Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims, Personal Injury and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: seeking advice and assistance for a potential case against the consumer reporting agency, Experian, TransUnion, Equifax

I believe that my rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other relevant laws have been violated. The FCRA (15 USC 1681 section 602 a) establishes the need for consumer reporting agencies, such as Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax, to exercise their responsibilities with fairness,... Read more »

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Mar 16, 2023

Your post does not contain a question. You might try to rephrase.

If you are asking what kind of lawyer you should look for in the circumstances described, I would recommend you search for a lawyer who practices consumer law in or near the county where you anticipate filing suit....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it legal for an insurance company to debit your account for balance from years ago without any notice?

I was getting a quote for new auto insurance coverage and got to the payment page when the site told me there was "a problem processing payment". I checked my account and there was a pending balance that I did not authorize from that company almost $100 more than what I was quoted. I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 18, 2023

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you're able to consult with a local attorney on state-specific insurance and consumer law, one option could be to check with the state department of insurance. Most states have such an agency that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Why is the Pushmataha Court allowing a debt collector to sue me for a debt over 7 years old with no further contact?

Last contact with debtor was a letter dated 2015 asking for debt forgiveness.

I've responded to the Motion for judgement and motioned for case dismissal, with copy of letter to creditor with Affidavit. Motion to dismiss was that the debt is 7 yrs old and well passed the statute of... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Nov 18, 2022

Your veteran status has no bearing on anything. A motion to dismiss is inappropriate as a response to a motion for judgment. If you did not answer the allegations of the complaint, the plaintiff obtained a default. If you did, your answer may not have raised, in the eyes of the plaintiff, any... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Business Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there a website, book, or other source accessible to the public where I can read all of the Oklahoma Laws?

I ask in order to know laws that do/ do not apply to me.

David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta PRO label
answered on Oct 25, 2022

There are a few. The Oklahoma Judicial Branch has a website that has all of the Oklahoma Statutes, Constitution, Session Laws, and more. Go to and click the link for "Legal Research" and then click on "statutes" or "Oklahoma Statutes Citationized" From... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Judgment approved on 6/9/17. Garnishment affidavit filed 4/22/22. Garnishment approved 6/14/22. 5 year SOL has passed.

If SOL expired before wage garnishment was issued is it legal to take my money?

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Sep 28, 2022

The statute of limitation to collect on a judgment is much longer than 5 years. The 5 year SOL applies to bringing the lawsuit. You have no statute of limitation defense.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it required in oklahoma for bussinesses to take cash in their stores? And is it required they post it if they dont

I am curious if it is legal for ok. Stores to refuse cash on ordered goods when you pick them up when the business has nothing posted?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Jun 22, 2022

In Oklahoma businesses can take any legal form of payment they desire. If they do not take cash, there are reasons they chose not to, such as a fear of theft, counterfeiting, germs transferred through money, etc... Posting is not required. Your recourse is to not accept the item and go... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can my bank withhold a vehicle title/lien release after I pay the loan off if I still owe them on a separate loan
Todd Laster
Todd Laster
answered on Feb 10, 2022

Possibly, if they have a cross collateral clause in your loan agreement with them on the separate loan. Most banks have cross collateral clauses in loan agreements that make it so all the collateral (the vehicle) securing one loan secures any other loans. If your loan has a cross collateral... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If person buying a car gives you a small amount to hold the car, then doesn't pay the full price did u legally sell it

okay guy wanted to buy an old pickup we had, we agreed to a purchase and he gave me $100 to hold it while he got the money. Instead he came back and just took the truck. I still have the title he did no paperwork. The police said that he didn't steal the car I sold it to him for $100. That... Read more »

David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta PRO label
answered on Dec 23, 2021

It appears you have a few issues that must be addressed. One is whether a crime was committed - which if so the police could enter the vehicle as stolen in the national database. Another is whether you had a valid contract with the purchaser. Third, is whether an actual sale of the vehicle... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: In the state of Oklahoma can a creditor or a repo man pay somebody to tell them where a car is that's up for repo?
Anna L Self
Anna L Self
answered on Jul 13, 2021

I am not aware of any law that would prohibit this so I believe they could.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I need to file a Motion to Vacate arbitration decision.

Lawsuit has been filed. I'm the plaintiff.

014 Oklahoma Statutes

Title 12. Civil Procedure

§12-1874. Application to vacate an award.

Universal Citation: 12 OK Stat § 12-1874 (2014)

A. Upon an application and motion to the court by a party to an... Read more »

David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
answered on Jul 8, 2021

A motion to vacate based on "evident partiality" is a very tough motion. You need something more than a generalized suspicion that the arbitrator, though he works in the same business as your opponent in the Arbitration, was "evident[ly] partial."

