White Collar Crime Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
White Collar Crime Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Sexual Harassment and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Can I plead 5th

If I lied when calling cops about dv about some of the other questions they asked (has he ever done this or that) and said yes and now i got a subpoena to be at court can I plead the 5th? I mean I read they can charge you if you lied.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 14, 2021

lying to the police is not a good thing.

you should discuss your plight with a criminal lawyer, at a consultation, asap.

many DV victims later say they lied, so the odds are that the police and DA will not believe you.

1 Answer | Asked in White Collar Crime for Virginia on
Q: My wife is being investigated for Medicaid fraud and we cannot afford a lawyer
Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Apr 29, 2021

If you cannot afford an attorney, request that the court appoint counsel in the case. Your wife has the right to appointed counsel if she cannot afford an attorney. Other options would to be explore discounted or pro bono attorney services.

Q: What type of evidence or witnesses is a defendant limited to , if any ?

Example: defendant is charged with embezzlement by their employer. Defendant has been falsely accused amd is suspicious of being framed by employer . A former employee was also accused of same crime.can defendant reach out to question them? Can defendant question employees that worked there after... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Apr 26, 2021

I regret that I do not handle criminal law matters. Sorry.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law, Libel & Slander and White Collar Crime for Washington DC on
Q: if someone were to make deepfake of both video and audio version of me, would that count as impersonation?

if somebody, were to make deepfake videos, and deepfake audio of me, with the intent of malicious intent of harming my reputation, would that count as impersonation?

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 17, 2021

It might be many things, depending on the facts. First, DC and Virginia are "one-party" audio recording jurisdictions, where only one person (the recorder) needs to consent to it, unlike in Maryland where it is illegal to make an audio recording of someone else without their actual... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Elder Law and White Collar Crime for Oregon on
Q: how do I find out if a wrongful death claim was filed against an employer many years ago, IF THE EMPLOYER KEPT THIS

SETTLEMENT VERY QUITE, There has to be a way of digging this up, But how if this employer kept this hush-hush

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 10, 2021

An Oregon attorney could answer best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a general matter nationwide, some unified court systems display cases online. Some systems might require registration to use their resources. That would be if the matter was filed as a lawsuit with an index number.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Michigan on
Q: I think I'm looking at wire charges for not claiming my checking assets went over 2k during a recert am I going to jail?

I was in the mental hospital for being suicidal for about a month. I was left homeless & got a room to rent that had bed bugs & mice & my Dr changed my meds. I was stressed. I went to my credit union to discover I had 3100 & 600 was the stimulus. I had about 1200 on EBT because I... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 25, 2021

It's hard to say what may or could happen. Most likely the worse you are looking at is welfare fraud, which is a felony. Generally, it's better to come forward to your case worker before he or she finds the issue and assumes you were trying to defraud the state; you can amend the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: Can I file a lawsuit to have a fraudulent W-2 revoked?

Can I file a lawsuit to have a fraudulent w-2 revoked?

I am an independent contractor.My life line during the pandemic depends on gig worker assistance. A company fraudulently re-characterized me as a w-2 employee after I terminated all business relationship with them due to consistent... Read more »

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Feb 24, 2021

I don't know what claims you could make yourself, but you could report the situation to the IRS. If they claim you were a W-2 employee, they should have been paying payroll withholding, and weren't. That can result in a 100% penalty against the company, and against anyone who had... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Law authorities are constantly snooping on device and impersonation by intercepting txt/calls constantly. With intent...

to have my works and ideas with my identity. I have the information on individual to whom is sponsored by authorities. Fortunately I not needing criminal lawyer.

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr answered on Feb 21, 2021

Law enforcement can only get a wire tap for 30 days at a time by court order. It often leads to an arrest. If you have not been arrested, or notified that you were tapped and that the investigation is finished, then you are probably not being tapped.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Illinois on
Q: I was arrested on a forgery warrant. The cops told me i could take my cell phone with me so I could use it to contact

Family about bail. At jail, they refused to let me use it an then stated that were seizing it for evidence. They did not have a search warrant for phone and did not provide me a receipt of the seizure. Is that legal?

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Feb 16, 2021

It all depends on the case. This is something you need to discuss with your attorney. If you have not hired an attorney yet, you need to do so right away.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Illinois on
Q: Can text messages used before an arrest happened, be used in the courtroom? How cN they prove that the defendant sent?
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Feb 16, 2021

It all depends on the messages and the case. This is something you should be discussing with your attorney. If you have not hired an attorney yet, you should do so right away.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Intellectual Property and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: Can someone please help me? I am being framed.

