Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nevada Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: If I told my spouse that I have had an addiction to meth, is that considered domestic violence?

My wife filed a TPO because I informed her that I would use meth off and on for the past two years. She’s claiming that my behavior was a threat to her and our kids safety and that constitutes domestic violence acts against her and our two daughters. Is she right? I know I did wrong, but I told... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Nov 15, 2021

Under the Nevada Statues, the following are acts that constitute Domestic Violence - an addiction to meth is not included in this list.

battery; assault; forcing or threatening force to compel someone to do something they have a right to refuse; sexual assault; harassing behaviors, such as...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Nevada on
Q: What can i do if a judge is being bias in my custody case

A ruling was made and i filed an appeal does the same judge have say so over my appeal

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Nov 15, 2021

Normally when a case in family law is appealed, it goes to the Court of Appeals and has a new judge assigned. It is important to know that appeals are very lengthy, costly and complicated and not every case can be appealed.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Trying to move out of Nevada with minor son, no custody order. What do I need to do in order to move legally?

I am the primary custodial parent, child lives with me full time.

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Nov 7, 2021

As long as there is no court involvement, you are legally free to move with your child out of state. Both parents have the same rights to their children absent any court orders and thus the other parent may oppose this move and may file a motion with the court that may prevent your move.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Nevada on
Q: Living in family owned home father died.

His wife trying to evict me. Can I stay this and compel the will be produced?How do I go about this? A general form to compell to produce the WILL and stay eviction.

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Nov 4, 2021

Your situation sounds like it may benefit from speaking to a probate attorney. unfortunately our firm doesn't handle these types of matters but I am certain you can get assistance from a probate attorney. wishing you the best.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada on
Q: Judge gave custody of children to ex-husband. They do not want to live with father. Judge won't ask children. What to do

I've been in custody fight for 2 years. Court recently awarded father custody. My children don't want to live with their father, but judge won't speak with them (Girls- Ages 10, 12, 13) When I took them to meeting place, they would not go with thier father and police came. Police did... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Nov 3, 2021

Although I understand and sympathize with your situation, generally speaking children younger than 15 or 16 years of age do not usually get to make decision as to custody preference. However, you might be able to have the children interviewed to see if the children's hesitation to go with the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice for Nevada on
Q: How would I obtain a hospitals documented timeline of my father's health while he was in there care?

My father is currently in a Nevada hospital, now at day 5 we're told he might not make it. He was having cold like symtoms and slight shortness of breath, he was contemplating even going but decided to just to have them take a look just in case. He wasn't struggling, no signs of of lack... Read more »

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik answered on Oct 24, 2021

The hospital’s medical records. Also known as the chart.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Nevada on
Q: What is a trustee's final report and account?

I had a voluntary dismissal of my chapter 13 case about 4 weeks ago. I received notice that the case was closed however I have not received trustee's final report and account. What is it?

How long does it take to get?

Lloyd M. Nolan
Lloyd M. Nolan answered on Oct 21, 2021

The Trustee is required to make the report. It is merely an Accounting of what monies you paid in, what amounts the Trustee paid out, the Trustees fees and the balance if any remaining and where it went. The Trustee is showing you and the Court where the money went. You don't need to fo... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Education Law and Health Care Law for Nevada on
Q: What are my options for if I’m injured at school?

I’m in medical assistant school and one of the other students gave me possible nerve damage at some point during a vein puncture or injection. I went to the doctor after alerting my teacher and the doctor told me my symptoms sounded like nerve damage and to see a specialist if I don’t see... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 16, 2021

A Nevada attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. You ask about your options. A starting point could be to try to arrange a consult with an attorney. Most law firms that handle injury cases offer free initial consults. Whether or not an attorney identifies the basis... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada on
Q: If I go to police station saying I’m concerned of my nephews well being? Haven’t spoke to him for 7 month

I raised my nephew 2-6 yrs old hrs 8 now his dad never was around my sister really dnt care about his future she doesn’t even let him comb his hair with gel she moved to Vegas in March I haven’t spoke to him my sister doesn’t let him contact me out of spite n jealousy well I heard she was... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Oct 12, 2021

it is a very commendable thing you have done in caring for your nephew. unfortunately if there is no court order giving you rights to custody or guardianship of your nephew, you don't really have legal rights.

if you are concerned about the safety of your nephew, you can always ask...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Probate for Nevada on
Q: Me and brother are the last surviving children my mother has 3 grandkids from my sister and brother that has past do my

Nephew n niece have any rights to the house n assets we have no will

Dara Joy Goldsmith
Dara Joy Goldsmith answered on Oct 4, 2021

Assuming your mother was a raiders t of Nevada when she died, pursuant to Nevada intestate law, her deceased children’s grandchildren step into their deceased parent’s shoes. That being said, assuming your deceased siblings each had at least one child, the estate would be divided in four, on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: If my daughter lives with my mom but I still have full custody of her, who is legally responsible for her?

