Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Social Security Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Social Security, Divorce and Family Law for Florida on
Q: Child support lawsuit Vs. Disability

If I’m unable to work because I’m disabled. Can the mother of my child sue me for money even if I have medical evidence? I just gave the court my documents files for proof but the mother of my child is still pursuing a lawsuit to give her money when I can not work at all.

Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
answered on Sep 19, 2022

File a modification on child support to adjust your payment while you are in that situation. Do your best to get a job when you can so you can still support your child. It is every parent's responsibility to provide for their children.

Talk to your attorney to know how best to proceed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Social Security for California on
Q: Hello. I was married a foreigner and applied for a green card. Okay e separated and I never followed up with immigration

Now I’m marring again and need to apply for green card for him . How do I know if my previous case is canceled or no

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
answered on Sep 18, 2022

You should submit a public records request to USCIS. You may also call them or send them an email request.

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Employment Law and Social Security for Illinois on
Q: Can i form an llc for my future box truck business while receiving benefits?

am currently 33yrs old.

Three years ago I was driving semi trucks . Stopped due to multiple surgeries (non-work-related).

Currently on Government Benefits.

Temporary Social security disability

Now present time.

Im close to being fully recuperated so its... Read more »

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
answered on Sep 11, 2022

The short answer is: Yes. Go ahead and form the LLC. Let it sit until you are ready to make use of it. Unless there is something you have not disclosed, I don't see how forming a LLC will affect your benefits. However, once income starts flowing through your LLC, it may or may not affect... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Iowa on
Q: After applying for *but not having been approved or denied* SSI benefits, are you able to move states?

A friend is currently homeless and has applied for SSI benefits in Tennessee. They have not been approved or denied. They wish to move to Iowa where I live. Will they need to start a new application process, or can they just notify the Social Security Office of a change of address?

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Aug 30, 2022

Your friend can just update her address with Social Security when she moves at either the local Social Security field office or by calling the national Social Security number at 1-800-772-1213. Since Social Security is a Federal program, it will carry over when she moves to a new state. There is no... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for California on
Q: Who do I contact about retirement benefits?

My late uncle was awarded my great uncles retirement benefits and now his wife has my great uncles retirement benefits and we want to keep it in the family and she will not return it to is rightful lineage.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
answered on Aug 30, 2022

You should contact the benefits administrator about the benefits.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: Do I need a lawyer to apply for social security disability? If so, can I find one for Probono?

Had back surgery 10 years ago and I don’t feel I can continue in the same field of work that I have the most experience/knowledge in.(manufacturing, metal fabricator)

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 29, 2022

A social security disability attorney could advise best, but you await a response for two weeks. I'm not sure if you'll readily find a pro bono social security disability attorney. You could search online. But you could also consider reaching out to attorneys to try to arrange a free... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Social Security and Criminal Law for Michigan on
Q: The amount of rerages owed is 64,000 and the judge is not being in my favor at all. What can i do? Please ?

Is there anything I can do or submit in advance, the court appointed lawyer i have does not submit or express my case in my favor, or my request.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Aug 25, 2022

The judge's job is not to be in your favor. The only person "in your favor" is your attorney, and he or she must adhere to court rules, case law, statutes, ethics, and rules of evidence while being in your favor. If you have plead and are awaiting sentencing, then now is the time to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Juvenile Law and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Im 17 years old (18 in nov) could I take legal action against my mom for dental neglect and keeping my survivors benefit

My mother keeps my insurance cards from me so I cannot make appointments on my own and denys me dental care appointments as a form of punishment when I have an abscess tooth and a gum disease I believe. I have asked for years to go to a dentist as I've had this abcess for years. (Around 2... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Aug 12, 2022

Talk to a teacher, school counselor, or other trusted adult about your situation. They will be able to find the help you need.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Social Security for New York on
Q: Am I still able to apply for the previous year's stimulus check?

I applied for ssn on April 2021. i wasnt able to apply for stimulus on 2021 because of covid i never received my number? I was told by someone that i still can apply for the check. If so, am i supposed to file for last year's tax return as well?

thank you

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Aug 8, 2022

Most eligible people have already received all three of their Economic Impact Payments. However, you may still be able to file your 2020, 2021 taxes and claim a Recovery Rebate Credit. For more information, see

According to the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Public Benefits and Social Security for Florida on
Q: I am on a fix income I only make 861 a month and the ssa is trying to end my ssdi benefits need a free lawer pro bone

would need a free pro bono attorney to help me with my ssa case to keep my benefits i only make 861 a month

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
answered on Aug 5, 2022

Contact your local Legal Services office that serves indigent persons. You appear to be writing from Vero Beach, in which case you could try Florida Rural Legal Services. Website: Tel. 888-582-3410.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: court says the file is closed on conservatorship....the woman that was it, say she is only payee. who is trustee then?

son had conservator for special needs trust which i set up when he was 17 ( he's now 36). I got guardianship back and when I petitioned in 2020. I petitioned to be conservator this year, but the court said the case is closed?! Woman that was his guardian/conservator says she is now only his... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Aug 3, 2022

Sounds like the conservatorship may have been in place because of your son's age at the time (under 18). At some point, it was closed because 1) he was over 18, and 2) his only source of income became his SSDI, for which a payee serves the same purpose as a conservator.