Both my brand new Inspiron and my really old hand-me-down HP have been exchanged at the CPU part, the base. I know there is an FBI investigation, now they can't find anything so they're setting me up to fail because I found accidentally SEC stuff relative to assets (A Huge Number of... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 15, 2021

IMO, you should have learned better before this happened. So learn it now: Seeking attention in the manner you have recently done sets off many alarms in many places you have never heard of.

The next thing you need to learn is that competent successful Florida lawyers will probably not...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in White Collar Crime for California on
Q: My mother who lives in California is threatening, me through my uncle who lives in India, to not give me my documents.

She says I must sign over all the money from my Indian bank account to her that my father left in solely my name. If I do not comply I will not be able to get my documents in India

Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene answered on Jan 23, 2021

You should sit down with an immigration lawyer who can analyze your situation. If they can't help you they can most likely refer to someone else who might be able to help you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: L.A Criminal: I have to give Notice to the D.A. of a Motion on the Court Calendar. Is there a specific form to use?

Los Angeles - Foltz Criminal Justice Center: The judge told me to give Notice to the DA of an upcoming Feb hearing. Do I only provide the D.A. with the hearing date, or do I also attached a copy of the Motion filed with the Court? Is there a form to notify the DA of a scheduled date (in addition... Read more »

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr answered on Jan 12, 2021

You give the da and the court the identical paperwork.

1 the motion.

2 the proof of service

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for New Jersey on
Q: An attorney friend gave me free legal advice - is now trying to use the confidential information I gave him against me

He’s just an attorney and he told me I can ask him any advice and now he’s trying to use it against me because we’re not friends anymore. Threatening to go to the authorities

Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers answered on Jan 9, 2021

Additional facts may be needed to provide a thorough answer. The short answer is no. If you sought legal advice from your friend and he provided it, a confidential attorney-client relationship is formed even if you never hired your friend to represent you. All communication with him that falls... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Small Claims and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: My Jeep was repo'd, when I went to collect my property from the vehicle there was $3000 of items missing.

I have receipts from everything of value stolen, including the tow truck drivers boss that released the vehicle to the transport company stating that she did see my personal property inside the vehicle before it left her lot.

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Dec 17, 2020

If you believe that you were a victim of a crime then you can report the incident to law enforcement... otherwise, it is a matter for civil court.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Rights, White Collar Crime and Wrongful Death for Oregon on
Q: When is abandonment legal?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 12, 2020

An Oregon attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. But as a general note, "abandonment" is a broad term and needs more context. Abandonment can arise in a number of scenarios, whether in shameful settings, as in children, spouses, or pets, or in more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Tennessee on
Q: ordered to pay rest on a criminal chge w 3 yr unsupervised sentence. Not a single VOP other than not being able pay?

I was ordered to pay resitution on a theft charge along with a 3 year probation sentence. I completed the 3 year proabtion with impeccable report, Other than paying resitution, due to very lack of work this past year, 2020. Probation officer filed a VOP , 5 days before the sentence end date on the... Read more »

Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin answered on Dec 7, 2020

It won't be turned over to civil but it is part of your probation to pay the restitution and they will extend it until it is paid. I would ask the court to waive any additional probation fees though.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Utah on
Q: I have a company that I have unsubscribed from several times. Is there any way I could file for misconduct?

The company is HP

Sarah S. Shepard
Sarah S. Shepard answered on Dec 4, 2020

I your issue is with unsolicited marketing emails, the CAN-SPAM Act governs email marketing conduct. Here is a link to more information about the law:


Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Tennessee on
Q: Are courts being more lenient on jail sentences with Covid? Hoping to get house arrest instead of jail time?
Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 30, 2020

It depends on the facts of the case, your criminal history and the DA's and victims' positions on jail time. Generally, in the beginning of the pandemic, courts were leaning away from jail sentences and were letting a lot of people out of jail on already-imposed sentences. Now, though,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Q: What's the next step after police to you about being involved in credit card fraud investigation of $20.00

Accidental credit card fraud. I used someone else's credit card to make a purchase. I then tried to make another purchase with card and it didn't work. I tried to use the card again. The screen then said something about card being offline. I used a different card the for the purchase and... Read more »

Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein answered on Nov 24, 2020

Do NOT speak to the police without a warrant. More information is needed to give you advice. Did you know the person whose credit card it was? If not, you could be charged with felonies, including access device fraud, theft, identity theft. If you knew the person, if they say you did not nave... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.