White Collar Crime Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
White Collar Crime Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Ohio on
Q: What do I do when I’m accused of Felony 5 theft when i had approval to take

I was told by multiple people above me I had the ability to take a product with out paying. These leaders i have seen do the same. I made sure I was on camera doing this so it did not look as if I was stealing. I have now been termed and charged with a felony 5. I have never been in legal trouble... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Apr 11, 2022

You need to get an attorney. Defending a criminal case is not something we can simply teach you to do in an internet forum.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Georgia on
Q: Federal criminal court. What is the process after a vacate and resentencing has been ordered by the appellate court?

How long does this process take the district court to do this? Is the psr always redone

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams
answered on Mar 10, 2022

It all depends on why the resentencing was ordered. If it has to do with information in the PSR, such as guideline calculations, then the PSR will be revised accordingly, although the presentence investigation is not redone in its entirety.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Business Law and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: Unjust Enrichment-gave up 50% of pay for share of incremental purchase price but then owners refused to pay.

As CFO of a business being sold, the owners of this business requested I take a 50% pay cut in return for splitting the incremental purchase price savings (about $1M) directly tied to my salary reduction. There is clear evidence of how my salary reduction contributed to $1M additional purchase... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim
answered on Mar 8, 2022

You can't be an employee at will and have an employment agreement.

Further, you may have several claims but obviously you need a consultation with a lawyer to understand your facts, review documents and advise accordingly.

Good luck.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Wife sentenced to 3 yrs and 4 months in Monterey county jail . She is serving prison time in jail since Oct. 6 2021

So when will she be released from jail and how much of her time does she half todo. No prior offense first time in jail

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Mar 6, 2022

the best person to answer this is the lawyer who represented her.

she might get out after 1/2 of the sentence if she is GOOD in jail.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Banking and White Collar Crime for Idaho on
Q: If someone shows you a fake bank document, but dont use it for anything, is it still illegal?

Someone showed me a fake bank document, but are not using it.

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
answered on Mar 1, 2022

What kind of "bank document" did he/she show you? If it was a bankcard and was used to access the money in the bank under the person's name, then it is ILLEGAL and prosecutable. If it was someone else's bank statement, it is called FRAUD, if it was utilized to obtain a loan.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in White Collar Crime for Tennessee on
Q: Does the government take life insurance payouts when someone who owes restitution dies?

My father was convicted of a white collar crime and ordered to pay restitution. He is currently on release due to the Covid 19 pandemic but his release date is July 2024. My brother and I bought life insurance on him and my mother years ago. We are the beneficiaries of the policy. My question is... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
answered on Feb 17, 2022

This is a public forum. You need to consult an attorney that knows exemptions and can read the Judgment of Conviction. Do not talk to anybody else about this.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and White Collar Crime for Indiana on
Q: Can someone be charged for the same case and crime in 2 different Indiana counties?

The judge and attorney had pointed out that they acknowledge this, a motion for dismissal was entered in October however it hasn't been addressed and the 2 counties are passing him back and forth even trying to revoke the bond paid already in one county.

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams
answered on Jan 20, 2022

No. Because the two counties are considered part of the same sovereign, that is, the state of Indiana, it would violate the Constitution's prohibition against double jeopardy.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Probate and White Collar Crime for North Carolina on
Q: After being named Executor for the estate it's discovered that the (POA) took atleast 180,000 for personal use.

POA added her name to accounts making them joint accounts to have survivorship rights and to block Executor of estate from seeing what money was spent on. Used Zelle to move money out of joint accounts to pay credit cards and into personal accounts. Paid car note off then sold car and mothers car... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
answered on Jan 11, 2022

This is a classic case of breach of fiduciary duty, conversion and probably other torts (and crimes). The case against the wrongdoer is an asset of the estate. As the executor, you have the authority to sue the wrongdoer on behalf of the estate for the return of the stolen funds. This is not a... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: Is there someone that can be held responsible for the headache this charge has caused me?

About myself: Besides a dismissal back in 2006 for Driving with Invalid License, and now this case, I have no other criminal history.

Recently, I was arrested due to having a warrant for one charge that was due to 2 hot checks I supposedly wrote at HEB, back in 2018.

I was confused... Read more »

Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
answered on Jan 9, 2022

Generally, a person has to pead guilty or "no contest" (which is the same thing as pleading guilty) in order for them to be placed on probation. And if you pleaded either of those, I'd say you are really out of luck. Then I would ask why you would do such a thing knowing you were not... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Georgia on
Q: In Georgia, under OCGA 42-8-38, does Probation begin when a motion challenging the Probationary Sentence is pending?

After servicing the imprisonment portion of the sentence and never reported?

Morris  Margulis
Morris Margulis
answered on Dec 15, 2021

A pending motion to modify a criminal sentence (whether in custody or on probation) will not automatically pause that sentence.

