Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Pennsylvania on
Q: I need an attorney to sue my pet insurance company for bad faith. There is also a possible claim under the consumer ...

I have a pet policy with lemonade insurance company. I filed a claim for emergency services after my dog needed treatment. The company is only covering part of the cost. They are supposed to cover 90% of the cost minus the annual deductible. They are only covering about 50% of the costs and acting... Read more »

Daniel Edward Mueller
Daniel Edward Mueller answered on Apr 28, 2022

Given the facts you presented, you may have bad faith, breach of contract, and other claims. Damages for insurance bad faith can include actual damages, interest on the damages, punitive damages, attorney's fees, etc. Therefore, you should undoubtedly ask an attorney to review the policy,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: After a quote has been received and accepted, can a subsequent invoice be created and charged for a different item?
Robert Kost
Robert Kost answered on Feb 10, 2022

I'm sorry: this question can't be answered as asked. Lots more detail and context is necessary. The question needs careful deconstruction. If this is an actual situation you are facing, and you are asking for specific advice, you should talk with an attorney. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: I listed my home for sale, signed an agreement and now am having second thoughts. Can I back out?

The buyer is an investor and is paying cash.

Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko answered on Jan 19, 2022

You would have to meet with a lawyer so that the lawyer can review your agreement and discuss the facts of the transaction with you.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Contracts and Construction Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Im a contractor i installed a washer 18 months ago the washer recently leaked am i responsible i only gave 1yr warranty
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 13, 2022

I don't see why. Your job was to install the washer. Unless the leak is from a joint you worked on I don't see liability.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is a notarized document legally binding?

My daughter is paying off a car loan that is in someone else’s name. The other person said they will sign over the title once the loan is paid and they receive the title. I don’t want her to pay off the loan and the other person get the title and not transfer to her. They then will have a free... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 13, 2022

She needs to have the other person sign the car over to her, and she pays for her own car. The best way is for her to buy the car loan, as it were, by getting a loan in her name. Yes, a document that is under seal is binding, but the wording would have to be clear and even then if the person... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Q: This is regarding a business contract I have with an electronic signature company regarding records.

without a court order nor my permission who has the legal right to contact and receive the records that were signed and uploaded to the electronic signature company software. Please remember I am the client who has the contract with this company. A third party signed a contract and is attempting... Read more »

Robert Kost
Robert Kost answered on Dec 13, 2021

What does your contract with the electronic signature company say? What do you mean when you say "attempting to obtain"? Subpoena? I'm not sure what the detective has to do with it.

This question is difficult to answer as stated. It would be best to obtain advice of counsel.

Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Products Liability and Tax Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: If a post office was to forward you letters about your stimulus payment but return the payments to the sender would it

Be considered mail tampering. I have received the letter 1444c three times to my forwarded address but they returned the payment for the notice three times they know what they are doing and I want to know if I could perhaps file a complaint against that post office or whoever is in charge ect.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 14, 2021

No. They are not supposed to forward certain things. You need to be sure that the IRS and the government have your proper address. Discuss this with your Congressperson--they have information on how you can get your payments.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Q: In Pennsylvania, is there a law that states a venue must refund the entire cost of a ticket if the event is canceled
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 17, 2021

Not sure if there is a statute, but if they canceled ask for the ticket back. If they don't give you the money back, contact the police or the DA's office, and also the Attorney General's consumer protection division.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: We bought a house and sign Wednesday. There was previous tenants with no lease but junk everywhere? What can we do?

We are purchasing a property on Wednesday. The previous tenants were friends of the owner but had a falling out. There was no written agreement and they have moved everything in the house out but still have old junk cars and tires everywhere. When we sign on Wednesday do we consume ownership of... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 17, 2021

You can decide not to go through with the sale if your agreement of sale says the seller has to get rid of stuff. Or you can ask for an adjustment in price because you have to get someone to haul off the cars. You need to have the seller state that he has notified them and accepts any claim the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My 90 year old mother listed her house for sale with Realtor A for $89,900. I told her the asking price was too low.

