Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Dakota DUI / DWI Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: 2nd dui. 2 year suspension. 1 yr down. Can I get points off to lift restriction?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 5, 2021

A defensive driving course can take points off your license. However, this will not get your DUI-related suspension reduced. Your best bet may be to get a temporary restricted license while you're waiting to be eligible for renewal.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: Is there a certain amount of time to resolve a dui case?
Rick Sand
Rick Sand answered on Mar 3, 2021

This is a very interesting question. In order to give the best answer, it is important to know a few things: Is this a first offense DUI, or does the person have previous DUI convictions? Does the person have an out-of-state driver's license? Was there a chemical test performed (breath, blood,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Wrongful Death, Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: What is the likely hood of getting a leaving the scene of accident dropped down, to next to nothing?no injury, parked.

I have a class A CDL and it is my primary source of income.

the car was parked and i wasnt sure I hit it, i drove away. no one was injured

they already issued a warrant and I paid 750 cash bond

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 11, 2019

see my answer to the duplicate question.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: I was pulled over and charged for a DWI with no evidence except for speeding and there was a smell on my clothes?

I was taking a trip to the gas station when I was pulled over by an officer. The officer walked to the window and said I was speeding, he then stated he could smell marijuana and I told him it could just be my clothes from another time. The officer then had me take several sobriety test outside... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Feb 21, 2019

The officer's actions seem problematic. Better get a lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: Recently charged with a DUI. First time offender, blew .175 at the station. Do I need a lawyer or just go to court?

Left the restaurant early last night before I got too drunk. Pulled over for not using turn signal and not turning into first lane. Sobriety test in 40° weather then blew .16. At the station blew .175. Its my first offense, clean record. Do I need a lawyer? Would it benefit me?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Nov 14, 2018

My suggestion is usually the same, if you need a doctor for a surgery, then you will need a lawyer for court.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: What steps could I take after receiving a minor in consumption of alcohol (MIC) at the age of 18 to get off my record?

North Dakota college student. Wondering how I can get it off of my record, if possible, as I am a pre-med student and will be applying to Medical schools in 2022.

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Sep 7, 2018

You seek a diversion, deferral, or dismissal.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: I got a dui in Watford City ND and I live in Oklahoma and I can’t afford to make it back to court in ND what do I do?

First dui in 10yrs and no money to get a lawyer

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Sep 7, 2018

Call and hire a defense lawyer in North Dakota rather than allow a warrant that can impact your employment and housing options go unhandled. Attorneys like myself handle this exact situation every day.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: My husband just got a DUI. court is in one week. We are thinking of calling the cop involved to beg for mercy.

Would this be a bad idea? If he looses his job we loose insurance and our children have special needs. My husband rarely drinks. He blew low on the breathalyzer and this is his first dui offense. The cop was really nice during the arrest and helpful. We got a lawyer and are awaiting court. If he... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jan 20, 2018

Listen to your lawyer. Calling the officer will have no impact, the case is in the prosecutor's hands. Most people who attempt to negotiate with the prosecutor on their own end up digging a deeper hole.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: A 19yr old is at a private party and isn't drinking alcohol. 21 year olds are drinking. If cops arrive can 19yo be fined

Can the 19 year old be foned for being in proximity to an open container?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 29, 2017

There is not enough information available to answer your question. If you have been charged, it's time to lawyer up.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: No lawyer yet, pretrial conference tomorrow, can I ask for a continuance?

I have had my initial appearance for a DUI 2nd offense in 7 years in North Dakota. My pretrial conference is tomorrow and I haven't been able to get an attorney yet. I thought, and told the court that I would be able to afford one, but that hasn't been the case yet. I'm extremely... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Sep 20, 2017

I am sorry that I did not see this question sooner. Hopefully things worked out for you.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: Didn't complete DUI program in Cali. Moved to North Dakota was issued new DL. DUI was in 08. Will there be any problems

Won't be moving back. Only did 15 months of a 18 month program. I explained everything to North Dakota an they said I would be giving that they only go back 3yrs. Just got a letter from Cali. Saying my dl from there would be suspended but I surrendered that one before I got my new one.

David Nelson Jolly
David Nelson Jolly answered on Aug 26, 2014

Your DUI charge and possible conviction obviously ended with the requirement of you completing a recommended course of alcohol treatment. The Court typically monitors such treatment and if not completed can impose further sanctions, such as jail. The DMV/DOL has similar powers and if treatment is... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.