Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Tax Law for Indiana on
Q: Who claims child for 2021 tax season?

Divorce final in May 2021. Decree states that the petitioner can claim in 2021 and odd years. Respondent can claim in 2022 and even years. My ex husband is fighting me on this even though I’ve tried explaining that I claim this year.

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Jan 22, 2022

The tax year is the year the taxes are due for and not the year they are filed in. So if the mother is awarded the odd years then they would be 2021, 2023, 2025 etc. In other words in 2022 you file for 2021 which is an odd year. You may have to get the lawyers or courts involved again if there... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: How to find out what a citation was for and when it was issued

It's for Jill biller b e e l e r driver's license 018-892-26 date of birth 12/5/559 notification of withdrawal of driving privileges SDCL 32-12-49 effective 1/29/22

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jan 21, 2022

That does not sound like a TNDL. You may wish to read the Citation verbatim, possibly with a magnifying glass. Then call the Court that it is before and ask. Otherwise hire an attorney to figure out what is going on. It may not be a Citation but a Notice of Suspension from DOS due to an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for New York on
Q: Im a partial owner (with a parent) of a property and would like to become a sole owner. Is it taxfree
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay answered on Jan 20, 2022

If your parent intends to make a gift of his or her interest in the property, depending on the value of the gift it may be subject to gift tax. However, New York does not impose a transfer tax on gifts of real property that are made without the payment of consideration.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for California on
Q: Is there a way to claim a house from a trust and then transfer the deed of a house without it showing up on taxes?

A family member of mine was bequeathed a house from a living trust. He has not claimed it because he doesn’t work so he can get medi-cal to cover the medical care that he needs. Would he be able to claim it and transfer it to someone else without it affecting his qualifications for medical or his... Read more »

Julie King
Julie King answered on Jan 19, 2022

No. Deeds are public records that anyone can see and receive a copy of simply by asking the County Recorder and paying the copying fee. Many counties have their deeds online for easy access. Also, be aware that there is a “look back period” before someone can qualify for some needs-based... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Michigan on
Q: Do you have to pay taxes on real money winnings in phone app games?

Like in app game such as blackout bingo or cash carnival real money slots and spin to win? Also are game like these legal.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 17, 2022

The IRS considers winnings income that you must report. Most legit places will issue a 1099 along with your winnings, which is how the IRS will know to look for your accurate reporting come tax time.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Tax Law for Illinois on
Q: I got hit from a semi truck from behind . I called the police and he give me the ticket . Developed dvt,head injury back
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Jan 13, 2022

The only way that YOU could be ticketed on a rear-end accident is if your disabled car was in the roadway. If this is not the case, you should NOT have received a ticket AND you should be able to recover. Please contact my office and I am happy to answer any questions you may have without any... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law and Federal Crimes for Nevada on
Q: IRS account transcripts issues

I was hoping I could ask you a question.

When I login to get my account transcripts. For some reason as of last Friday I was able to see 2014 and 2015 and download them. However as of yesterday Saturday I can see all of them except for 2014 and 2015 it says N/A for those years.

Is... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Jan 12, 2022

Transcripts only stay available online for a certain period of time. If you did not owe any taxes for a particular year it is not unusual for them to be removed. January is the time of year that the IRS updates its systems so that may be why they disappeared. There is no guarantee that this is... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Florida on
Q: I sold a second home with a net profit of $187,000. I don’t pay income taxes because my income is tax free. Do I have

To pay capital gains taxes?

Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral answered on Jan 11, 2022

I would guess that you do, but the person you want to consult with on this is an accountant/CPA.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for California on
Q: In 2011 I incurred a state California tax debt. In six years ago I got married. If I move to Washington state.

