Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: When operating under a entertainment (dancing) license as an independent contractor, what taxes must I file?

I'm assuming I must file my personal taxes (which should cover my income and deductible expenditures) but do I need to file other business taxes? Does my time to file change?

And I just read that maybe I should have been paying as I earned; is this correct? I didn't explicitly... Read more »

Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn answered on Dec 20, 2017

It sounds like you would be classified as a Sole Proprietor for purposes of your tax filings. This means that your personal income tax return will include a Schedule C where you will declare your income from dancing and any deductible expenses associated with producing this income. This will also... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: Can a publisher legally file their taxes without knowing the real names of the authors who publish through them?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am a bit on the young side so I (fortunately) have not had much tax experience.

To make a long story short, I have been considering trying to start a small publishing house that focuses on maintaining anonymity for the author - not even I would... Read more »

Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn answered on Oct 11, 2017

This proposed business model may cause some issues with intellectual property and copyright issues (and perhaps other issues if the reasons for secrecy impacted criminal law concerns), but for tax purposes the biggest issue would be not being able to issue 1099s to your authors. Typically... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law, Business Law and Divorce for Washington on
Q: Divorcing my spouse & we started a construction company about 25 years ago, suspect corp embezzlement by him & officers

My soon to be ex and his business partners have dissipated our business in violation of court orders, taken out and spent all the money ($300K in meals and entertainment in 2 years), casinos, trips, his secretary/girlfriend fixing her car buying her clothes, trips etc. The business is now out of... Read more »

Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn answered on May 3, 2017

You are likely going to need a business attorney in your area to represent you in any dealings with these creditors who are hounding you. The business attorney should be able to advise you on any potential exposure to creditors claims and defend you if any creditors attempt to collect against you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: I am a caregiver for adult disabled child. I am paid by the state. I normally receive a 1099 and file that as

Nontaxable income but this year i received a w2. Do i file the same way or do i owe income tax on this?

Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Feb 8, 2017

The most important question is why believe the 1099 income was not taxable. IRS publication 525 specifically lists the kinds of income that are not taxable. You may be able to get a caregiver tax credit if you are a family member or "qualifying... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Washington on
Q: What is the best way to approach the fact that my Husband is not disclosing his actual income? Do I bring it up?

For 10 years he has said he didnt have his taxes filed, he produced fake paystubs with bank statements for different periods. He has never complied with LFLR 10. This is a post secondary support that is now a full modification and they are saying it hasnt been 2 years HELP!!! There reallly is a... Read more »

Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Feb 6, 2017

Contact a tax attorney immediately. If you are a low income taxpayer, you can go to a low income taxpayer clinic in your state.

This is very serious and shouldn't be handled by yourself.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Business Law for Washington on
Q: For a single-person LLC choosing to be taxed as an S-Corp, what if revenue isn't enough to pay a "reasonable salary?"

I understand salary must be "reasonable in industry standards" but who decides that, and what if there simply isn't enough revenue to sustain a "reasonable" salary for the owner? I'm a sole prop now (just me, pretty small income), and I'm trying to study the... Read more »

Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Jan 26, 2017

To put things in perspective, it's important to remember that an S-Corporation is its own legal person, separate and distinct from its owners. When you, as a single person, elect to turn your LLC into an S-Corporation, you automatically wear two hats - that of a business owner and that of an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Washington on
Q: How strict are the "live two years out of the previous five" to get the tax exemption when selling a house?

We've been in and out of the house over the last three years between renters. Does every day count or is it "generally" two years. What kind of documentation is required?

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Dec 15, 2016

It's a hardline rule, 1 year 364 days doesn't work. It's also more complicated than just 2 of 5, there's 5 steps that can be found at IRS Pub 523.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Immigration Law and Tax Law for Washington on
Q: can i do affiliate marketing on Opt status and H1 my course subjects are related to computer science

i was doing masters that will be completed by May 2016 i am good affiliate marketer in my country so i want to do affiliate marketing for some famous sites ,some even gave me permission to do seeing my background on marketing but i am not doing anything now ,am i eligible to do that , some of... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Feb 5, 2016

You can do as many jobs as you want when you are on OPT, but you will have to report all those jobs and they pay taxes properly. If you get an H1 you can not work for anyone else except the employer who sponsored your H1 visa. All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: Tax Lawyer Please 1099-C for S - Corp

We had a S corp small business. Foreclosed on in 2012. We now get a 1099-c for the corp and I do not know what to do with it.

I have checked the IRS web site, not sure where to look for closed business information.

One of the sites mentioned section 108 of the tax code, that... Read more »

Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi answered on Jan 18, 2016

For handling the canceled debt in an S corporation, have your accountant potentially review (Sec. 108(d)(7)(A)) and Gitlitz, 531 U.S. 206 (2001), in case. The information presented herein is for general purposes only. It is not intended to, and may not be construed as legal, tax or accounting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: If I have tax credits can I use them to pay for my self employment tax?
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi answered on Jan 3, 2016

Generally, a tax credit may reduce all type of taxes, including your SE taxes. The information presented herein is for general purposes only. It is not intended to, and may not be construed as legal, tax or accounting advice. For specific advice, please consult a tax attorney in person. Good luck.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: Can you help with Schedule C

Recently I was made aware that we should amend our tax returns to add self employment income I made for which I was paid cash..which was about 2k per year..

Those work were random and not consistent so I don't have any license etc. for that...for example 1. I helped my friend to fix... Read more »

Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi answered on Dec 5, 2014

Use your best estimate with respect to income and expenses to amend your tax returns and the schedule C. Put down “Service/Sales” and “Miscellaneous” for classification. The important thing is that you file the accurate tax returns and pay the accurate tax amount. Good luck. Zaher... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on


Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi answered on Nov 30, 2013

So, your sister who has no ownership interest in your property, which is co-owned with another sister, moves to and lives in you property. The IRS cannot come after the property owner; you and the other sister. The IRS can only attach her own assets, not where she live in. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: If you owe IRS back taxes, do you have to file bankruptcy before it will stop garnishments?
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi answered on Nov 19, 2013

It will be advisable to file all non-filed tax returns and depending on your finances, make an offer-in-compromise or ask for an installment plan. Generally, the BK must be filed at least TWO years after the returns filed by TAXPAYER (not the IRS)or at lease 240 days after the IRS assessed the tax... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: Why do we have to pay taxes if there is no law that states so also in 1898 and 1913 the supreme court agreed?
Christopher M. Larson
Christopher M. Larson answered on Dec 27, 2011

The 16th Amendment is the basis for the right to tax. That is why it is an income based tax.

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.