Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Business Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am buying a Vending machine and going to place it in a bar that is 21 to enter. I want to put Tabacoo products in it

Do I need a special license to do so?.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jun 21, 2021

Yes - all vending machines have licensing requirements.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: What exactly makes a contract binding, and what legality surrounds verbal agreements?

My sister and her partner entered a contract written up by their friend, the friend, upon receiving the full amount of money will sign over everything in a building to them. However, I believe a verbal agreement was made that a full set of items would be included, yet the items were not in the... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jun 11, 2021

Verbal contracts are enforceable. However, they are harder to enforce. You would have to file a lawsuit against the party that didn't perform under the terms of the verbal contract. You would need witnesses to testify in court of the verbal contract and the terms. The judge would determine if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Oklahoma on
Q: If I buy something from a place like Etsy to put on a product that I sell and make from scratch. Am I good legally

I buy the product from a source that is allowed to make the sticker or decal and I put it on a product to sell. Do I still have to get a Craftman license to be able to sell that with that sticker on it?

Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown answered on Mar 22, 2021

There isn't enough information here to fully answer your question.

It does, however, sound like (depending on a lot more information) you could get in trouble for copyright and/or trademark infringement, fraudulent misrepresentation, or something else.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: How would I go about filling a claim against a company for False Advertisement on a large scale, hundreds of cases

I have contacted the BBB sent and the claim was resolved being that I was given assurance of my product being where it needed to be at a certain date and they emailed me (this was about 6 months ago) so.. I resolved it with the BBB thinking that everything was good yet they have continued to False... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 12, 2020

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, as your matter could involve elements of state consumer law, but you await a response for two weeks. If you are contemplating handling the matter yourself, small claims, which you have already included in your categories, could be the most economical solution... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Business Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Can my car get repossessed after one week of no payment in the state of Oklahoma?

I financed a car through a car lot. I was one week and 3days late then got threatening text messages from the financier saying they were going to call the authorities if they did not receive a payment I paid them half on Friday (the day of the call) and they agreed to receive the other half Monday... Read more »

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim answered on Jun 29, 2020

I would have to see your contract, but it appears as if they did not follow the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. They cannot threaten criminal charges, or negotiate in my opinion negotiate for further payment only to repossess. You need an attorney to look at the contract and then potentially... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it Legal for the city utility office to require payment on an old account from 13 years ago Before turning on utilits

Oklahoma Statutes

Title 12. Civil Procedure

§12-95. Limitation of other actions.

Universal Citation: 12 OK Stat § 12-95

A. Civil actions other than for the recovery of real property can only be brought within the following periods, after the cause of action shall... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 6, 2020

You have cited a stat statute that governs litigation in the state courts. The city utility is not suing you for the ancient bills you never paid; they are telling you to pay your ancient debt or go get your utilities elsewhere. Be happy they are not asking for interest on this 13 year old... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: Yes if you do any kinda work for a big corporation. Do they have to pay you ? Can they make you work for free?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 16, 2019

If your question refers to working and not being paid in the capacity of an employee, that's something an employment attorney could handle best. That category isn't included in the chosen categories. If you mean in the capacity of someone having done work for a corporation (maybe as a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Business Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I own a used car dealership. I have a truck a man never made a payment and hasn't for 3 months now tried repo larceny?

He apparently has sold it or parted it out

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim answered on Nov 1, 2019

There is a larceny by fraud charge that may apply, but it is really more of a civil issue. If the vehicle is $10,000 or less, small claims court may be an inexpensive way to get a judgement on the person and gain access to any assets they may have. Boeheim Freeman Law... 918-884-7791

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Non-compete enforcement in Oklahoma

My son signed a non-compete agreement with a friend that has a mobile car detailing business. The friend did not provide for him so he started his own mobile car business. Now the friend is suing for non-compete. We live in Oklahoma. My son has not solicited any existing customers but has... Read more »

Benjamin Oxford
Benjamin Oxford answered on Aug 21, 2019

Oklahoma Courts look unfavorably at non-compete agreements, and certain types of these agreements are unenforceable. That being said, it's not absolute. Your son needs to contact an attorney immediately. If he has been sued, he may need to respond to the lawsuit or risk a default judgment... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a non lease occupant be evicted with no notice and have locks changed on their legal business they own?

I own the business but not on the lease. How can I get back into my business that the leesee doesn't own?

