Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New York on
Q: Hello, is there a site that would specifically instruct me on how to fill out ny divorce papers?

It is uncontested.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 23, 2021

Your question is best suited for the experienced divorce attorneys here. But your post remains open for two weeks. Until you're able to reach out to an attorney who is knowledgeable in this area, here is a link to the New York State Unified Court System's divorce resources:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for New York on
Q: Is the estate of the deceased responsible for the maintenance of his/her home or are those inheriting the house?

Before the will goes to probate, what is New York State law?

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Jun 23, 2021

Those inheriting the house, but while in the name of the estate, the fiduciary needs to keep the beneficiary apprised of expense issues, and the transfer should be done ASAP upon probate.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for New York on
Q: Who holds the copyright for material published on a blog?

Hi. If I write an article for a blog, who holds the copyright to the work, the author or the publisher? I am writing without payment or signed agreement and I am credited as the writer. The blog is supported by paid advertising if that matters. Do I, as the writer, have the right to publish the... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jun 22, 2021

You are the owner

Unless you are giving the rights to somebody else

Consult with an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for New York on
Q: If a person applies for a job and they are called for an phone interview for that company and Human Resources advises

that they interested in you and you follow all protocol by staying in touch etc. Then they decide to tell you the position has been filled and then you find out they reposted the job. Is there any bias here because they show interest in you and they tell you they filled the position and now it is... Read more »

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba answered on Jun 22, 2021

Why not apply for the reposted position?

Many say that it is a very tight job market. An employee's choice. The candidate they selected may have accepted a better offer or failed to show for their first day of work. Human Resources thought the position was filled and here they are. Or...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New York on
Q: If a will indicates two beneficiaries, who both predecease the testatrix, who is the lawful distributee?

B (NY, died in 2017) left her estate in a 1961 will to two sisters; A (NY) and M (FL). The two sisters predeceased B. Beneficiaries to A's estate are her two children (NY & MA). Living beneficiaries to M's estate are her & B's brother, P (CA), and a niece, M (FL).

Julie King
Julie King answered on Jun 21, 2021

The answer will depend on what the will says. If the will has no "back up" people to receive the inheritance if the people listed as first choice have passed away, the inheritance will likely go to B's heirs by law. You should make an appointment with a probate attorney and have the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Intellectual Property for New York on
Q: I prepared many policies and procedures for my employer. Do I have any legal ownership of the documents I created

Documents including operating templates created by myself all on my personal laptop not issued through the business. All budgets and analysis's have been created on my laptop. Are any of these documents legally my property considering I created it all from scratch on my laptop.

Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich answered on Jun 20, 2021

It's most likely going to depend on the nature of your employment contract with your employer.

Your best best is to consult with an attorney and have them do a review of your employment contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Is it possible to get charges dropped even before arrest is made?

I filed a police report when he broke 2 of my car windows that night when I broke up with him. I told him that I wanted to return the car to him, since he gave me that car just a few months ago (he used to own that same car) and I told him that night of the incident. I didn't know what to do... Read more »

Michael Arbeit
Michael Arbeit answered on Jun 20, 2021

At this point, it may not be possible to avoid an arrest. But, if you do not want to move forward, you have no obligation to speak with the prosecutor or sign any paperwork. If you do that, a lawyer that knows what they are doing Will get the matter dismissed. Your friend should consult with an... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Trademark for New York on
Q: Hi I'm the legal owner to the trademark. Could I renew it and lift the cancellation?
Nicole Schaefer
Nicole Schaefer answered on Jun 19, 2021

Hi! I would consult with an attorney but if your trademark was cancelled, you'll probably have to submit a new application. Good luck!

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for New York on
Q: Hello, I had immigration problems with the USA back in 1980. Can I do 1 stop in the US if I need to travel to Canada?

