Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Hampshire Animal / Dog Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for New Hampshire on
Q: For a minor dog bite in New Hampshire how do I go about filing a lawsuit? I did go to the hospital

It required no stitches, but it was bad enough that I will have a permanent scar for the rest of my life. I went to the hospital, they cleaned it and gave me antibiotics. I had to revisit the ER a couple weeks later because it wasn’t getting any better, but eventually healed up after a long... Read more »

Neil Nicholson
Neil Nicholson answered on Apr 16, 2021

The process to file a lawsuit in NH can be found by looking at the NH Judicial Branch website. The rules in Superior Court can be found here:

NH dog bite law is favorable towards victims. The facts you provide support that you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for New Hampshire on
Q: If a person alleges to have been bitten by a dog & goes to the ER and no report is filed report is proof of no bite met?
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on May 8, 2018

Have you seen the report? The report form a hospital emergency room or doctor should state the injury complained of and a finding by the assisting nurse or physician.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for New Hampshire on
Q: My mom was watching my dog while i didnt know if i could keep her and gave her away. Do i have rights?

Long story short. Im in a complicated situation. And we weren't sure if we could keep our dog. My mom offered to take her and help find a home with us. I told her we still needed to talk it through and wanted to see her before any final decisions were made. We did want to keep options open... Read more »

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Feb 21, 2018

Interesting situation from a legal standpoint, it could come down to who has legal possession and legal right to give the dog away. If your mom did not have legal right you need to to put the new owner on notice asap because you may not be able to get the dog back. You may have to file a civil suit... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for New Hampshire on
Q: Is there anyway I can care for a dog that has a bad owner?

A couple days ago I was on Facebook and saw a young lady post on a public pet page that she needed someone to care for her 9 month old golden retriever because she couldn’t have it at her moms house. I offered with the exception that she payed for food, vet bills, and bought a cage. Immediately,... Read more »

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Feb 16, 2018

Do you really think she is going to come back for Clifford? Keep a copy of the Facebook message-it seemed to me that when she stated "care" she meant for good. if she wants him back a civil case could be started to argue that she meant for you to keep Clifford. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for New Hampshire on
Q: asked my gf to move out. she took my two dogs registered to me can i report stolen ? New hampshire
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Feb 14, 2018

You should be able to report the dogs stolen to your local police department if you really believe they were solely yours and she had no ownership interest in them, otherwise it would be a civil matter and you may have to go to court to have a judge decide rightful possession and ownership-or even... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Car Accidents for New Hampshire on
Q: Someone hit my dog after she got of leach is the driver responsible
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 27, 2016

If the dog is running free unlikely--the only circumstance would be if neutral witnesses say the dog lay down in the middle of the road and the driver, slowly and purposefully, ran over him. Even then the claim for the dog is the market value of a dog of that age. There is no recovery for any... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.