Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nevada Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Me & my now ex wife , had filed for divorce. We agreed on each person keeping their own stuff , we did not do 50/50 on

anything. The divorce status says case is closed. She is now saying she is going to sue me/change divorce because I recently sold my house & she wants money from that . Is she able to sue me or do that ? (Also I bought the house 4 years before we got married)

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 10, 2021

Once the divorce has been finalized and the notice of entry of Decree has been filed your divorce is final and the parties are bound by the Orders in the Decree.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Divorce for Nevada on
Q: As a witness in family court, can I listen to other witnesses before I give my testimony. I want them to know I’m listen

I want other witnesses to see me there listening. Not to change my own testimony or get the story straight. I feel I have the legal right to since it’s public

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Apr 29, 2021

It has been my experience, prior to COVID, that it was really up to the individual judges if they allowed the witnesses all in the courtroom at the same time. most of the time I found that it was one witness in the courtroom at one time. Since COVID, most appearances are virtual and processes are... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: My husband beat the crap out of me in April 2019. He spent jail time now he is OUT. I need a divorce
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Mar 3, 2021

You are free to file for divorce in any state where you can meet the state requirements for divorce. The only requirement for a divorce in Nevada is that you or your spouse have lived in the state for at least six weeks prior to filing your divorce. You have the right to begin the process at any... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Hi. I have been married for 25 years and i would like a divorce. What happens financially in Nevada?

We live in Las Vegas and were married here. Thank you.

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Mar 3, 2021

Nevada is a community property state, therefore all property, bank accounts, and other assets, as well as debts, acquired during the marriage are considered part of the marital estate. Both parties are automatically entitled to an equal share of the marital estate. Nevada family law courts do not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Can parties to a post nuptial stipulate to the state of jurisdiction. I.E. both reside in Nevada, but one or both move '

one or both move to Calif. and / or Oregon?

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 15, 2020

Post-nuptial agreements are recognized in all 50 states, regardless of where they were originally drafted and filed. However, many laws vary state to state, therefore, if a matter included in the post-nuptial agreement was pertinent to the laws in the state in which it was filed, that matter may... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: What to file with the court to notify of a spousal support pre payment ? Just so our case reflects the new ss end date

My ex was ordered to pay a car loan (the loan is in both our names) per our divorce decree, she is having trouble paying it, she has agreed to let me pay off the loan and deduct that amount from the remaining spousal support. What paperwork can we file with the court so this gets logged in our... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 15, 2020

I would recommend that you file a stipulation to modify the current spousal support court order. The modification should represent the new, agreed upon alimony amount that reflects what was deducted due to the car payment. Any other pre-payment should be made in the form of a check that is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for Nevada on
Q: I have 2 questions. Is a will still good after divorce? do I need to file divorce papers if it states im lefthousedeath?

Is a will still good after divorce? My mom remarried but ex step dad did not, thet were still friends having other kids together. The will leaves her pretty much everything is it still valid even though they divorced? My second ? In their divorce papers its stated that she is to be left the house... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 11, 2020

Nevada law does nullify an ex spouse as a beneficiary in a will dated before the time of divorce. All other beneficiaries in the will do however remain valid. If, as you say, the house was explicitly mentioned in the divorce decree as being left to your mother, then this may stand regardless of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Do I have any rights given the fact that you were married in a temple in March 15 but didn’t submit the paperwork

We got married in front of plenty of family and friends we both signed a Ketubah ( Jewish marriage contract ) with 2 witness signatures and the Rabbi we couldn’t file our paper work because of the Corona Virus

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 11, 2020

As long as the couple has a valid Nevada marriage license and the ceremony was performed by a Nevada licensed Officiant with at least one witness, then the marriage is legally recognized. The officiant’s failure to record the marriage documentation within the required 10 days after the ceremony... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Nevada on
Q: My mom and dad are divorced but still own land together in AZ. He is backing out of a verbal agreement, what can she do?

My mom and dad are divorced but still own land together in AZ. He is backing out of a verbal agreement, that they would put the land in mine and my sibling's name. There was no written contract or clause in their divorce about this land. Now he is stating that he only agreed to give my brother... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Dec 10, 2020

Unless there is some contract, she cannot force him to convey out. Examine the divorce decree carefully. In all likelihood the Mother's only recourse is to file an action for Partition. But even that does not put anything in your name as basically you have no legal standing.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Nevada on
Q: Legal separation, just separation or divorce before Green card interview?