Further, assuming that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Bought a rv and signed paperwork now told interest rate was wrong and need to sign new paperwork is this legal?

We bought a travel trailer from a dealership and looked over paperwork and agreed upon the interest rate and payment, signed and took possession of the rv and 3 days later they call and say the paperwork was wrong and interest rate and payments are going to be higher. Is this legal after already... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self
answered on Jun 11, 2021

You should have an attorney review the contract and other documents that you signed but generally contracts are binding upon the parties and they can't change the terms.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I have a remaining balance of 1,400 on signature lone and I can’t pay on it anymore what do I do

I have medical things that need done but can’t even afford the copays

Bernard S. Via III
Bernard S. Via III
answered on Jun 3, 2021

If you are so far in debt and your income is limited you have an absolute right to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy (8 yr between bankruptcy filings). I have a cut off of around $10,000 in debt as when a person really needs to follow up with bankruptcy. If you do not pay they sue you and garnish your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Regarding medical bills that a law firm bought.

The hospital says they don't have any information about the bill. Can the law firm get an itemized statement from them without my consent?

Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown
answered on Mar 22, 2021

I don't understand your question.

If the law firm represents you, then they can request a statement from the hospital with a signed medical release.

If a law firm is trying to collect payment on a hospital bill from you, the law firm can provide you a copy of that bill...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can credit card companies use plaintiff's different names when suing for credit card debt?

My girlfriend divorced about 3 years ago. Recently, a bank brought two different suits against her for two different credit card debts from when she was married. In one case the bank used her maiden name which she now goes by. But in the second case the bank used her former married name which... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 11, 2021

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a GENERAL matter, a claimant could use various forms of the defendant's name to cover all bases. This could also including using "A/K/A" in the caption. An Oklahoma attorney could offer the most... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Divorce and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: Am I financially responsible for my ex wife’s credit card?

She called me while I was at work and asked if I wanted another credit card. I told her no as I already have 3 personal credit cards and don’t want anymore. When I got home she told me she signed up for the card but didn’t put my name down. The bank account was in my name and which she used to... Read more »

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
answered on Dec 16, 2020

It depends on a lot of things. The wording of your decree regarding debt, the timing of the purchases, and whether it is a debit or credit card. I wish I could help you more, but I would hire an attorney to help you clear it up.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Employment Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If something is removed from my credit report that is being garnished does that mean the garnishment will stop
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Aug 20, 2020

Possibly, but not necessarily. You will need to did a little deeper and see if the harm has been satisfied or released.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Land Use & Zoning and Consumer Law for Oklahoma on
Q: entered into a rental agreement over the phone. No signed lease. Have major water septic issues do I have to pay rent

I have text messages where he stated we would work out rent after the water and plumbing was fixed. Now he is refusing to move forward fixing problems till I pay two months rent that was not our agreement what grounds do I have to stand on?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 31, 2020

Unless you have a written lease agreement the "grounds you have to stand on" are commonly called quicksand. In the absence of a written lease, your landlord can evict you at any time unless you continue to pay rent; withholding rent is a sure-fire way to get evicted.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: How would I go about filling a claim against a company for False Advertisement on a large scale, hundreds of cases

I have contacted the BBB sent and the claim was resolved being that I was given assurance of my product being where it needed to be at a certain date and they emailed me (this was about 6 months ago) so.. I resolved it with the BBB thinking that everything was good yet they have continued to False... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 12, 2020

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, as your matter could involve elements of state consumer law, but you await a response for two weeks. If you are contemplating handling the matter yourself, small claims, which you have already included in your categories, could be the most economical solution... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Oklahoma on
Q: Does the insurance have to total a vehicle if the repair costs surpass the Total Loss Threshold? Asking in Oklahoma.

The Total Loss Threshold is 60% in Oklahoma, the repair costs are currently around $25,000, the vehicle's value is around $37,000-$39,000.

Would they legally have to total it since it is over 60%?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Apr 2, 2020

This is really a question for an Oklahoma attorney, but your post remains open for four weeks. As a general matter without regard to any state-specific considerations, this issue comes up regularly in total loss determinations. Different states may use different thresholds. But where provided for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Lemon Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Why does my carfax show a date 1-17-2019 and mileage at 101802 when I have a service report that's dated 1-7-2019 with

The mileage reported at 101989. How is it 11 days later the miles are reported to dmv at 101802? Seems fishy to me.

Please help seems like possible rolled back mileage.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Feb 9, 2020

This is not a legal question; nor is it evidence of odometer tampering. It is a mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.