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Jun 29, 2019

Since your not on the lease, you had no legal right to be on the property thus have no legal standing to avail yourself of the Courts for any type possession of the premises. You should contact the owner of the property and ask permission to be able to go onto the property to clean out the premises... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: If an investor contributes more than an owner do they automatically own part of the business and right to make decisions

The investor was treated as an owner but was not officially because they were worried it would affect their food stamps/unemployment (they were employed also). The business does not have an operating agreement and the investor dissolved the business without my signature. They withdrew all the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 20, 2019

Unless otherwise agreed in writing, the larger amount of money invested in a business by an investor does not mean the investor "automatically owns part of the business." However, you are throwing legal terms around without fully explaining all the important details underlying this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: can i be arrested for stealing an ipad if the owner gave it to me to fix

yes the other day i was givin a ipad to fix from a pawnshop and thats because she heard i fix them so she ask me well i said yes i can fix it so i brought it home and i left my phone number there i never told the lady how long i would have it but any ways with me working on it and waiting for apple... Read more »

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Jun 16, 2019

Yes of course she can do it as you just told us she did. Contact the police and the lady immediately to clear up the matter. It would be best to have an attorney speak for you.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Business Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: can I be a tag agent if I have filed bankruptcy?
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 15, 2019

I don't see anything that says you can't.

To see the requirements for being a motor license agent, click on these two websites:...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If partner operates 2nd clinic under same name as 1st with II does contract apply to both, entitled 2 profit from both?

Part owner of 1 clinic partner got mad at me and started operating new place under same name but II after it. Am I entitled to same payout as with 1st clinic?

Reece B. Morrel Jr
Reece B. Morrel Jr answered on Jan 8, 2019

Quite frankly, I think the "payout" is the least of your concerns right now.

Obviously, the place to start is with whatever contract, operating agreement (LLC), partnership agreement or shareholder agreement (corporation) you may have. These documents frequently make reference to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Tax Law and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Company makes us file as independent contractor but we’re employees. Is there an anonymous way to report them?

We’ve researched definitions of what makes an employee. We know they’re not in stone but we feel they meet enough we should be employees. It’s for a Trivia game nationwide company & we host trivia games at bars. So: they tell us when & where to work. They supply the items needed to... Read more »

Reece B. Morrel Jr
Reece B. Morrel Jr answered on Aug 20, 2018

Welcome to the murky waters of employee vs. independent contractor.

Part of the problem is that you have several agencies - both federal and state - with overlapping jurisdiction.

In Oklahoma, you have the IRS, the OTC and the OESC just to name a few.

Not only that, but a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I currently have a business in the residential construction industry. How can I use it to run a commercial company?

My residential business has the word "homes" in it but I would like to start running commercial projects that excludes the word "homes". How can I do so without getting a new LLC, insurances, etc.?

Reece B. Morrel Jr
Reece B. Morrel Jr answered on Jul 13, 2018

It sounds like you currently have an existing LLC. If so, this is a relatively easy process.

You need to surf over to the Oklahoma Secretary of State website, and look for the Trade Name Report.

The filing of this document allows a business entity to use a name other than its...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My wife is a business owner, does she have to have a permit to carry a firearm while in her business?
Reece B. Morrel Jr
Reece B. Morrel Jr answered on Jul 5, 2018

Unfortunately, you did not provide enough facts to enable us to answer the question.

That decision is left to the owner of the property.

If she leases the property, then I would recommend that a review of the lease is in order.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Does a retail store in Tulsa Oklahoma have to allow the public access to their restrooms?
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Mar 25, 2018

What international law is that?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: What if something happens if you offer a general warranty deed and later dissolve your llc in oklahoma?

What is the level of responsibility that a seller has if he dissolves an llc after selling property with a general warranty deed in Oklahoma in terms of liens or title disputes?

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on Mar 16, 2018

I would speak with your title insurance company about this. In most cases, it is the title insurance company that ends up handling problems with deed warranties rather than the seller individually.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Mergers & Acquisitions for Oklahoma on
Q: Need to find out what the exact limitations are within the Oklahoma liquor laws. Can I open a drive thru daiquiri shack?

If an alcoholic beverage is pre made, sealed in a bottle,jug,etc. none of which has been consumed before the customer leaves the property, can it be sold in a drive thru. I need to know how I can do that within limits and loop holes of OK liquor laws.

I want to open a to-go daiquiri shack... Read more »

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Dec 31, 2017

Never seen a daiquiri shack in Oklahoma. This would probably be considered a bottle shop since the beverage is to be consumed off-premises. Aside from local restrictions (city / county) look at.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.