Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Rights, Education Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Can my private university mandate me to get vaccinated after I’ve been accepted, paid money, and told me that I don’t?

They told us we did NOT have to get vaccinated then an hour later told us that we DO need to get vaccinated against COVID-19. I was accepted for a month and a half with a down payment before I was informed that I needed to get the COVID vaccine, so now it’s crunch time and I either get the shot... Read more »

Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles answered on Jul 26, 2021

I have not personally looked up the resources, but it is my understanding that the vaccine has not received final approval from the FDA.

The emergency use of an unapproved medicine is covered by 21 U.S. Code § 360bbb–3 - Authorization for medical products for use in emergencies. A...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: If you're indicted on a felony 4 ovi, and you don't have enough ovis to have that indictment. What happens to your case?

Its actually 2 in ten years and 3 in 20 years is what the person has. The court is trying to drop it to an unclassified misdemeanor 1 and I don't see how that is even possible considering the indictment was signed by a grand jury for the Felony 4 ovi. You can't just change something... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 21, 2021

They can and do amend charges all the time. It seems like an odd mistake to make owing to how simple it is to count years and convictions, but the mistake was made and so it has to be corrected. There's no violation of civil rights. The defendant gets a huge benefit here, why would he not want... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: My daughter was jumped by 2 12 year olds and 2 people over 18, can I press charges on all of them?

The girl that’s over 18 spit in my kids face multiple times.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 14, 2021

You can report the matter to the police. Its up to them and the prosecutor to decide whether or not to charge anyone.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: What rights in ohio do I have if I caught my 11 year old son molesting my 1 yr old son. I called police they wont arrest
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 7, 2021

You could always contact the local prosecutor directly. They may have the same misgivings as the police though.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: My daughter is being harassed by a teacher. Is there a way to get a letter out to make it stop?

The teacher has targeted my daughter on multiple occasions and after having a sit down meeting with her and the principal, how can I get notice to her that legal action will be taken to stop the harassment?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 5, 2021

An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. Such a letter could be possible. If you consulted with an attorney, before writing such a letter, they would probably want to know more about the matter and all the issues involved, as well as protocols followed by the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: How can I find an attorney to represent me as the plaintiff in a sexual harassment/ hostile environment case?

It is against my landlord, who has admitted to his actions when interviewed by FHA.

Robert D. Erney
Robert D. Erney answered on May 25, 2021

Please feel free to call me to discuss your case. Rob Erney. 614-258-6100

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: I was pulled over given a ticked but not asked for any information

I wasn't speeding or anything pulled over cop said license were suspended wrote a ticket and left

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on May 25, 2021

What is your question? It's not uncommon for people with suspended licenses to be pulled over even when not breaking any traffic laws because the officer ran the plates and discovered the suspension.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: Is this an unlawful arrest? There was a search warrant for an address and description of the property no people named

The cops pulled over a vehicle that had no ties to us or the address on search warrant, detained us, then brought us to the address and had us cuffed in back of police cruisers while they ran into search the house of the address then charged us with possession and trafficking from substances found... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Mar 29, 2021

You leaving out some key information. Like, for example, who the house belongs to? Was there any reason to stop the vehicle in question? At the end of the day, you need to get an attorney to look at the situation. It sounds fishy, but there's information missing.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Rights and Internet Law for Ohio on
Q: Can a business video and audio surveillance record without letting any customers know he is doing this?

He can access the recordings online!

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Mar 29, 2021

Businesses are free to employ surveillance in most parts of the business. They cannot do so in changing and bathroom areas, or showers at places like gyms.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Is it illegal to remove the doors of a bathroom stall? Thank you.
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Mar 18, 2021

In what context? With someone in there, yeah. To install a toilet, no.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Ohio on
Q: i am a highschool student who is trying to better understand the McClesky v. Kemp case that i was given by my tea

how did they come to the conclusion of the death penalty? And if a man can get the death penalty by killing a police officer while resisting lawful arrest bc they were involved in an armed robbery, then why don't serial killers get sentenced to death as well?

