Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Social Security for South Carolina on
Q: Do I need to just stop being rep of payee if so how?

I am currently rep of payee of my 64 year old mother's disability. Now she will not let me in her home & will barely speak to me because of diff of opinions. Should I stop being rep for my legal responsibility or how responsible for her am I?

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Jan 7, 2022

As a representative payee of your mother's Social Security disability, you have a lot of responsibility. You are responsible for managing your mother's benefit payments in a way that is in her best interests. You must follow Social Security law and use her disability payments for your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for South Carolina on
Q: Am I able to switch between eligible benefits?

I will be eligible to receive widow benefits shortly. However, once I reach full retirement age, I will be able to receive a substantially higher amount from my ex-husband (married 16 years.) If I choose Widow's benefits, can I later change to the Divorced Spouse? If yes, please let me know... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2019

You should contact legal services or the AARP would have some resources.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Social Security for South Carolina on
Q: What can I do If I have no money for Doctors, medicine and food after paying credit cards with SS?Can they take my SS?

I am 76 in poor health, walk with a walker. I rent an apt, my car is old but paid for.

No money for Lawyer.

D. Nathan Davis
D. Nathan Davis answered on Feb 26, 2018

Your Social Security cannot be seized by a creditor to pay a bill. Unfortunately, a creditor may try to seize your money and then you may have to hire an attorney if a creditor does, in fact, seize your money.

You need to contact a local Legal Aid Office near you and schedule an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Social Security for South Carolina on
Q: divorce after 23 years, will I still be entitled to draw off my husbands social security if I DO NOT REMARRY.
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Jul 15, 2016

That's a good question: the Social Security Administration (SSA) has information online for divorced spouses:

Retirement benefits:

Survivor's benefits:

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for South Carolina on
Q: I became disabled 2004 and was awarded ssdi .then June last year they stopped my checks and said I could go back to work

That's ten years. I was told to refile now they have strung me along for ten months I have no power no income 16 in food stamps per month and peoples charity to make it on. I don't know how they can do this I worked hard for thirty years and paid my fica tax. Now they have left me to... Read more »

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on May 5, 2015

If you are looking for an attorney to solve the issues, complete contact form with the case history in details at We will determine if we can help. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for South Carolina on
Q: if my son is getting money from my SSD check.Will his part be returned to me once he turns 18

will his part of the money go back into my check once he is no longer getting the money from my SSD

Jonathan Alexander Heeps
Jonathan Alexander Heeps answered on Dec 24, 2014

No. There are two limits on SSDI benefits - your individual max (PIA) and family max. In order to get dependent benefits your family max must be higher than you PIA. For example, PIA (800) Family max (800), in this situation there would be no dependent benefits. But if your PIA was (1000) and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for South Carolina on
Q: Can you appeal a decision by the US District Court denying your Social Security Disability claim ?

It's Sept and I was denied back in April by the US Court but was never notified of the decision by my attorney or by the court. I need to know can that decision be appealed ?

Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus answered on Sep 17, 2014

Yes it can be appealed but if the decision was in April 2014 then the time period to appeal probably has expired.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.