Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Hampshire Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: If I am going to court for underage possession of tobacco do I have to take a urine test?
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Sep 9, 2019

To answer fully I would need more information, but it seems that in New Hampshire that urine screens are only conducted IF once found guilty and in a probation or drug treatment program; IF participating in a drug treatment programs or assessment to get into such a program; or sometimes when... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: Can I represent a friend in a New Hampshire court of law?

I am an 18 year old civilian without a law license.

Andrew S. Winters
Andrew S. Winters answered on Feb 17, 2019

Theoretically, the law allows for this. Read RSA 311:1:

HOWEVER, I would never recommend this to either the potential litigant or the person thinking about representation this way. It is very likely to end badly for all involved....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: My son paid a fine in court but he just got a paper in the mail saying he needs to pay? He already did! Plz help...

My son was charge with criminal mischief a few months back. He paid a fine of $300.00 and that was that I thought. He just got a paper in the mail saying he has to pay $310.00. But he already paid! I dont get it at all. Someone plz help? I dont want my son to go to jail over this! We dont have that... Read more »

Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly answered on May 2, 2018

If he paid by credit card or check you should obtain the records to bring to the court to show proof of payment. The court should have issued a receipt, you should try to find it and bring it to the clerk's office. I hope this helps.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: A student at a public high school performed a lewd sexual act in class. Principal verified claim but nothing done.

The staff did not inform the principal. He had heard nothing about it until I contacted him. After speaking with students and staff he verified the claims and told me the child would be removed from the class. That did not happen. When I followed up he told me he never said that and that the child... Read more »

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Feb 13, 2018

I would contact the members of your school board or any other elected officials in your town or city.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: Hello my child is currently in juvenile court over a charge of a pot pipe. She has a lawyer and I asked him to appeal

He said he couldn't do this because he would violate a code of ethics. I am her mother and I am ordered to pay him and he won't listen to me? Is that true? New Hampshire

Joseph D Garrison
Joseph D Garrison answered on Apr 1, 2017

Although you are the parent and a party to the case, the lawyer's duty is to the child. The child is the one who needs to tell the lawyer what they want to do.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for New Hampshire on
Q: My son has been dating this girl 3 years younger than him for almost 3 years. He will be turning 18 this year.illegal?

She lives in nh.he lives in massachusetts.

Joseph D Garrison
Joseph D Garrison answered on Apr 1, 2017

Dating is fine but if they are having intercourse, that is illegal.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for New Hampshire on
Q: what can I do about my son being assaulted at school?

my son was at school last Thursday and at recess he had an altercation with another boy in which this boy head butt my son in the chest took my sons glasses off his face and proceeded to break them, then he grabbed my sons arm and bit him causing severe bruising the school assured me that this... Read more »

Dennis Hernandez
Dennis Hernandez answered on Oct 7, 2016

I would refer to an attorney for a consultation. Situations like this can be delicate, but if you feel that your son's rights have been violated, then you have the ability to dig further into the situation.

Best of luck

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: if im sixteen and pregant and im on probation and i runaway what will happen?

im pregnant and on pobation and im planning on running away because i might get sent away for violating probation

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 22, 2016

Running away will make it worse. Stay put and get an attorney. If you are indigent, the court can appoint an attorney. What kind of life do you expect to live as a young, pregnant runaway?

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: Im a 14 year old male, is it legal for me to hit a 17 year old male in New Hampshire.

What if the other person provokes the fight and I feel threatened by him

Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra answered on Feb 10, 2016

It's never legal to hit someone. You could be charged with assault and battery. If your friend was sexually abused, speak to an adult you trust, or notify local law enforcement.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Q: In New Hampshire, is it legal for a minor to use an e-cigarette if the e-juice in the e-cigarette contains zero nicotine
Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra answered on Jan 12, 2016

It's unclear whether RSA 126-K, which prohibits e-cigarette use by minors in NH, applies only when the device actually uses nicotine vapor, or applies to all devices CAPABLE of producing such a vapor. However, from a practical standpoint, law enforcement has no way of knowing whether or not... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.