Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Hampshire Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: Is it legal in NH to record a verbally abusive neighbor from an apartment hallway without their knowledge.

My upstairs neighbor is extremely verbally abusive and has physically threatened her kids and me. I want to make it clear to the property management company how bad it is and want to record her from the hallway. NH is a two party consent state but the law seems to be written around direct... Read more »

Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden answered on Jun 5, 2021

NH is a consent recording state, but if the person is yelling so loudly that it can be heard in a public place then I would agree they have no expectation of privacy. It seems like you could record from your own apartment or the hallway, do not amplify or use any device to enhance the sound.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: Id like to know the laws about towing in new Hampshire. If they are supposed to release the vehicle if I'm there.

After work I visit my boyfriend at his apartment complex. My boyfriend owns the apartment and his HOA says nothing about not being able to have guests daily. I used the vistor parking. No stickers are required. I followed every rule. But I looked out the window and saw them trying to take my car. I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 26, 2020

A New Hampshire attorney could advise best, but you await a response for three weeks. Unfortunately, if you hired legal representation, the costs would exceed your damages, with no guaranteed outcome. You could look into small claims court in your county. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: Can I buy a private forest and build a castle?


I'm interested in the question:

If I want to buy a private forest in the United States and build a castle in this forest. What are the limitations?

For example, what laws speak of private forests. If I breed animals in my forests, will these animals be my... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 26, 2019

This sounds like a matter that's better suited for sitting down with your architect and attorney to discuss in detail, rather than it is for quick answers on a question and answer board because it's possible you would need to consider environmental, sanitation, conservation, wildlife, and... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: How do I file for a Motion for a Relief from Stay in NH? Tenant filed for Chapter 7 before signing his lease.

We are trying to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent, but understand we cannot file for a Writ until we file a Motion for Relief from Stay even though he filed for bankruptcy before signing our lease. Is this correct, and where/how can we file for this motion?

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien answered on Mar 17, 2019

Unless you as the landlord secured a writ of possession from the state court prior to the filing of the tenant's bankruptcy petition, you will be required to file a motion for an order for relief from the automatic stay from the bankruptcy court. From the date of the filing of the motion, it... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: My landlord is expecting me to pay his electricity an if I choose not to he's raising my rent up each month.
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Jan 10, 2019

Look at the rental agreement or lease you signed, read what it states about paying for utilities and follow the written document that you have. I don't understand why you would be paying for his electricity so I cant figure out what the agreement-if any-you have with the landlord.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: If I have a specific eviction date is there a way for me to make payments on the past due amount and have it be legal

Eviction date is 12-31-18. Im waiting to see if I can get state and/or a church's assistance.

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Dec 12, 2018

You can always ask the landlord to extend. If the eviction is not court ordered then they must evict you through the courts, which will take about 14-30 days to get the hearing date, the court may also allow you to pay the amount due plus costs and void the eviction.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: i rented out a room in my single family home. Owner Occupied house. the renter was here for 30.days and moved out withou

notice. can security deposit be applied to next month rent as no notice was given. monthly rental

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Nov 5, 2018

Was there anything in writing evidencing that it was a month to month rental? Be very careful with security deposits, the courts do not like it when they are not given back, and not giving it back can result in attorney fees and damages against you for not doing so without proper legal grounds.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: My son who is disabled had a verbal lease month to month with his girlfriend. In the process an aquatance established .

Residency and wont leave. Can the landlord hold me or my son responsible for this person who wont leave?

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Nov 5, 2018

If in fact, as you state, she has a month to month tenancy, then you have to give her 30 days notice to quit the apartment. These cases are tricky, if she won't leave, you should hire an landlord tenant attorney. attorney Brian Shaughnessy is the attorney I use to evict my own tenants. He is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: Does my previous landlady have 30 days to return security deposit from when I returned keys, or end of my 30 day notice?

I gave notice that I would move out by March 10th, but returned the keys to the landlady on February 25th. She acknowledged receipt of the keys, but has not returned my security deposit not a list of repairs that will prevent it from being returned. She has also been minimally responsive when I... Read more »

Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Apr 4, 2018

The date you left the premises if after the end of the lease or rental period, not before, unless by agreement of the parties. Read the Lease to see what it states.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Hampshire on
Q: My landlord entered my apt without permission not for any emergency twice is the lease still valid? Can I leave?
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur answered on Dec 8, 2017

What are the reason(s) the landlord stated for having to go into your apartment? Check your Lease to see what the conditions are for him to do so, most leases contain a clause that they can enter in emergency situations. If it was not an emergency you should call the police and file a report,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for New Hampshire on
Q: Can I sue college for inhabitable dorm conditions?

My daughter is living in a college dorm and there is an intercom system in the building. Each room has a ceiling speaker that is very very loud. The speaker comes on every night and a scary clicking sound like a horror movie comes on. You also hear people talking in the background and sometimes... Read more »

Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra answered on Mar 10, 2016

Yes, you most likely could. All lessees of real estate, including students in dorms, have a right to the quiet enjoyment of their residences.

Now, as a practical matter lawsuits are very expensive. It could easily cost $2,000 just to file such a lawsuit. If it went all the way to trial,...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.