Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nevada Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Nevada on
Q: Do I have to show identification to an police officer if i wasnt involved in a crime an didnt commit a crime?

I was illegaly detained an imprisoned by hotel security for a crime someone else did an I wasnt around the crime occured had no knowledge of the crime. Just for being an acquintance to the individual.

Malik Waqar Ahmad
Malik Waqar Ahmad
answered on Jan 11, 2022

It is your duty to fully cooperate with any lawful demand of the police officer. However, it is his job to determine the probable cause. The probable cause is a legal word which means he has justified reasons that you are invovled or had committed or violated a law. For instance, police cannot stop... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Nevada on
Q: I was granted temp custody in a tpo case in california. No other custody order was made and nevada became kids resident

I allowed extrnded visitation due to covid and to avoid stress on kids. Husband doesnt allow constant contact now and a child support lawsuit had been filed against me. What do i do? Do i file here in nevada or there in california?

Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
answered on Nov 18, 2020

Where to file depends a few factors.

- If you already have an open case then file where you have the open case.

- If you had a prior case that decided custody then you will either need to file in that state or file to domesticate/register your prior order in the new state. Once...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: What if someone put a hidden camera in my house and I don't know where it is?

What would happen if there are spy cams unknown to the owners in their homes? I’m suspecting that there are hidden cameras in my home. People seem to know what I've been up to in my home without telling anyone and I'm told that there are hidden cameras in my house. Is there a law that... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 5, 2020

I'm sorry for your ordeal. This is something a Nevada attorney could advise best on, but your question remains open for four weeks. You could look into the cost of investigators. To save money, you might be able to conduct some of your own investigations on the property. If you find that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Contracts and Identity Theft for Nevada on
Q: Can I still take legal action from my previous apartment Complex for breach of contract if accrued in 2015?

In 2015 The last day to pay rent to the apartments before eviction process would have tooken place, on the way to the office i got into a accident inside of the parking structure, i went back home dazed and when I came to , i had missed calls & voice mails from not only the apartment manager... Read more »

Joseph R Maridon Jr
Joseph R Maridon Jr
answered on May 4, 2020

The answer to your question can be found in NRS 11.190. To sue for breach of a written contract, you generally have 6 years. It appears, however, that you are complaining about much more than breach of contract. Any damage that you suffered as a result of any wrongful act or negligence on the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Construction Law, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Nevada on
Q: Is having no hot water in the house for 5 days and a two year old in the house with me considered as an emergency?

Home owners insurance company stated that it is not an emergency to have no running hot water for five days and a two year old in the house. That because it's a plumbing issue even though in they're policy it states otherwise.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 5, 2020

I'm sorry for your ordeal with a baby in the house. You could review the policy with a Nevada attorney, but if it is similar to most homeowner policies, the circumstances you describe might not be covered. Every policy is different and without seeing your policy, it's difficult to guess... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Nevada on
Q: Can someone who is homeless exist independently without becoming a criminal ?

So being homeless is a crime ?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Oct 2, 2019

Are you serious? Just because a person is homeless, they will invariably become criminals??

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Nevada on
Q: I have doctor's orders to get the smart meter off my house and they won't take it off my house how do I go about get him
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Jul 7, 2019

You don't. You have a number of choices. You could request your doctor give you a prescription for a medication to help you deal with the anxiety of having the smart meter on your house (Xanax, Prozac, Ativan - there are many options, if one does not work you could try something else). You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Nevada on
Q: This can go to the police record
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jun 8, 2018

Whatever you think. You did not ask a question

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Nevada on
Q: Does the officer that is doing the citizen arrest need to tell beforehand he is doing a citizen arrest? Or does the

Person that made a report to make a citizen arrest need to be there? I live in northern Nevada.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on May 26, 2018

Before hand what?

Why would the officer's action be a citizen's arrest?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Government Contracts for Nevada on
Q: I'd like to sue Barack Obama for giving 150 billion dollars of american tax payer dollars to Iran, without consent.

Since there are close to 250-300 million american workers that would bring my share to around 4.2 million dollars. I'd like to be compensated, since this was done without consent. Is there a lawyer who will take my case?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Mar 13, 2018

No. If there had been I'm sure it would have been done. There are a number of reasons way too long for me to give you.

Consider a similar thought--can someone sue the Congress for giving over a trillion dollars in tax breaks to wealthy people? No, that's what they do.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Civil Rights for Nevada on
Q: my dui case for weed was dismissed i wasnt guilty and did each field test twice, can i sue the city or county ?

I wasnt high at all and these cops made me do the eye test 3 times for 3 different cops and ended up goin to jail for dui marijuana 2 days before my court date i received a call my case was dismissed, what should i do? Just let it go? Or is that like false imprisonment or something

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
answered on Oct 1, 2016

Police officers generally have qualified immunity from lawsuits in the performance of their duties. Contact a personal injury or civil rights attorney if you wish, but don't be surprised if you are told there is nothing you can do.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Sexual Harassment, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: In Nv, is there anything that can stop or halt the moving of a prisoner based on the facts of discrimination by facility

He's been segregated in solitaire confinement by the NORTHERN NV CORRECTIONAL CENTER based on his health status and sexual orientation and discriminated against now for about 8.5 months. I contacted the facility after the DOJ stepped in and advised them that an attorney would be contacting... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Sep 3, 2016

Contact the Nevada Civil Liberties Union, and ask to speak with one of their "cooperating attorneys" for prison issues. They give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Nevada on
Q: Myself and others were recently illegally detained in a mental health hospital. Can this be a pro bono case?

The staff would try to illicit emotional responses by waking us all night, misdiagnosing us, throwing out accusations of substance abuse and attempting to bring us to mental health court with no legal grounds.

Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
answered on May 21, 2016

Any case can be a pro bono case if you find an attorney willing to do the case for free. If you believe you have a viable lawsuit for money damages, you do not necessarily need a pro bono lawyer. Many lawyers will give free consultations, and if they assess that you have a good case they will... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.