My wife and I got married more than a year ago after dating a little more than two years. We got tired of not being able to be together all the time since I'm Mexican and she is a US citizen. So, We got married because we loved each other and filed the necessary docs to the USCIS with the help... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 3, 2020

I suggest discussing your situation with an experienced Immigration attorney regarding your green card application. As for the divorce, it appears you are on your wife’s timeline as to when the divorce will occur or become final. In Nevada, a spouse cannot delay or refuse a divorce if the other... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Financial abuse

My husband has decided that he will only pay for the house payment and all of the other money is his. I only make enough money to cover medical insurance. He has paid all of the other bills for 25 years. He has decided that all of the money is his and too bad for me. Should I file separation and... Read more »

Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino answered on Nov 2, 2020

I am sorry for the way you are being treated. Only you can decide if you are ready to file for separation or divorce. You can request support with both a divorce or with a legal separation.

Also, once you file with the court you can also file for a request for Joint Preliminary Injunction....
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Nevada on
Q: I need a divorce and I have a year in a half son with the person I got married to.
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Aug 19, 2020

Since there are children involved, I would highly recommend seeking an experienced Family Law attorney to make sure your rights and interests are well represented. Once Child Custody and Child Support arrangements are ordered by the court, they can be difficult and expensive to modify. My position... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Divorce question, a housewife married for 30 years file a divorce and receive asset (division of property) and support?

The property the husband had before the marriage, asset value increased from 300,000 to 3 million during the marriage. Can wife be entitled to have share value?

The prenuptial agreement was signed without knowing (did not understand English) 30 years ago. Does it mean the wife gets nothing... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Aug 7, 2020

This may depend on the specifics of the prenuptial agreement, however, in general if the wife can prove that the increase in value is in some part due to financial decisions made within the marriage or from the marital estate, such as renovations, cleaning/maintenance/up-keep, mortgage payments,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Can the father of my child take full custody while being in prision?

The father of my child sent me a divorce letter via mail while he is locked up (he still locked up) He was never a responsible father, didn’t payed child support (he only twice and not the right amount) in fact that’s the reason why he’s a jail. In reality I want nothing to do with him, I... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Aug 7, 2020

A parent cannot have physical custody of a child when incarcerated. If anything, it is more likely that the court may award the custodial parent full or sole custody, if not permanently, at least temporarily while the other parent is incarcerated. The only possible custody the incarcerated parent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Can my husband get me for back child support now after my son graduated and we havent filed divorce yet
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Aug 7, 2020

First and foremost, you are doing the right thing to do your research and consult with a legal representative rather than to fall victim to the fear of situations you may believe, or have been told by those who may not have your best interest in mind. It’s important to not let these... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: How do I get partial custody to have extended periods of time with my child who my wife has taken out of state.

I’m in a legal separation, my wife went on what I thought was a quick trip to see her family and ended up not coming back. She then filed for legal separation. I have had one hearing already and the judge when I asked for my wife to be ordered to return with my child because I did not give... Read more »

Kristofer D. Leavitt
Kristofer D. Leavitt answered on Jan 26, 2018

You will need to seek an temporary or permanent order from the judge. You may be able to do this within the legal separation proceedings or you may need to start formal divorce/child custody proceedings.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Products Liability for Nevada on
Q: I bought myself a second car after we were married. We are seperated and he took the car in ny name. What can i do

We seperated because of ohysical abuse on his part. He left nevada and went to oregon. I offered to give him the title he refused to sign it

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 29, 2017

The car is a liability. Suggest you talk to a family law attorney, as you'll want a divorce anyway.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: i married a man from Canada 8 years ago in Nevada i need to know if i am still married to him.

he took off in 2010 with all of my jewelry and money. i have been homeless ever since.. I need help i called the Attorney General and was told i could do nothing because we were married.. if i am still his wife can i get spousal support? He must be rich i was his 7th wife

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 25, 2017

You may seek a divorce, if you want to. If he has remarried, you can alert the authorities re: bigamy. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Affidavit for service by publication.

Hello, I live in Las Vegas and I filed divorce I have 2 kids that live with me....I do not know her address and she wont give it to me, she currently lives in North Dakota. She abandoned the 2 babies and left them with me. I filed my divorce papers with affidavit for service by publication also... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 26, 2015

If there is a final hearing, the court might ask you if everything you filed is current. You would have to say that your affidavit of due diligence is not current because you did get the email from her. It would be best if you replied to the email notifying her of the divorce and requesting her... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: "VA Disability Compensation is NOT community property, but can be included in computing total income"

What NV law covers this statement for divorce cases? No one has been able to show me anything. I am NOT retired military, receive 100% VA Disability Compensation for injuries received during Vietnam, prior to marriage!!

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 29, 2015

My suggestion is to go have a full discussion with a local family lawyer to learn about your specific issue here. The lawyer will be able to ask you questions and get answers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.