Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Insurance Defense Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for South Carolina on
Q: Can you accept an insurance companies total loss offer but buy your car back with a salvage title with a lien on it stil

I owe $8000 on my car they offered $13000 can I get my car back with a salvage title

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jan 14, 2022

Most likely you will have to pay off the lien from your insurance proceeds before you can obtain a salvage title. I doubt the lienholder would agree otherwise but you can ask them if they will do so.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Insurance Defense and Municipal Law for South Carolina on
Q: What type of liability insurance is needed for a home child care center?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 7, 2021

A South Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. You could also consider discussing this with an insurance agent who has experience with commercial policies for these types of operations. That way you could identify the risks you need to be protected... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation, Construction Law and Insurance Defense for South Carolina on
Q: independent contractor or subcontractor for workman’s comp

I’m a homeowner trying to have a shed built. Anyone I’ve interviewed does not carry workman’s comp insurance. I believe if an employer has more than 4 employees they must carry workman’s comp but in reality that is not often. Can a company I hire to build a shed be classified as an... Read more »

Ilene Stacey King
Ilene Stacey King answered on Aug 9, 2018

Are you a homeowner or property owner building a shed on your property, or are you in the business of building sheds? If building sheds something you do as part of your business, then you might be considered a general contractor. If you are a property owner hiring a company to build a shed for you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for South Carolina on
Q: I was hit by a person who deliberately went off the road to go around me. What can I do?

While inching slowly out of a business on a very narrow street, a person in an old car, not wanting to wait for me to exit on to the street, attempted to off the road to go around me, and struck my vehicle.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 12, 2017

You can make a claim for damage to your car and any injuries. Do not give recorded statements until you speak with a member of the SC Assn for Justice.They give free consults.

If you were hurt you need to see a doctor.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for South Carolina on
Q: What to do after insurance canceled policy after accident?

After my brother was killed in a motorcycle accident, his insurance notified me that his policy had been canceled. They told me there was insufficient funds in his bank account to make the initial payment and I would not be able to reinstate the policy. When I called the bank, there was no evidence... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 16, 2016

It's not clear--if it's cancelled after that doesn't matter--it sticks as of the time of the crash. They can cancel the minute later and there is still coverage.If someone else was involved or it was a bike issue, then you need to speak with a member of the South Carolina Trial... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.