You can ask for a supersedeas bond to relieve you of your probation obligations while your motion is pending, but absent relatively extreme circumstances, you are...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Maryland on
Q: can you file criminal charges against a police officer for false arrest - - false imprisonment

can you file criminal charges against a police officer for false arrest - - false imprisonment

Matthew J. Bronson
Matthew J. Bronson
answered on Dec 10, 2021

Theoretically you could file criminal charges for a false arrest, but it would be a long uphill battle to show an Officer intentionally made a false arrest resulting in malfeasance or misfeasance. If you believe the Officer had no reasonable grounds to place you under arrest, you should seek... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Small Claims and White Collar Crime for Arizona on
Q: How can I prove ownership of the vehicle when it's titled in someone else's name?

I bought a vehicle in June 2021, received an open title & written bill of sale, but never registered it in my name. Fast forward to beginning of Nov, my husband asked a family friend to borrow $100 & told them he could pay back $10/day, but warned the payments would be sporadic. The friend... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Nov 30, 2021

Probably, but you will likely have to go to small claims court to do so. You would need to file a small claims court case for the current market value of the vehicle (because you cannot seek injunctive relief in justice court - "getting your title back" is injunctive relief). If you win... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Banking and White Collar Crime for Michigan on
Q: Hi, I was victim of bank fraud - someone other than me initiated in branch transactions, bank didn't raise flags or stop

Do I have case for bank failure to either protect n secure my banking & personal info, since someone within the "bank" compromised my info, and also either failed to spot n prevent to confirm n varify acct ownership, or someone within that branch conspired to allow these transactions... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Nov 28, 2021

Without more, it's likely the bank will restore to you whatever funds you lost. Depending on what exactly happened, or how much you lost, you could look into pursuing things further.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: Do deffense attorneys protect the victims of a crime or only the accused?

If you or someone you know becomes a victim of a White Collar crime, should you contact an attorney before reporting it? What type of attorney represents the victim harmed by the crime?

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams
answered on Nov 25, 2021

Defense attorneys often represent victims of crimes to ensure their rights are protected and they are being treated fairly within the system. The prosecutor is also a representative of sorts for victims as they are the Peoples attorney as well. However, a defense attorney for a defendant in a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking and White Collar Crime for Michigan on
Q: If I had illegally used a debit card 2015, moved to Florida what are my options if any? Statute of limitations?

I had used my mom's credit union debit card at numerous places at the end of July 2015. Over a weekend. On Monday I got on a bus to Florida to escape an abusive boyfriend and a very serious drug problem. (Heroin for almost 12 years @ 30 yrs old. I e been clean and sober since. No further... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Nov 12, 2021

Do you have pending charges? Are there warrants for your arrest? If so, then at some point you'll have to deal with each case. And if you have warrants, it's hard to say whether any of them are serious enough to extradite you, but that is a possibility that you absolutely don't want.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Ohio on
Q: Can i be convicted on charges if i never had a check cashed and they also don't have the check just a photocopy of it?

A friend of mine said he had done work for someone but didn't have an ID to cash a check they were paying him for the job so he had it put in my name. I went to cash this check and the bank acted a little fishy over this check and wanted me to stick around to ask the owner if it was legit. I... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Nov 4, 2021

Yes you could be convicted. Your defense goes to your state of mind and not knowing the check was a forgery. That can be difficult to back up. The prosecutor will almost certainly be convinced you were in on it. You should get a lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Indiana on
Q: Does the owner of a deposit accepting ATM machine own the cash inside as well?

Scenario: I have my own personal deposit-accepting atm machine that only I use, no one else. I make a deposit of $100 into my checking account using a $100 bill. I then physically open the ATM machine and take out that $100 bill that was just inserted (but my checking account balance remains the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Oct 27, 2021

If I were you I would have a banking lawyer on retainer, to help you when the going gets really tough.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: Where do I file a legal and/or criminal complaint if parties are in different states?

I wanted to look into filing a complaint against against some people for possible crimes, such as hacking my company's website and blackmail over the computer/text. I live in FL, they live in CA, and these incidents took place while they were in NY and CA. Can I file claims and complaints with... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Oct 15, 2021

You do not "file" criminal complaints; a prosecuting attorney for one of the several jurisdictions involved would do that. You would contact the governmental agency (such as a district attorney or state attorney in California, New York, or Florida; the FBI or Justice Department for the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Q: Me and my family got scammed out of 10k by a company that swears they're helping people purchase houses.

They found us "temporary" apartments, twice, and they swore that this money they took from us was going into a down payment for the house we purchase. I have ALL the emails and texts messages with the bull they put us through and all the lies they told. I don't have any of the phone... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Sep 28, 2021

Contact the Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs. You would also have an action in fraud against the company.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for North Carolina on
Q: How long does it take to get a no criminal no crime criminal installed microchip of medal metals of implants removal?

The cells dead in side the brain how long until vacuum out by law after installed in sleep by criminals 44 years?

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
answered on Sep 21, 2021

Your legal inquiry is not clear.

Please restate it for clarity or, better yet, reach out to any established licensed criminal law attorney locally to relay your exact legal needs directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.