I called Realtor B and was told her house should be worth "in the $120,000s". My mother promptly called and cancelled the original listing. (they agreed) Realtor A hadn't yet taken any pictures or even put the listing in the MLS. My mother listed with Realtor B for $124,900. The... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 3, 2021

you need to read the agreement. Unless it was formally terminated, she cant just switch without consequences. The second broker should have asked her/you whether you had a previous listing, and made arrangements. So start with #2 broker.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Foreclosure, Immigration Law and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: If the recorded information on a deed is completely false do a agreement based on it stand?

If the information on a property deed is false can a agreement be made based from it

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 25, 2021

The agreement refers to the deed. If the deed does not accurately describe things then you may have a claim with the title insurnace company or others. I suggest you review this with an attorney who handles real estate matters.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Q: I've been getting emails from a debt settlement. I want to know how do I know if it's real or fake.
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 25, 2021

Likely a potential scam if you don't recognize the company.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Q: If someone changes things in a commercial lease, with white out, post signing it, is that a breach of contract?

We put down 4,000 to open a business. We signed the lease but because of Covid, weren't able to get the paperwork in the normal, timely fashion. When we went to get the lease, it was altered.

Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz answered on May 6, 2021

I don't think there are enough facts in your question to be able to give any response It doesn't say whether you took a copy of the signed, unaltered lease with you at the time you and the landlord signed it; or whether you told the landlord that the lease had been changed when you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Q: how to legally make contracts and what to put in them.

I want starting a business with someone else using my idea/system that i made, I want to share the business 50/50, how can I make this legal, as well as make sure they don't steal the information and use it somewhere else?

Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka answered on Apr 8, 2021

You have a number of questions here that you really need to sit down with a business attorney and sort through your best options. First of all I never recommend a 50/50 split of ownership because it can lead to deadlocks at a number of levels in the business. As far as your idea/system, that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: customer owes me $. Can I sell their product to make up money that is owed?

My company did work for a client. They refuse to pay their invoice. By accident one of their vendors sent me their merchandise. Can I sell that to recoup my losses?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 28, 2021

No, that would be conversion, or theft. You can return the product or tell the customer and ask if he would like you to sell it and charge the proceeds against his account to you. And/or you can take him to small claims.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: Which statute of limitations applies to my debt?

I live in Pennsylvania. I believe PA follows whichever statute of limitations is shortest, is this true?

The personal loan was obtained from Best Egg, which is based in Delaware. But, the Original Creditor is listed as Cross River Bank (Marlette Funding, LLC). Cross River Bank is based in... Read more »

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Feb 28, 2021

it is often said by the courts that "the debt follows the debtor". in other words, to sue on the debt, a creditor must sue in the jurisdiction where the debtor can be found and served with process.

The PA statute of limitations is located in PA Statutes, ch. 55, Sec. 5525. I...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Contracts and Personal Injury for Pennsylvania on
Q: I just rented an apartment 5 days ago. I was locked onside because door would not open. 6 hours later they got it open

I’m scared to death to stay there thinking had there been a fire, my 5 year old son and I might be dead or seriously burned! They drilled through the son was screaming...

I don’t want to stay here. How can I get out of my lease and move to a safer space? What recourses to I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 23, 2021

Look at your lease, but the fact there was one incident is usually not sufficient to say the premises are uninhabitable. If you spoke to the locksmith and they said that there was no way they could fix it that's a little different, but locks are not the type of thing that a Court will break a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Am I able to get of of my current lease due to a medical condition?

Hi. My daughter seems to be stuck in an iron clad lease! They put that it’s $10,000 over 10 months instead of monthly. She is having SEVERE medical issues (anxiety and migraines) due to an incident the 1st week she moved in girls stealing and fighting with her (roommates) police report filed and... Read more »

Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz answered on Dec 12, 2020

I know if no law in Pennsylvania that would relieve a tenant from lease obligations because the tenant is very ill and has been advised by their medical doctor to move out. In fact, there us a law in Pennsylvania which says that if a tenant dies while the lease is still in effect, the lease is not... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: How many Tattoo Artist and my old apprentice who quit unexpectedly He took some items that weren’t his

He quit without notice and when I asked for my items back he was reluctant to do them even give me grief about when I needed them

Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde answered on Oct 10, 2020

I am not sure I see a question? Yiu could aue him for the items or report it to the police as a theft. The police usually dont like to get involved in business disputes but they might investigate further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.