Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Estate Planning, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Texas on
Q: If I lived at a house for 5yrs and was kicked out by force with not being allowed to get my things from the house.

What course of action do I have to retrieve my things like titles birth certificates clothes tools beds art works wood works etc I live in texas I did pay rent and utilities no lease it was rent to own me n my parents split the cost of buying the house 1/3 each and when my dad died she took all our... Read more »

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Sep 1, 2019

You do not state whether you were a renter with a lease, a renter without a lease or a guest or whether you were kicked out for nonpayment. Some leases allow the landlord to seize and sell your personal property if you do not pay rent.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: Got charged w felony 7 yrs ago. It got disposed 11/3/2013. Will this show up on a background ck for a new job

I got charged with a state jail felony seven years ago this month. I did my probation and community service and got to get out early with it being disposed early. I just accepted a job offer for a private dental office and after he went over everything he then told me he was going to run the... Read more »

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Aug 3, 2019

Criminal convictions remain on your record forever. The 7 year matter deala with credit reporting agencies

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: What can i do about my ex-boyfriend,now roomate recording me and making me work for him and do without everything?

Now im not positive but i believe that he or someone he knows has hacked everything i have ever owned i even found a messanger profile with my name and picture on his cell phone ! I always pay my tickets on time and lord knows i had never even been to jail till John Willis-Doc - i have called and... Read more »

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Mar 25, 2019

Contact the Genesis Women's Shelter at 214.946.HELP (4357). Good luck.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: if im charged with a felony fraud less then 5, does it get dismissed if the one who filed the charge is dead?

Does the dead man rule apply since it isnt a civil matter or is it not dropped sincr the state picked up the charges

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Mar 24, 2019

Any crime could prosecuted with a dead alleged victim; not just crimes like murder and manslaughter.

The case will continue unless the prosecutor decides to seek a dismissal. That said, it is certainly possible that the prosecutor's interest in the case may decline with the death of...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: My mother is a check fraud victim, what next?

My mother had her driver's license, signature and bank checks compromised recently. She was informed of this by her bank when the offenders withdrew cash using these compromised documents. So far there have been cash withdrawals from within our city and in another several hundred miles away,... Read more »

Paul Looney
Paul Looney answered on Aug 21, 2018

Go to the bank and complete a fraud affidavit. The bank should begin refunding stolen funds. Change your credit cards, bank cards, etc. The bank can handle that off the top. Consequences? There should be none after it is established the bank recognizes the fraud. Hope this has been helpful, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: what is the punishment for credit card theft in Texas?
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on May 17, 2018

Theft offenses are listed under Section 31.03 of the Texas Penal Code; Credit Card Abuse is under Section 32.31. The punishment range for a particular offense depends on the facts alleged. Have an attorney review the charging instrument filed in the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: A friend of mine took a fair amount of money from my debit card without my permission. What do i do against her?

She took a total amount of $1500 from the debit card that is issued under my name and an additional $3000 in which I lent her. But she promised that she was going to pay everything, but she keeps failing to meet her ends. I was wondering if there is anything I could do regarding this matter.

Matthew Valley
Matthew Valley answered on Feb 17, 2018

Assuming this is relatively recent and not past the statute of limitations:

If she used your debit card without your authorization you can file a police report and hope the county decides to file a criminal case against her. You also have the option of pursuing a judgment in small claims...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: My credit card company is refusing to work with me when someone with my same name opened a credit card account that's

now affecting my credit. I think it's just an honest mistake (the cardholder seems to be a man and I'm a woman with a gender neutral name), but how do I get them to look into this so my credit report isn't negatively impacted?

David Humphreys
David Humphreys answered on Aug 31, 2017

Go to and click on the tab identity theft. You can see how to write the needed letter and what you need to say. The good news is that many times a well written letter makes the problem end. If not, you have rights and you will want to contact a lawyer that handles FCRA and ID Theft... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: Is it possible to receive probation on a 2nd degree felony if it's your first offence ?
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jan 25, 2017

Yes, it is possible. It is even POSSIBLE to get probation for MURDER although obviously that is not the likely result. If convicted of a 2nd degree felony, the punishment range is 2 to 20 years in the state penitentiary and a fine up to $10,000. A felony prison sentence can be probated for up to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Real Estate Law and Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: My brother was incarcerated and his wife sold their house and had her ex-husband Forge his name what can he do about it
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jan 21, 2017

Forgery of a Deed or Mortgage is a State Jail Felony that should be reported to law enforcement.

Second, see a family law attorney about a divorce and the proper division of the marital assets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.