Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Tennessee Insurance Bad Faith Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Insurance Bad Faith and Car Accidents for Tennessee on
Q: I was involved in an accident with a motorcyclist. My insurance company left me under-insured though they knew about my

assets because they were covering them. Can I sue my insurance company to pay what I've been sued for? To add insult to injury, they provided me with a lawyer who did not defend me and was responsible for browbeating me into signing away all I have.(my home) in a mediation. I'm 85... Read more »

Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright answered on Jul 28, 2017

You should make an appointment and see a lawyer. There are a lot of details that would have to be discussed before an answer could be given. Tennessee has a short statute of limitations - so don't wait. Most lawyers will do an initial consultation for free.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Insurance Bad Faith, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Tennessee on
Q: Can I take a moving company to small claims court for non-delivery of shipment?

I recently re-located from MD to TN. I hired a moving company to ship some household items to TN that were picked up on June 26 in MD. Per the company's written delivery schedule, items should be delivered between 1- 14 days. It has been 32 days since they were pick up and still no delivery.... Read more »

Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright answered on Jul 28, 2017

You can take them to court. But look at your contract. There may be some requirement that you arbitrate, or submit the matter to mediation first. I would suggest you contact the moving company and tell them you are giong to contact the police / district attorney as to his if the furniture is not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Insurance Bad Faith for Tennessee on
Q: Is it legal to file and receive theft claim on a foreclosed home when the insurance policy holder has been dead for 2yr?

My mother passed on 8/23/15. I tried to take over the payments of her home considering I am her only living heir and those checks were sent back to me untouched. I went to court on 2/28/17 over foreclosure, tried to speak to the judge and he shut me up fast stating we were there for a... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 17, 2017

Your case does not have anything to do with criminal law. More than likely the insurance policy was paid for by the lender who held the note and deed of trust, which undoubtedly paid to the first lienholder prior to anything going to the homeowner. You may be able to make a complaint with the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Insurance Bad Faith and White Collar Crime for Tennessee on
Q: My late mother paid a mortgage co for title insurance but they never done one, is that illegal?

My mother paid a mortgage co for title insurance in 2007. The mortgage company did not do the title search until after my mother's death 8 years later, thus finding out the land wasn't signed off by my uncle back in 5/02, leaving him owning a security interest in the land. The title... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 17, 2017

You have not provided all of the necessary data, but I can tell you this much. It appears that your uncle has a superior or first deed of trust on the property.. It may include fixtures also, and if the mobile home does not have wheels, it might be arguably affixed to the land and part of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Small Claims for Tennessee on
Q: Is there a time limit on the car insurance company issuing the reimbursement check after making a settlement agreement?

And then the check didn't come for 2 months causing many additional costs I want to be compensated for.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 30, 2016

they are supposed to get it out promptly--within short time. If you were hurt contact a member of the Tenn Assn for Justice--they give free consults.

You can ask them to pay; if they refusce contact the consumer counsel for your state AG's office.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Tennessee on
Q: An insurance agent here in TN claims he doesn't owe me balance of canceled premium b/c of cancelation fee? Legal?

An insurance agent in TN is claiming that he doesn't owe me the balance of the premium paid on an auto insurance policy because the "cancelation fee" cancels it out. It is my understanding that insurance is regulated by the state in TN and that in the event of a canceled policy the... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 12, 2016

Ask him to show you where the policy talks about a cancellation fee.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Tennessee on
Q: My auto insurance has been automatically renewing my policy& bill my debit w/o my consent/knowledge for 2 YEARS! HELP

Insurance company has been billing my credit card for the last 2+ years without my knowledge or consent. I haven't had that car in 2+ years. They automatically renewed 2 years of monthly payments without my knowledge or consent. I was never contacted in over 2 years. My car died, I sold it for... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 4, 2016

They can't wait two years then hit you. If it was monthly, you would have seen it on the bill.File a dispute with the credit card company immediately if you didn't already. Where did you have correspondence with them before? Look for paperwork using your alternate address--like when your... Read more »

Q: Can i get a general dismissal release thrown out he lied to get me to sign it. based on what the car lot owner said?

He said he fixed it. He made it a worse problem and now I had no headlights. But he gave it back an I payed truck note an insurance by friday night. Court was Thursday. He repoed it Saturday stating it was him exercising his right not to sell it to me. I havent been able work lost jobs an now... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 29, 2016

Not sure what is going on here and who the person is. Suggest you contact a consumer attorney go to

However they won't be able to do anyhing for your financial situation immediately so you need to develop a plan to meet your needs to get to work, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.