Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wisconsin Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Wisconsin on
Q: My 17 year old was arrested for disorderly conduct in Wisconsin. What rights do I have as a parent in this situation?

He was arrested for disorderly conduct during his high school basketball game after removing his jersey and throwing it at his coach and then yelling and swearing and punching a locker on his way to the locker room. I understand that at 17 the state of Wisconsin considers him an adult for the... Read more »

William F Sulton Esq.
William F Sulton Esq. answered on Feb 3, 2018

You do not have rights, as the law defines that term. However, the situation is ridiculous and you should expect the charged to be dismissed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for Wisconsin on
Q: My 15 year old son was involved in the fight at school with a 19 year old student do I have a lawsuit?

My son was in the classroom the teacher was in the classroom the Bell just rang 19 year old student approach my son was in his face and shove them and they started to fight my son was suspended from school for rest of the school year

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 19, 2017

Can fight the suspension--seems overly harsh, will impact graduation. School is only repsonsible if the 19 year old wasn't supposed to be there or if the 19 year old had a known propensity to violence. However your son 1)being in his face and 2)shoving him makes your son likely to lose.Contact... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Wisconsin on
Q: just turend 18 and I'm dating a 16 year old that is about to be 17 in 3 months I've been dating for 1 year is it legal?
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards answered on Aug 22, 2017

There is noting wrong with you two dating each other and having physical contact with each other. What you do need to be aware of is that since you are the age of majority (18) and your significant other is still a minor, it is against the law to have any sexual relations with them until they reach... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Wisconsin on
Q: In Wisconsin could a 17 year old be emancipated

I am 16 and a half and I would like to be emancipated by the time I turn 17

Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards answered on Aug 22, 2017

There is no statute in Wisconsin. You'll have to wait until you are the age of majority. If you are not safe at home, contact the local social services agency to get help.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Can you Carry A karambit knife with a 3.5" blade and a 4" handle total of 7.5" long around in WI? Im not 18.
William F Sulton Esq.
William F Sulton Esq. answered on Apr 24, 2017

The short answer is yes. But you will need a permit if you want to conceal it. I should add that I am unaware of any current permit procedure for knifes. So you can only openly carry it at present. You also have to avoid certain places, like schools.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Immigration Law and Juvenile Law for Wisconsin on
Q: If applying for a fiancé visa do I need to report these on the application and would it cause a refusal?

I received two underage drinking tickets and a DUI (stupid mistakes all over 5 years ago.) so I'm wondering when it asked if you've been convicted of a crime more than 3 times related to alcohol on the application would I need to disclose all of this. And would this cause issues/refusal?... Read more »

Brendan Lee McAvoy
Brendan Lee McAvoy answered on Feb 23, 2016

Your question needs more detail. Was the DUI in Wisconsin? Generally, the OWI 1st is not a misdemeanor, although depending on the severity of the crime this may not be the case. Tickets are generally municipal forfeitures and not criminal convictions. If you are unsure on the results of your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Wisconsin on
Q: My 17 year old son's backpack was illegally searched. How do I approach the DA about it?

My son's backpack was in a unoccupied parked vehicle and wasn't pulled over. The vehicle was his friends. The police broke into the vehicle. Probable cause was a baggie. They searched my son's backpack and said they found a thc roach and Tobacco. They found out where he worked and... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 31, 2015

Is he charged with a crime? If so, he needs to get an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.