Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Tax Law for Utah on
Q: I want to register an anonymous business in Wy, then in Ut where I live. When I register in Ut, will I lose anonymity?

I have an e-learning business. I want it to remain as anonymous as possible. So I plan on registering in Wy. I do all the work out of Ut, which means I probably need to register here as well.

1. Do I need to register in both states if I do all the work in Utah, or can I just register in... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Jan 25, 2022

It is not necessary to register in two states. In Utah, you can register a new business without revealing the names of the owners. To do this, you will need help from a third party like an attorney or registered agent services.

The newly created company will need an address, contact info,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: If my wife up and leaves with our child .What can I do .there is no custody agreement
Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jan 25, 2022

In order to establish a child custody, parent time, and child support, you need to file for separation or divorce and request temporary orders. You should act sooner rather than later, the longer you hesitate, the weaker your case will be. You truly need the assistance of a competent family law... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: Is prior "Small Business Administration" debt inherited after marriage?

My partner has a SBA loan from 2019. Will it become my debt after we get married?

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Jan 24, 2022

On those simple facts, no. You marry the partner, not his/her premarital debts. You would only become liable for the debt if you consented, e.g., by assuming the obligation with a writing signed by you for some new consideration.

But, if, for instance, you somehow participated in your...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Utah on
Q: Does the state of Utah prohibit the use of air guns for self defense?

Example: byrna launcher

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jan 20, 2022

If an item is legal for you to have in your possession and you feel that you are in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury then you may use that item to defend yourself. If you cannot legally possess a handgun, you should not be in possession of an "air gun" either.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for Utah on
Q: I want to make some NFT art. Is there a way i can use comic characters, people's likenesses or mythical gods legally?

My art wouldnt be a copy and paste situation. For example, Its more or less a 3d sock puppet that looks like superman.

Steve Charles Vondran
Steve Charles Vondran answered on Jan 19, 2022

Generally speaking, you need to be careful when tying to use copyrighted pictures, images, characters, or real living third party persons in your NFT's. I know this is a new area of technology, but traditional principles of copyright law still exist. Unless you are making a COLLAGE, for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: Can I, (a legal resident who were locked out of my fiancés house,) hire a locksmith to open my door?

My fiance and I were in a fight and he changed the locks to the house. I am legally allowed access but can not enter due to the new locks.

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jan 19, 2022

Probably. If you have been residing there he must follow eviction procedures to have you removed; he cannot just change the locks. If you have that address listed as your residence on your government-issued ID, the locksmith will likely open the door for you (less likely if you mention that your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: Please see the more info section.

I have a friend that slept with a gal that was 17 almost 18 back in October of 2013. My friend was 25 at the time so he was 8 years older than her. He turned 26 a few months after they hooked up and she turned 18 a few months after as well. It was consensual.

It has been 8 years now.... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jan 18, 2022

The age of consent in Utah is 16, so this is not a statute of limitations issue. If the encounter was consensual when it occurred in 2013 then no crime was committed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: If the statute of limitations has run can the police still arrest you?

My friend met up with some hookers 5.5 years ago in Salt Lake County and he worries he's going to get in trouble for it. I believe the statute of limitations In 2016 is 2 years for them to find out and press charges. Now 5.5 years later can anything happen to him?

Lance E. Bastian
Lance E. Bastian answered on Jan 17, 2022

While you are generally correct that the statute of limitations in Utah for patronizing a prostitute is 2 years, there are a few important caveats to that. First, if your friend has prior convictions for the same thing or if the prostitutes involved were minors, it could be a third-degree Felony... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Utah on
Q: Is disorderly conduct,(76-9-102) or,(76-8-5060), grounds for search warrant? Never charged for either.

This is Utah. I called police as i thought i had intruders in my home. they did a search and had me go to the hospital for a evaluation. They executed the search warrant to cover after i had left upon where they found illegal marijuana oil. They then got another warrant for that. The first warrant... Read more »

Lance E. Bastian
Lance E. Bastian answered on Jan 17, 2022

There's quite a bit going on here, and I would need more information to really evaluate the situation. It sounds like during the initial sweep of the house for intruders, the police may have seen something that prompted them and gave them a basis to get the first warrant. You would need to see... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Can you sue a residential treatment center from when you where a minor (8) years ago for physical abuse and negligence ?

Myself and a few other girls from my treatment center where abused as minors and we have permanent nerve damage as well as other injuries we still have today. I was young when I left and didn’t realize it was child abuse until I was older

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 16, 2022

A Utah attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm very sorry this happened to you and the other girls at the facility. You could reach out to law firms to discuss in detail and confidence. The fact that this happened to more than one of you could possibly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: Two sister missionaries came to my door pretending to be child protective services, is this illegal?

