Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Banking and Collections for South Carolina on
Q: Does a credit card company have to provide credit denial explanation in detail, and in writing when requested?

I applied for a credit card with a company that had closed my account previously during COVID 19. One of the reasons for denial on the denial letter stated I was denied because I did not meet that company expectations for account usage on a previous account. I requested they explain what activity... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Oct 17, 2022

No, it does not have to provide you detailed reasoning in writing.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Bankruptcy, Business Formation and Identity Theft for South Carolina on
Q: Do I need a bankruptcy lawyer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Aug 27, 2020

If you are contemplating filing bankruptcy, yes!!

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Foreclosure, Banking and Mergers & Acquisitions for South Carolina on
Q: What does GMAC, WVMF Funding, or RECAP have to do with this case?

Does it have something to do with the mortgage crash in 2008 through 2010?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 14, 2020

A South Carolina attorney could best advise, but your post remains open for five weeks. It's possible something inadvertently got left off in uploading your post - a case is not mentioned. Not every question is picked up, but you could try reposting, including the name of the case. Good luck... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for South Carolina on
Q: Yes i was lock up for forgery but I didn't sign no ones names are write the check myself I cash the check for a friend.

My friend told me that she did not have any identification that's why she couldn't cash the check I walked into the bank and I signed my name in front of the tailor that's all I did was sign my name to get the check cashed but I did not forward no name and I did not write the check... Read more »

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
answered on Dec 3, 2019

If you have been charged you need to contact an attorney ASAP so that they can intercede on your behalf with law enforcement. The sooner the better.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Banking for South Carolina on
Q: Should receiving an inheritance in two large sums from another country constitute a fee of 700 via money order to get th
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
answered on Sep 14, 2019

Sounds like a scam to me. Take the proposal to a attorney for review before paying anything.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Banking and Business Law for South Carolina on
Q: If I'm an authorized signer on a corporate account, am I liable for any tax debt to the state or IRS?

I work in the accounting departing. My duties include payroll, accounts payable, paying taxes. The corporation I work for is not in any tax debt right now. Due to some changes with the bank I may need to be added as an authorized signer to move money around the company accounts, Payroll, payable... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Apr 4, 2019

Although it is impossible to predict what your future has in store for you, it is safe to say that merely being the bookkeeper and having signing authority on the company account--in and of itself--is not enough to tag you for some possible taxes due in the future. However, it is just as safe to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for South Carolina on
Q: according to SC laws pertaining to auto loans, are you allowed to make principal payments without being charged interest

I’m financed through ally bank and they are giving me a hard time with making an extra payment just toward my principal. They are tacking in interest for the month again. By law am I able to make just a principal payment without interest? And why is my payout higher than what is left on the car?... Read more »

D. Nathan Davis
D. Nathan Davis
answered on Feb 13, 2018

You need to review the note and related documents. Under a standard amortization, you can make payments to principal.

If your loan was financed using the rule of 78's, then, you cannot pay principal as you are asking.

If the loan is a simple interest loan, you are charged...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.