Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Criminal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: My land lord gave me 5 eviction 2 no cause the apartment had a water leak took them 8 months to fix molded floors

None licensed person fix but used other products now it’s falling apart stove didn’t work fridge too I had to buy a fridge we had an arbitrator he slept threw the whole thing and took him 57 days to give a tilling to the landlord I have pics of the entire thing now the city inspected a... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Jul 30, 2021

It is unclear what, if anything, you are asking. You apparently already have an attorney and they are the person to talk with - they know your case better than anyone reading a few paragraphs in an on-line forum. If you no longer trust your attorney, fire them and get a new one that you do trust.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: What is the penalty in Oregon for violating Or. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 165.540
Aubrey R Hoffman
Aubrey R Hoffman answered on Jun 21, 2021

Violation of subsection (1) or (2)(b) is a class A misdemeanor. Class A misdemeanors are punishable by up to 364 days in jail and a fine of up to $6250.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: My attorney said case law prevented use of evidence He was lying. Is that o.k.?
Aubrey R Hoffman
Aubrey R Hoffman answered on Jun 21, 2021

The Rules of Evidence limits the types of information/evidence that can be brought out at trial. Depending on what type of evidence you are attempting to use, there may also be case law that limits it’s admission.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: What are the laws regarding animal ownership when it pertains to not giving a dog back?

My sister-in-law moved into a house with some friends. She also brought her dog. She was kicked out a few weeks later. When asked when they would be home to pick up the dog, they said that they were not going to give the dog back. They had stolen a family member of our house. What are the options... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Jan 11, 2021

Stealing an animal is no different than stealing anything else - legally speaking. The real issue is likely to be how can you prove the dog is hers? Receipts? Vet appointments? Especially prior to her moving in? If you think you can prove the ownership issue, then you can first file a police... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: i was assaulted at work recent and i need to file a claim but i dont know what steps to take can someone help me
Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer answered on Dec 7, 2020

You mentioned that you were "assaulted" at work. You did not mentioned if it was someone in the company, or a third-person. For example, you work at a convenience store and it was robbed and you were assaulted by a customer. You need take the steps available to you through work, but going... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: If I was hit and injured in a car accident having no insurance and a suspended license, what are my options considering?

I left the scene before cops arrived "Which is considered a "hit and run" the person who hit me is at fault and was not injured nor were any of her passengers. I have not filed a report, nor spoke with police about the matter. I am afraid, because I don't have insurance, I will... Read more »

Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer answered on Sep 16, 2020

You pose an interesting, and all too common set of issues. If you are in accident caused by someone's negligence, and do not have auto insurance, then you are entitled to recovery your monetary damages (for example, medical bills, lost wages, property loss). In other words, you cannot recover... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: I was convicted of a class B felony 11 years ago(non violent). Can I openly cary a collapsible baton in Oregon.

I'm also interested as to if I can regain my right to own and possess firearms and how to go about doing that.

Shawn A Kollie
Shawn A Kollie answered on Sep 9, 2020

It is not against oregon law to have a baton as a felon. It is not a prohibited item under ORS 166.270. You could always petition to restore gun rights in your county of residence, or expunge the crime, if otherwise eligible. That would be the only route to lawfully own firearms again.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Elder Law and White Collar Crime for Oregon on
Q: How do I sue my mother in law for my father's property?

She waited for him to be incapacitated by dementia to have him sign my two sister's and I out of his will.

My father told us girls that we would get his property when he passed away.

She had strangers sign saying he was of sound mind, and that he was writing us out of the will.... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 4, 2020

As Heirs and Next Of Kin, you and the Sisters have standing to file a Will Contest. Hopefully you have not waited too long as assets can be dissipated quickly. Get your Witnesses together, along with medical records, to prove Dementia. Hire a competent attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: What kind of a lawyer do I need for a vandal case?

My car was vandalized by my ex what recourse do I have

Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark answered on Jul 23, 2020


1) If you have insurance coverage you can make a claim with your own insurance company and pay the deductible.

2) If you have proof such as an admission, video or witnesses or saw the event yourself you could make a police report and hope they do something. If she is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Oregon on
Q: My son was written up for reckless driving after running a stop sign on a country road. Fine is $6250.