I don't know why they did it... I just went along with it so they would leave, but it's left me feeling weird about everything ... What can I do?

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jan 15, 2022

There are a few scenarios where it might be illegal. If they represented they were some type of law enforcement officer, that would be illegal. If they only said they were with DCFS, that would not qualify. If they told you they were with DCFS to gain access to your home to commit some other crime... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Utah on
Q: I am transgender and legally changed my name and gender. Do I answer a court summons to my old name?
Stuart Nachbar
Stuart Nachbar answered on Jan 14, 2022

This is not a bankruptcy question. This is a State Court matter, unless Federal Court, and you need to speak to someone in your State. This is because they (Plaintiff) may need to do an Alias Summons.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Sexual Harassment for Utah on
Q: A neighbor accused our 12 year old of getting nakid with her either holding her against the wall or laying on top of

her cps was called by the school and we are meeting with a detective tomorrow. Does he need legal counsel?

Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Jan 13, 2022

Absolutely. These are very serious allegations that may have serious consequences (expulsion from school, protective orders, etc.)

I highly suggest speaking with an attorney who specializes in juvenile law.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: Does an unmarried mother in Utah have sole physical custody? Paternity is established.
Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Jan 13, 2022

Very simply, no. Parents are equal under the law, regardless of gender.

However, many other factors must be considered, for example, the court would look at the custody factors found in UCA 30-3-10 to determine a parent-time arrangement as well as physical and legal custody.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Utah on
Q: How do you get a custody order reversed that was falsified? What can you do when they intercepted mail and had no idea?

My fathers ex girlfriend while living with him went to the courts and filed for custody of my sister claiming she didn’t know where he was. And would get all the mail and summons to appear and hid it from my dad so they granted her full custody. Jump forward a year and she assaults my dad again... Read more »

Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Jan 13, 2022

This is a tricky situation. There are ways to undue orders, especially those that were obtained under false pretenses. Please see Utah R. Civ. P. 60.

This seems to be a complicated issue. I would advise you to talk with a lawyer who is familiar with domestic issues like this.

2 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for Utah on
Q: I live in utah. I was pulled over for a dui, but was never told my rights as in the Miranda Law. Do the don't know t
Mr Aric M Cramer Sr.
Mr Aric M Cramer Sr. answered on Jan 7, 2022

I don't understand your question. Miranda only applies to questioning after an arrest. Call a DUI defends specialist in the area where you were charged for a consultation.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Utah on
Q: My dad passed away in 2005 and he left when I was born so I had never met him no clue if there was a will or not and I

Noticed that in his obituary it had listed 3 children which are three sisters I never knew about and not me not sure what to do.

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Jan 3, 2022


I am not sure about your question. What is it that you want to do? If you have an interest in trying to collect from your Dad' s estate, you would first need to see if a probate action was filed. I would look in the district where your Dad last resided. It would be an uphill...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Trademark for Utah on
Q: I have some questions that I have about an LLC that I started that might already be trademarked in a different state

If the LLC is already trademarked does that mean I cant start my LLC? The company that has that name looks like they've been inactive for sometime, or could I patent the name? Or does it not matter since its in a different state?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Dec 28, 2021

You need to consult with an attorney.

The use of a name in a company name may or may not be indicative of a brand use.

And you would need to do a trademark search and analysis to find out your options.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Utah on
Q: Does "written notice" to a landlord need to be signed and dated? Are emails and texts considered 'written notification"?

My wife and I are elderly and bought a house with a mother in law apartment 3 years ago (only our names are on the title and mortgage) but share expenses--mortgage, utilities, repairs and upgrades with our son and his family. He recently has tried to install a hot tub without our permission. When... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Dec 27, 2021

Normally your signed agreement between the parties will answer these questions. I highly recommend, whether you have an agreement or not, to sit down for a few minutes with an attorney to discuss your options. Most attorneys will do this first appointment for free to see whether they will be able... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Probate for Utah on
Q: My husband's brother died no will. But a forgery has appeared in the hands of his business partner. He had no children.

His wife has been dead a while. You can see the document is fake. There are 8 siblings alive, one is his wife's sister. There's a 10-acre parcel that half belongs to the deceased wife. Do we give her half to her sister? We already know the greedy Will forger won't prevail. Just want... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Dec 20, 2021

When you have property left in the name of someone who has died, the only way to transfer that property is to do either a probate or get an Order Determining Heirs. If you have a Will, you normally do a probate. If you have no will, or if it has been over 3 years since death, you will need an Order... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.