Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Patents (Intellectual Property) Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for South Carolina on
Q: Hello. I have a question about a patent for a fitted bed sheet with pockets. Is it expired I'm unable to decipher that?

I was able to Google and saw there was a patent for fitted sheets with pockets but unsure I'f it is expired

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Nov 15, 2021

Patent term is more confusing than it should be. The one part that is simple, is that patent term is not a function of the technology. There is not a way for the applicant to apply to extend the patent term (unlike trademarks or copyrights). (but as noted below, there are things that can shorten... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for South Carolina on
Q: Hi, I have been trying to get my personal property back and my grandpa’s wife refuses to give it back. What do i do?

She lives in Florida and I have been trying for two years to get my stuff back. I asked her for the property back or the money to replace it and she told me that I was getting nothing back and that she didn’t owe me anything. I never abandoned my property, I had been kicked out by them and... Read more »

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Oct 20, 2020

This question has been posted to the attorneys that handle patents (a way of protecting an invention) and to intellectual property (patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets).

The problem described does not belong in these categories. You may want to talk to someone with experience...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for South Carolina on
Q: How do I go by finding out who patent my daddy oil.

He had a stroke and we trying to find the lawyer who patent it for him.

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Jan 7, 2020

I am sorry that your father had a stroke. I hope he recovers fully and quickly.

You can start with and type in the legal name your father would have used in signing legal papers (does he use a middle initial or a middle name). Google will offer you the option...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Patents (Intellectual Property) for South Carolina on
Q: Hello, If I'm wanting to file for a patent how can I protect it in case I have a divorce?

I'm in a marriage that is going to well but I have an idea for a patent and plan to file for a provisional patent in the next few days. Should I just get a friend of mine to take ownership until I'm sure I can own the patent safely.

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Aug 24, 2018

This is an interesting question, that has more to do with family law than patent law. But here are a few points:

Once a patent issues, then the patent is considered a personal property, just like a bank account, a car, or an art collection. Whenever there is a divorce, the property is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for South Carolina on
Q: What is the average cost to get a provisional patent for an app idea?
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Sep 17, 2017

The filing fee that the U.S. Patent Office charges for a provisional patent application is $260 if you are a large business, $130 if you are a small business, or $65 if you are an individual inventor (but not too rich).

But the filing cost is not an issue. You need to have a good patent...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.