I am a Canadian citizen and stuck where I'm at during covid. In order to go back home to Canada, I must do 1 or 2 stops in the US. I am nervous I might have some problems traveling back to Canada but need to come back home in Canada to visit my doctor and refill my medicine. Back in the 1980s... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Jun 19, 2021

You may be allowed to travel but you may be denied entry to the terminal beyond the boarding area. It is also possible there will be no questions.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: Hello I have a personal injury case that’s in the stp part ! The judge denied summary judgement that the defendant filed

Then defendant filed appeal judge still denied appeal ! Now there’s something filed by court that says remitturr! There was no trial yet ! How can judge reduce award or verdict when there was no trial yet?????? We have not went to trial as of yet but the last entry by court was remitturr I... Read more »

Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik answered on Jun 17, 2021

I think you posted this question a few days ago. Remittitur is the process by which the Court reduces a jury's verdict. If your case never went to trial (either in front of a judge or a jury) then there would arguably be no verdict for the Court to reduce. Assuming you are representing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Business Formation for New York on
Q: I was given a business. The business does not charge for services. The clients sign up on the website for service.

I need to make sure the contract is legally binding and I am becoming owner of said business.

I am on SSI & SSDI as my income.

The business is strictly a website type business.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 17, 2021

I'm sorry your question remains open for two weeks. The format here is usually quick general questions, which is why it could be difficult to get a response to review a contract. You could use the "Find-a-Lawyer" tab above to reach out to attorneys or search independently online.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Elder Law and Health Care Law for New York on
Q: I dont know anyone who can sign a durable power of attorney form. We dont have living friend that could do it. What now
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz answered on Jun 17, 2021

If you don’t have a family member or friend, you can appoint a lawyer, financial advisor or institution as your agent. If you wish them to exercise power only in the case of your disability, you should discuss a springing POA. If you have no POA and become disabled, a court will appoint a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for New York on
Q: My spouse refuses to abide by our divorce agreement and pay for what he agreed to pay, what court or recourse do I have.
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jun 16, 2021

You can file a violation of support petition in Family Court for spousal and child support or you can file a motion for contempt in Supreme Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for New York on
Q: My neighbor is complaining about my dog's barking. Could he/she prosecute me or force me to get rid of my dog.
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai answered on Jun 16, 2021

She may not get rid of your dog just for the excesssive barking, but your neighbor may have a private nuisance claim against you on the ground that your dog interfered with his right to quiet use and enjoyment of his property. Your neighbor has the burden of proof.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for New York on
Q: If I did a revocable trust through legal zoom, where do I file it.
Gary Lane
Gary Lane answered on Jun 15, 2021

Living Trusts are not filed. You may do so if you choose, but most folks do not file (record) them but instead keep them private. Should you choose to record it, it is done as your local County Recorder's Office, where deeds are recorded.

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for New York on
Q: Hello we Have israely brand name sabon michal ( the soap of michal) can i use the word SABON? Sabon in hebrow its soap
Evelyn Suero
Evelyn Suero answered on Jun 15, 2021

Generally speaking, it is permitted to use a foreign word as part of your trademark. However, whether a trademark can legally be used depends on several factors including whether the trademark is not confusingly similar to another trademark that is in use for the same or related goods or services.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for New York on
Q: I am paying arrears for child support can I travel to Puerto Rico and I do not have a us passport

My arrears are just over $2500

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel answered on Jun 14, 2021

Puerto Rico is in the US. You do not need a passport and you can go.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for New York on
Q: Why would they not inform the family about his intentions to try to appeal his sentence?

I am daughter am entitled to know of his actions. Yet, no one informed me.

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jun 14, 2021

Notices of appeal are served on the attorneys on a case. It is up to the attorneys that represent parties to notify their clients. In a criminal case, you are not a party so you would not get notice.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Animal / Dog Law for New York on
Q: I have my puppy for 7 months & I sell him for $100 now regret it & want him back but the owner won’t give him back.
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz answered on Jun 14, 2021

When you legally sell something, you give up your rights to it in exchange for some form of consideration. In this case, money. Regret is not a valid reason to void the transaction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.