Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Public Benefits Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for New York on
Q: I received a letter from dss stating that an allegation was found that there might be potential descrepancies in my case

And to come in for an interview by an investigator, do I have to go? It just states if I don't go I'll lose my benefits, I only have medical assistance but was planning on switching anyway.

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 26, 2017

You may want to attend the hearing with an attorney, but it's generally a very bad idea to not show up for hearings. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Public Benefits and Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: Can welfare place a lien on a life estate? Can recovery be made if I am disabled and own the home through a life estae?

In1971 a mortgage and bond was against property. Mom and I had a life estate deed recorded in 2005 Lien was re-recoded 2010 sold home 2016 paid $70,000.00 to welfare. Can they do this? Thanks in advance

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Jan 20, 2017

A lien for reimbursement of Medicaid payments or other benefits is allowed. I do not understand what happened, or more importantly, when.

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for New York on
Q: I need help writing letters for a civil action to the judge and attorney general. is there any lawyers willing to help?

7 year misdiagnoses, 7 years of denials. now i have a diagnoses and restrictions from my doctor to overturn all my denials. i need help to just write these letters to show my evidence of disability.

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on Nov 29, 2016

It depends on what you are trying to do. What were you denied from doing? Is it work related or are you looking at disability benefits?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for New York on
Q: Do I have legal grounds to appeal an LTD discontinuation/denial? If yes, how?

I am currently receiving workers comp benefits from my company in New York and not working for 1 year now. Three months ago an Independent Medical Exam determined that I'm 25% disabled. My company accepted the claim but recently reduced my benefit amount by 75% and can't offer me light... Read more »

Barry Eran Janay
Barry Eran Janay answered on Oct 26, 2016

It's not an "appeal" what you need to do is notify the insurance company that you disagree with their determination and if necessary start a declaratory judgment action seeking the insurance coverage. I would recommend hiring an attorney, doesn't have to be me, but some... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for New York on
Q: How can I get relief from arrears if all children are in my custody?

Single mom was on public assistance when put on child support not knowing until Court papers came in mail. Now has children back and has 3 other kids to raise. Just got a job may 2015 as a waitress making under minimum wage. Got a termination of order Aug 2015 but was Informed she has to pay $400+... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 9, 2015

You need to have a full discussion with a local family attorney. What you need is specifically tailored legal advice, and you cannot get that for free on the internet.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.