Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
West Virginia Health Care Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice and Health Care Law for West Virginia on
Q: Can a dr add marijuana user to your chart when you have liscense and state does not require informing docs?

I have revoked their right to release my med records but this info is now in a health information system and accessible to many doctors. She said marijuana was responsible for my symptoms that started years before using marijuana. She was unaware that there are different forms and concentrations of... Read more »

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on Mar 6, 2023

There is no limit on what doctors may or may not put in your records.

Some faculties/medical groups have procedures to addresses issues in patients' medical records.

In some states, there are methods in which you can seek a medial record change, or an addition to your medical records.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Health Care Law for West Virginia on
Q: Can I ask for proof of documents of someones role of being appointed power of attorney?

How should someone go about asking for this or even a living will?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 1, 2022

A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general practice nationwide, in most instances it's simply a matter of asking to see them. I have not had experience with them in settings involving living wills, but in general litigation, I ask... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for West Virginia on
Q: My mom was in the hospital from trying to commit suicide and then was placed under suicide watch

While being in suicide watch she was able to leave her room barracade herself and hang herself she died but the hospital was able to revive her can I sue and win the case for the hospital's negligence to even let it happen in the first place

D. Michael Burke Esq
D. Michael Burke Esq
answered on Jun 26, 2017

No, you cannot sue for anything. If there is a case, it is your mother's case. The hospital may be negligent, but the damages your mother suffered may not justify spending the substantial money and investing the time it takes to prosecute a medical negligence case. If your mother, or her... Read more »

Q: Hello , I am asking about the Virginia HB 2163, is it legal to take away someones right for a medication?

I am a patient that is being treated for opioid dependency. I am worried about this bill that may become law. I have a documented allergy on file to suboxone so I am treated with mono buprenorphine. This law would make it illegal for a doctor to write it to me. I didnt know what law practice area... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Feb 18, 2017

You need to speak with the group that is lobbying against it. Who those are I wouldn't know. Look at newpaper articles on it--it will usually say "......however, Billie Joe McAlister, spokesperson for Not So Fast, a group of opiod treatment professionals said that......." With the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.