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Feb 25, 2021

In order to impose death as a penalty, juries are typically called upon to consider aggravating factors--things that made the crime worse--and mitigating factors--things that made it better--as compared to similar offenses. These come in two basic varieties: (1) facts from the offense itself, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: The victim is looking for financial restitution for a crime my minor son committed, what are our obligations?

My son pled guilty to vandalism and breaking and entering, he is 12. We have received a letter from the victim's lawyer asking for restitution. In Ohio, I know we are not legally responsible for our son's crime however, can they come at us with a civil suit? If so, how do I respond to... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Feb 12, 2021

The juvenile court cannot order you to pay restitution for a juvenile. But, you are not entirely correct about not being legally responsible. The victim can file a civil lawsuit against the parents of a juvenile to recover damages. Read this:

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: I fired a contractor for not making their deadline and doing shoddy work. Do I have a strong case in civil court?

Hired a contractor for a bathroom remodel who let his employees do the job with zero supervision.The contractor didn’t ask for any upfront payment until I began to question the type of work I was seeing them do. They then wanted half of the estimate, which I paid, and didn’t resume work for... Read more »

Drew Chalfant
Drew Chalfant answered on Nov 18, 2020

In Ohio you have a number of possible remedies. Home renovations contractors are required to do work in a "professional and workmanlike manner" that is consistent with generally accepted practices in the industry. If your contractor failed to do that and you had to hire someone else, your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Hi, I need help regarding on getting my dog back from ex. I bought the dog; what do I do?

I was in a relationship with my ex partner for 5 years; I bought my dog three years in. I have a receipt from the person I bought the dog from as well as I am currently fighting the bank for the statement showing I withdrew $300 the day my dog was bought. My ex currently has the dog and will not... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 13, 2020

Sue in small claims court. But you might only recover the cost of the dog. Check your local court web site for the small claims process. Or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to file in court to try to recover the dog.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Can a 19 year old date a 16 year old who’s turning 17. Me and my boyfriend are 2 years and 4 months apart.

Can they also engage in sexual activity

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Oct 12, 2020

Engaging in that activity would be a criminal offense, and the older person could be classified as a sex offender.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Im renting in ohio. An i allowed to deny a house showing if the realtor doesn't give me a 24 hr notice?

I'm technically in Lorain County. My landlord is cool but the realtor is now getting angry with my bf and I cause we were out of town for a showing that he failed to give a 24hr notice for. He's done it multiple times now and we have pets. What drew the line for him is when we refuse to... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 18, 2020

The realtor has no legal rights and cannot require you to do anything. You don't even have to talk to him if you don't want to. You certainly don't have to leave the key in the box. Ohio law requires a landlord to give reasonable (24 hour) notice of having someone come in for an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Securities Law for Ohio on
Q: Apartment manager decided to do a “wellness check” without telling us.. there is a lot more.

Manager entered our apartment with any form on contact before doing so while my wife was asleep naked and daughter was sleeping. Got to the bedroom door before announcing himself and my wife freaked out and tried to cover up as quickly as possible, he proceeded to stand there and stare at her while... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 16, 2020

You can file a police report, but they are unlikely to do anything. You could sue the apartment owner for trespass. Talk to the owner about the manager's unauthorized entry. Put an interior lock on the door.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Legal or not, a minor child is killed mom not permited 2 identify her.
Warner Mendenhall
Warner Mendenhall answered on Sep 14, 2020

More detail on this is needed to answer. Where was the minor child living? Did the mother have custody? Were the mother's parental rights taken in a dependency, abuse, neglect case? etc...

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Consumer Law and Land Use & Zoning for Ohio on
Q: If the landlord allowed me to put 15,000$ of work into his house and Now he trying to evict me, can I sue for that mone

I been living in this home for 16 years and i finally decided to ask him can I put some work into the home and it costs me 15,000 and it made the value of the home go up, he can now charge $800 instead of 200$ in rent, So he wants to evict me out of the house, can I sue for that money out of that... Read more »

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters answered on Sep 5, 2020

You may have a case for unjust enrichment, contact an attorney to discuss how to file the claim and what you need to allergies

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Do I have to go to court to evict my husband if the house is in my name only
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Aug 8, 2020

If your husband was living in the home (which seems likely), then yes, you would need to get an eviction to kick him out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.