Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nevada Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Nevada on
Q: Summary eviction what to do next if a appeal is granted and summary of eviction is denied
Katie Marie Charleston
Katie Marie Charleston answered on Aug 10, 2021

You have 10 days to file an appeal of a summary eviction action in Nevada. I recommend retaining counsel to help you navigate the appeal and comply with time and procedural requirements.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: How do I kick out a grown child who doesn’t pay rent and was told to move out in a month?

She moved back in after being kicked out by a boyfriend and was told she could live with me if she followed my rules and if she did she had until April and if she didn’t the date would change. She hasn’t and I told her that she had a month to move out because I want her gone and she is... Read more »

Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino answered on Oct 17, 2020

I am sorry you’ve been put in this situation. If she’s an adult you must follow the normal eviction procedures including timelines and notices.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Can a landlord increase rent after you sign a new lease agreement but before your original one expires?
Joseph R Maridon Jr
Joseph R Maridon Jr answered on May 4, 2020

You rent amount will be stated in the lease, along with the date that it become effective. New leases generally start at the expiration of the old lease, but the parties are generally free to negotiate for any date they want.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Probate and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: My dad died and nobody contacted me to inform me of his death. I just found out that my aunt had moved in after he died

And now is selling all his stuff. There is no will, im an only child and he was never married so I should be in charge of his property, belongings, etc. yet the cops won't help me cuz of "squatters rights". I live in ID so it makes it difficult. I can't afford an attorney what am I supposed to do?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Sep 15, 2019

Hire a probate attorney near where your dad lived. The estate pays the legal fees.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Re-read Lease agreement for Las Vegas apartment. Several spots refer to California Law, not Nevada Law.

My son's former Signifcant Other and he moved to Las Vegas with their children and leased an apartment together on May 1 to save money. My son has had to come to Oregon because of a family issue. In re-reading his lease agreement there are several areas where the document refers to California... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 7, 2019

The agreement is likely worth less than the value of the paper upon which it was printed (or written in crayon - it does not sound like a very well thought out document). I would still be extremely careful in the way in which your son separates himself from this less than sophisticated landlord. I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Nevada. Three dogs. One is esa. Am I required to tell potential landlord before applying if their pet allowance is 2 dog

I have three dogs one is documented as my emotional support animal by my doctor of several years. Am I required to inform potential landlords that I have an ESA before I apply to be a tenant ? The rental property I am interested in has a two pet policy, although I have three dogs one is ESA.... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 7, 2019

Probably not. There are a few limited exceptions to the Fair Housing Act but, unless one of the exceptions applies, the ESA is not considered a pet and therefore should not affect your ability to have two pets.

If you were my client I would advise you to tell the landlord up front that you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Landlord mentions they'll take away our belongings at property, if its not removed by this week. Eviction served 9day ag

Hi,im sam hahn, been processed with a eviction on 16th of october,2018 at borgata condomiums. I thought THE law-officer onsite who processes the eviction mentioned, we have 30days to remove our belongings from the propertie. But the landlord's keeps mentions theyll give us 2hours before this... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Oct 25, 2018

The landlord can’t touch your possessions until he has been granted possession of the premises by the court. If he touches your stuff before then, you will have a cause of action against the landlord.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: How do I go about getting accepted back to the state I live in when I’m getting the run around.

If you got in trouble in another state (CA) for a felony (evading a peace officer) and you have a lease with an apartment complex in another state (NV) but they don’t accept felons but you already have a lease with them prior to the incident do they have to accept you back? Or tell your PO it’s... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 22, 2018

You may be able to cancel your lease under force majeure.

You also may be able to travel to Nevada for a short period to get all your stuff, but you may have to reguister with the Sheriff when there

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Landlord - Tenant and Wrongful Death for Nevada on
Q: Can an apartment complex be held responsible for injury sustained from a falling stove since it was not secured?
Eric Steven Day
Eric Steven Day answered on May 30, 2018

The apartment complex can be held responsible for an injury resulting from a fallen stove, it would just depend on a few factors. Was the stove installed negligently? Did the apartment complex have any other complaints of a similar nature? (Notice).

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Me and a friend took our names off the lease because of issues between another friend, but we still got a bill.

Why did they charge us if we already took our names off the lease

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Apr 3, 2018

A lease is a contract. I don't know what you mean when you state that your names were taken off the lease. Unless the landlord agreed to amend the lease to remove you as tenants or unless the lease expired and you vacated, you are subject to its terms.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Wrongful Death, Nursing Home Abuse and Public Benefits for Nevada on
Q: My MIL passed away, and was a part of low income housing program in Las Vegas, and we feel there was severe neglect

Housing authority did annual inspec. to the apt she lived in since 1990. She was a hoarder,had agoraphobia and OCD. She had severe health problems due to the bed bug infestation that she had for (apparently) more than 5 yrs. They would come to do inspections, tell her to "clear paths to the... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 10, 2017

Suggest you contact a member of the Nevada Trial Lawyers Association who handles things like nursing home neglect. They give free consults. Generally, the landlord would not be under a duty to get the tenant help. I'm surprised they let it go that far, but I don't see a jury saying they... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Personal Injury, Wrongful Death and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Can I use a dog pen as an enclosure instead of a chain link fence as required in the rules.

This rule is so that they can extort money out of tenants and charge them or raise their rent. They do this every year when tenants get their energy assistance money. They try to take is from them. There are numerous trailers without the required fence and some use boards and and wood fencing.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2017

The landlord controls the terms. They can say no pets., They can say no pets unless they are in a stainless steel enclosure. They can say what they want. Don't like it--move.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Husband signs a lease agreement, wife did not sign. Husband dies, is the wife bound to the contract?
Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Feb 25, 2017

If he signed a lease for your residence, that could be different from a business property lease, but the ordinary rule is that contractual obligations are personal and do not extend to a non-signatory spouse.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Can I ask for a deposit back when landlord breaks a leasing contract and I move out earlier than the termination date?
Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino answered on Jan 5, 2015

You can always ask. Request the return of the deposit in writing and send the request by certified mail. This way you have proof you made the request. Please note the the deposit is usually used make sure the property is left is suitable condition and many landlords find reasons to keep the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: Can I use "certified mail" instead of "certificate of mailing" for an eviction prosess in Las Vegas, NV???

The post office lady said that the best way to send anything legal is "certified mail with return recipt", so I did.

But now, checking againg the 5-day notice I send, it says that it needed to be a certificate of mailing... So tha will make it invalid, does it work for anything?... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jul 13, 2012

A Certificate of Mailing is a written filing to the court by a lawyer or litigant stating that such and such was mailed to a person. In many cases a court will not give you what you ask for unless you file the Certificate of Mailing which is simply your written statement that on such and such a... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.