My husband, my daughter and I were living with my mom. My adult son also lives there. My mom kicked me and my husband out but my daughter stayed because we have no place and are now homeless. My mother is not taking my kid to school or making her do her work. We told my mom when she kicked us out... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Oct 3, 2021

Unless there is a court order giving your parents either guardianship or custody of the children, both parents are still legally responsible for the children.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: How strict is this NEvada Jurisdiction requirement. one spouse there for 6 weeks ?

Can the nexus argument be used? History, business, multiple houses. I am curently block from the Nevada house.

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Sep 27, 2021


The Nevada Judge will require a filed form to confirm your residency in Las Vegas for more than 6 weeks.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Me and the Father of my kids DON'T get along but he insist in order for him to help me he has to be at my house

If not he won't help me and he has another child with someone else and she has no problem after taking him to court but I've tried to work with him but his abusive and won't help if his not at my house my Question what do I do he has his own place well he lives with son and takes... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Sep 21, 2021


This can be a frustrating situation.

Our firm believes in having a Custody Decree in place so the expectations and rules are in writing and filed with the court. Having this protection allows both parties to have a guideline or "rulebook" to follow to co-parent...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Agricultural Law for Nevada on
Q: We ,own a golf course within city limits, are we required to keep free range cattle off of our golf course?
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 21, 2021

Even generally, you, as golf course owners must control the perimeter of your golf course to ensure that random animals do not destroy or interfere with the gold course operations. If you still have concerns, reach out to the municipal or county office to receive the appropriate guidance on that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: When does it become to late to sign your rights over and grant temporary custody to a family member to get rid of CPS

I’m going to trial this month. Can I sign temporary guardianship to my mother and have this case dropped? When does this option no longer apply?

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Sep 19, 2021

Generally speaking, a temporary guardianship does not prevent the court from proceeding with a CPS case. It is best to speak with the attorney in the case to inquire as to what she/he is willing to accept to meet the best interests of the child involved.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Personal Injury for Nevada on
Q: It has taken almost 30 days for American Home shield to get air compressor fixed still broke is this legal?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 13, 2021

A Nevada attorney could advise best. but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you're able to reach a local attorney, it could be worth noting that these types of settings are often governed provisions of the contract between the parties. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Military Law for Nevada on
Q: Can someone get their parents their papers even if they have been discharged from the military.

The papers have already been sent to D.C. for processing so they can get their citizenship. This started because of the enlistment into the military and the constant talk with a lawyer. But if the person is discharged, can they still get their parents their papers?

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 13, 2021

Possibly, based on one's military discharge status and other factors. You indicated the parents do have a licensed immigration counsel which should be the best legal route as that professional should be intimately familiar with the case fine, correspondence, case filing and evidentiary case support.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Nevada on
Q: I am in need of a lawyer to right an opinion letter based on a person injury claim which seems to be a nuisance claim.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 31, 2021

A Nevada attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You could reach out to attorneys to ask for the cost of writing such a letter. But more important than that, what is the nature of the claim being made - if the claim is in the form of a summons and complaint to initiate... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Collections, Identity Theft and Social Security for Nevada on
Q: Credit report account made but not by me?

So I go to credit karma to make acc. They tell me a acc already made with a email. And told me what email. My biological fathers. And so on. Apparently goes on it everyday? Why? My credit. I’m 25. I am mentally disable. Growing up. I guess as a aunt said. He used me for debt. Wells Fargo credit... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Aug 30, 2021

If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, then you need to take action right away. Go to - it is a website managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - and they will help you with a recovery... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada on
Q: I have been here illegally for over 20 years, came over on an F1. I have decided to return home in a few weeks...

to Singapore. My father has cancer and cannot fly so I plan to go to him. My plan was to go to the airport with my valid passport but expired visa and leave. Any advice on if this is the right course of action.

would love to know I won't be detained and miss my flight.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Aug 20, 2021

OK so anyone who has overstayed his visa by more than 12 months and exits the United States is then barred from returning to the United States for a period of 10 years. If you have overstayed your visa by 20 years and then leave to go back to Singapore, you will not under immigration law be able to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.