Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Hampshire Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Civil Rights for New Hampshire on
Q: I was charged with a simple domestic assault charge a couple months ago, and just got caught attempting to steal food

My court papers say that if I’m charged with any federal or misdemeanor crimes within the next 2 years than it’s a mandatory 30 days in jail. I was caught in hannaford with 50$ worth of items for my family and got caught, and I have a court hearing for the case 2 months from now. I’m the only... Read more »

Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden answered on Aug 30, 2021

There is always a chance. Your best bet is to contact a competent defense lawyer in your area. If you qualify for a public defender request an attorney. Do not try to handle this on your own. A suspended sentence is not imposed until a final order from a court. Do not discuss case with anyone... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Municipal Law and Probate for New Hampshire on
Q: Good behaviour

Good afternoon, i was put on good behaviour for a violation on January 7th, 2019 and it ended on January 7th, 2020. I got arrested OUT OF STATE for an unfortunate violent crime on August 2019. It says i can annulle the violation after the period. Is that possible it will get annulled or will I need... Read more »

Andrew S. Winters
Andrew S. Winters answered on Feb 8, 2021

I think I understand your question to mean you were convicted in New Hampshire for a violation on 1/7/19 with a one year good behavior period. You want to get that conviction annulled but in August of 2019 you were arrested for a different charge in New York. I assume that charge is still pending?... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for New Hampshire on
Q: On June 22 my nephew came into my home, I asked if he was armed. He refused to answer. He did say I should be afraid of

My nephew and his wife were going to lease my house but because of a disagreement with the pet section of the lease, he, his wife and his father came to my house on June 22. When I told them that the pet section was clearly written, they began to swear and yell at me. As this melee escalated, I... Read more »

Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden answered on Jun 24, 2020

I am not sure I heard a question. It seems more like a statement. It also appears as though you are concerned about your safety and if you think a crime has occurred you may want to report it to the police.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Child Custody for New Hampshire on
Q: my ex girlfriend was just arrested for domestic violence against her mother, can I get full custody of my son?

I have primary custody of my 6 year old son and my ex girlfriend has visitation 3 weekends a month. My ex girlfriend lives with her mother and was just arrested for becoming belligerent and throwing things through windows. My friend lives next door to her and has also said that she believes my ex... Read more »

Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly answered on May 30, 2018

You can file an ex parte motion to temporarily prevent parenting time with the mother so long as you can show that your son will suffer irreparable harm or injury if the relief requested is not granted. You would file this motion by going to the family court where your parenting plan was issued.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for New Hampshire on
Q: I want to move out of state from an abusive father of my 8 year old. What are my options?
Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly answered on May 30, 2018

You should report the abuse to DCYF and obtain a protective order. You should seek court approval prior to moving out of state.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for New Hampshire on
Q: in nh during a child abuse case if someone is called in for questioning do they have to go in willingly

Meaning the alleged perpetrator.... not jist a witness

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Apr 4, 2018

It would depend on the person's relation to the allegation. If someone is simply an alleged witness to the allegation then you would not have to speak to anyone if you did not want to. If it eventually arises to a criminal charge then a subpoena could be issued for a trial, but lawyers and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for New Hampshire on
Q: In NH, a protection order is placed. Defendant is at a restaurant and victim walks in after. Who has to leave?
Joseph Caulfield
Joseph Caulfield answered on Dec 8, 2015

Courts generally rule that the defendant must leave.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.