If you were...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: Who gets kids part of one spouses SSD, if getting divorced?

Husband suffered from mental health, can not drive, severe memory loss.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Aug 1, 2022

Most often, it would be to the parent with primary custody / recipient of child support, in lieu of a calculated support amount.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Tennessee on
Q: If a person is disabled on disability can they inherit property/money without losing the disability check?

Friends mom passed away she’s next of kin but has to create an estate. Would this affect/take away her disability.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
answered on Jul 26, 2022

Friend needs to consult with a competent TN attorney, and not announce this on a public forum. And yes he may be rendered ineligible for SSI.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Social Security for Florida on
Q: I was born in Philadelphia ps in 2001 at home. I have 12 siblings that have an ssn but I do not.

I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. I applied many times already. And almost lost hope. I hope I can get help

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Jul 17, 2022

The best place to find out about the evidence requirements to obtain a Social Security number and card is at 20 CFR 422.107. See To obtain an original Social Security number card, you must submit convincing evidence of:

1. your age,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Social Security for Florida on
Q: My son’s grandmother through a codicil in her will, set up a Trust for him in January 2000. To date he has seen no $.

The executrix, his adult cousins, have repeatedly refused reasonable requests for access to those funds (for legitimate expenses) since 2014. During that year his father passed and he needed living expenses and medical services. In 2020 to present they have repeatedly refused to relinquish any... Read more »

James W. Martin
James W. Martin PRO label
answered on Jul 15, 2022

Florida Statutes Section 736.0813 sets forth some of the information that beneficiaries of Florida trusts are entitled to receive. You can read it here: . In any... Read more »

Q: I am currently in the middle of a SSA reconsideration that has been going on since February 7. On May 4 , I had a stroke

This led to a diagnosis of Severe Aortic Stenosis, covered by compassionate allowance of disability. I was given about a year" give or take a few months" without two life- saving surgeries. My disability caseworker was notified immediately after diagnosis. 6 weeks later, I find she never... Read more »

Andrew Charles Burrell
Andrew Charles Burrell
answered on Jun 27, 2022

I am sorry for your issues and the delay in answers, however it is not uncommon in the social security field for a reconsideration to remain pending for 8 to 10 weeks. You should have access to your file online that can advise you where the reconsideration stands. If that is denied, then you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Social Security, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Texas on
Q: I have a statement showing I have/had the 40 required amount of work credits needed to be eligible for SSDI

I made $20,000+yr for years until my health decline making my income drop significantly. I applied for benefits and I have been given misinformation, denied continuously,lied to, told my condition is not as severe as I think I is, have errors in case file, and more but yet has conditions and... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
answered on Jun 26, 2022

You haven’t provided enough information for anyone to tell you if you have a good case or not. You also aren’t clear about whether you are wanting to obtain disability benefits or sue the SSA for discrimination. If you have already provided detailed information to several lawyers and they have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Public Benefits for California on
Q: SSDI application declined

I've had submitted an on-line application for SSDI, but it was declined because I "have not worked long enough under SS". Even though my SS statement says that I have 40 work credits necessary for benefits, they apparently looked only at the last 10 years of taxable income.... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Jun 16, 2022

To be eligible for SSDI disability benefits, you must meet BOTH a recent work test and a duration work test. The number of credits necessary to meet the recent work test depends on your age. In general, the rules are as follows:

Before age 24 - You may qualify if you have 6 credits earned...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for North Carolina on
Q: Under social security rules, how does the SS admin and DDS handle fraudulent healthcare records?

I have been disabled with PTSD for 3 years. The PTSD is from extreme criminal abuse by my former employer, Wells Fargo, and my former hospital, Atrium Health. I turned both in to the US DOJ, who sponsored a cover up + additional criminal abuse of me. The bulk of my healthcare records are from... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
answered on Jun 12, 2022

You cannot appeal just the onset date. If you file an appeal to try to get an earlier onset date then you are appealing the entire decision. You may wind up with a final decision that you are not eligible for benefits at all. No matter what disability onset date you are given, you can only receive... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for New York on
Q: Hello, I was wondering if there is a Statute of limitations on requesting a short term disability checks to be reissued?

I became disabled while working in 2018. I was receiving short term disability from my employer. I went into the hospital in October of 2019 and I was under the impression from a voice mail from the man who handles my claim that it was terminated due to failure to get them paperwork in time. When I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 8, 2022

I'm sorry your question remains open for a week. The question may have gone unnoticed under this category. There's no guarantee all posts are ultimately picked up, but you could try reposting under Social Security. If you believe the checks might be floating around out there, you could... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.