Will California still go after my wife’s income or just mine to pay back the debt

David S. Greenberg
David S. Greenberg answered on Jan 7, 2022

Because Washington is a community property state, you have a community interest in your wife's earnings. The California FTB can therefore collect on your community interest in those earnings.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury and Tax Law for California on
Q: Im paying all the bills and husband hiding his money in an investment in x name. What can I do. I found bank letter

The letter was sent to my home re: Request to change address to x address. We have been married for a year.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jan 7, 2022



View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I owe real state taxes for the city of Methuen MA Can I set up a payment plan are there any options

The total real state taxes with fees and penalties is around 30000, can a payment plan be in placed so I don’t loose my home and also be on time with my current tax bill

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley answered on Jan 7, 2022

Contact the tax collector, explain your situation, and see if you can arrive at a payment plan.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can a deal be made with the city of Methuen if you owe taxes on real state

I was having a rough couple years domestic violence, health ,unfortunately , I owe real state taxes for the city of Methuen they want to foreclose on my property can I make a payment plan is there anything I can do , my situation has change and I’m able to pay the taxes moving forward and setting... Read more »

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley answered on Jan 7, 2022

Contact the tax collector, explain theyour situation, and see if you can arrive at a payment plan.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Alabama on
Q: Can I press charges for my husband using my SSN for taxes after separation?
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Jan 7, 2022

You should first go to and get a transcript of the tax return for the year in question. Next, contact the IRS and schedule an appointment at the Taxpayer Customer Service office closest to your residence, and ask a representative to review the situation. Each individual person has... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Alabama on
Q: My dad is downsizing and is planning to leave me and my fiance his fully paid off house. We need any advice to get start

Should we inherit or transfer deed into name and just pay the property taxes?

Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Jan 7, 2022

A Living Trust would be one of the best simple ways for your father to set up his estate plan. The real estate would need to be transferred to the Trust and the documents would most certainly need to be prepared by an attorney. An Attorney who practices in the area of estate planning and tax law... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Florida on
Q: Adding someone to the Deed or creating a Cohabitation Agreement?

I own a home, and my fiance lives with me and has put a substantial amount into the home. To protect her investment, we were looking into adding her to the title/deed. I am concerned about a few things I have read regarding this:

1. There is a mortgage on the home with an escrow account. Is... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim answered on Jan 6, 2022

These are all good questions.

Quitclaim deed will not trigger loss of homestead exemption as to you. If your fiancé lives with you, she'll need to complete a separate homestead application. You will only pay tax to the county on the amount indicated in the quitclaim deed, so it is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Employment Law and Tax Law for Florida on
Q: Florida Unemployment Overpayment payback demand for continued PUA -i appealed and no response!

It says 'insufficent evidence' for self employment for the continued payments starting Dec 27 2020. It was good enough for 2020 but then not anymore. I thought i uploaded schedule C from 2019 but apperently the DEO did not get it and so they claim i got to pay back 18x125 (not including... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jan 6, 2022

You CANNOT handle this giant problem by yourself. Hire an experienced unemployment comp lawyer immediately, and pay them to appeal for you.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Tax Law, Banking and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am on a school board for a private school.

Can a parent make a donation to the school (501c3) and then ask for the money back if they move or enroll their child elsewhere?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 5, 2022

The parent can ask - but there isn't anything requiring the refund. There is no federal law, and most states classify the donation as a gift and therefore no longer the property of the person giving the donation, and thus not required to be returned. However, if the funds were donated with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Georgia on
Q: Is it correct that my fitness franchise that I am opening in GA will have sales & use tax?

Business is a franchise I have purchased from franchisor. Products are: monthly memberships for personal training service, the occasional apparel sale, beverage sales (bottled water, etc.), and nutritional supplements (sold online). I will have personal trainers who are my employees. I'm... Read more »

Glenn M. Lyon
Glenn M. Lyon answered on Jan 5, 2022

Yes, for both the services and products.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: In the state of Texas what is the time limit to file criminal charges in a sibling for child molestation?
Vonnie Clay Dones III
Vonnie Clay Dones III answered on Jan 3, 2022

In Texas, there is no statute of limitations for indecency with a child, sexual assault, or rape of a victim who is a child.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Tax Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there a law or statute that applies to hotels/motel stays and rates after 30 days in regards to taxes ect?
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 30, 2021

In essence the answer is no, but the Oklahoma Administrative Code 710:65-19-143 does spell it out a little.

Hotels, motels, apartments, etc.

(a) The gross receipts from the furnishing of rooms, except meeting rooms, by a hotel, apartment-hotel, cottage camp, or lodging house...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.