This fine is devastating and seems way out of line with the infraction. There was no one at the intersection (except the officer), he was driving under the speed limit, and he made a conscious decision when he saw the stop sign that it would be safer to drive through it than to slam on the breaks.... Read more »

Jared Justice
Jared Justice answered on Jul 10, 2020

That fine is the maximum fine for a class A misdemeanor.

Typically, that is not the fine that is imposed (at least I have never seen it/heard about it being imposed).

Your son would be wise to get an attorney, prior to his court date. In my opinion, it is usually best to find an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: charged me 5 cents for a paper

I was making a purchase in a Chevron convenient store located in Dexter Oregon and they charged me 5 cents for a paper bag that was from WinCo is that against the law especially during this whole Corona virus epidemic

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 10, 2020

An Oregon consumer rights attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. That rule is being implemented by cities all over the nation and is more closely tied to recycling/waste reduction than to the pandemic. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: Can a 15 yr old boy date an 18 yr old girl in the state of Oregon she is not 18 yet but will be in a couple months
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on May 18, 2020

Date, yes. Have sex, no, he is 15. Potentially there is a defense under the Romeo/Juliet rules, but it is illegal and not worth the potential sex offender tag for the rest of your life.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Oregon on
Q: To force Police to provide as FOIA on a closed murder case how can i find a person to do that in Oregon

Murder 2013 solved audio and CCTV from Police is wanted

Gabriel A Watson
Gabriel A Watson answered on May 16, 2020

FOIA requests can generally be made by any person to any federal agency, but requests can also be denied for any number of reasons. If you are requesting information from a local police department, this is often done using a public information request.

Unfortunately, although anyone can...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: Is it crime for a convicted felon to own black powder/muzzle loaded firearms/Antique firearm in the state of oregon
Shawn A Kollie
Shawn A Kollie answered on Apr 27, 2020

No. A black powder or muzzle-loader is considered a 'firearm' under Oregon law. Unlike federal law, Oregon views these types of 'antique firearms' the same as any other firearm. They do not differentiate between these types of firearms. You would have to have your rights... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon on
Q: I have a no contact order w/someone I work with and our schedules overlap. Can I continue working?
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Apr 11, 2020

I am not clear whether the Order restrains you or the other person. Regardless, whichever of you is restrained is prohibited from contact with the other - and that includes at work. Violate the Order and that person is likely to end up in jail.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: In Oregon we have a ban on events of 25 or more. Would an event location with room for 3+ feet between people work?

Here is an how i see it

4. [...] I am prohibiting[...] gatherings of 25 people or more. This prohibition applies statewide.

5. [...] this Executive Order include, but are not limited to, any[...] events or activities, if a distance of at least three (3) feet between individuals... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 20, 2020

In light of the moment-by-moment changes being made to federal, state and local laws as all the governments try to handle all aspects of the Corona virus pandemic sweeping the world I have decided not even to try to answer any of the scores of "what if" questions being posted by askers... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: I was in small claims court mediation and Plaintiff communicated she had recorded our conversations, unknown to me.

Can a Plaintiff use recorded conversation as evidence in a small claims trial, if the recorded conversation was obtained without the knowledge of the Defendants?

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Feb 4, 2020

Anything said in court sponsored mediation is inadmissible at trial.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: Can an attorney file papers for a Motion to Set Aside for you for free if they were the original attorney?

I had a friend who wanted a conviction off his record. I went with him to speak to an attorney I recommended. At one point the attorney told my friend he could go back to the original attorney that represented him on the case that resulted in the conviction and that attorney would do the Motion to... Read more »

Shawn A Kollie
Shawn A Kollie answered on Jan 6, 2020

It is almost never free to set aside cases. It can cost anywhere from $700-$800 for the attorneys fees. Its a fairly simplistic process. You do not have to, and most folks do not go back to the original attorney who handled the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Oregon on
Q: what I step I have to take if my son of 14yrs old is kiss several times in different days in his mouth for 23 yrs old
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Dec 18, 2019

Your statement doesn't makes sense. Please post again with proper grammar so that we know what your question is.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: I had a felony drug charge back in 1991 in Ca. I am a resident of Oregon, am I eligible to have my gun rights restored.
Shawn A Kollie
Shawn A Kollie answered on Dec 16, 2019

You may petition to restore your Oregon gun rights from Oregon. That allows you to have firearms under Oregon law, and obtain an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. It would not fully restore your federal rights, as the feds require restoration in the jurisdiction of conviction. So this would... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.