Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wrongful Death Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Wrongful Death for Florida on
Q: How get charged murder if was if was beat death

How shoot gun knocked out

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Jun 18, 2021

Your inquiry is not understandable. Perhaps you should get someone to help you type your question.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Wrongful Death, Legal Malpractice and Medical Malpractice for Florida on
Q: A doctor at Memorial hospital discharged my aunt in worse condition. Prepaid cemetery plot is no longer available.

The only reason why we didn't push for my aunt to be transferred to another hospital was that multiple administrative members assured us that the doctor who discharged my aunt would no longer be assigned to her. 3 days later her heart stops and is in ICU, we then find out that same doctor who... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 16, 2021

You have asked two entirely different questions:

1) If your aunt suffered damages because of how the doctor or hospital treated her, you might want to consult an attorney who practices in that area.

2) You might also want your attorney to review the contract between your family...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Identity Theft, Trademark and Wrongful Death for West Virginia on
Q: Echo Red was my Favorite shoes ever they was the best quality and clothing is timeless how would someone get the brand?

Trademark and holding information I’d like to really revive this brand. I heard they went bankrupt or the revenue didn’t compensate for the money spent. But no wonder everything I ever seen is top quality.

Bill Hulsey
Bill Hulsey answered on Jun 6, 2021

Check USPTO TESS data base. It includes dead trademarks. There are other sources, too.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Wrongful Death for Maryland on
Q: I'm personal Rep. of my Dads Estate, does his wrongful-death award have to go to the Maryland court for disbursement?

I was told some states require wrongful death awards to go through their court to disburse funds to the beneficiaries, over-riding the terms in the deseased's will.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 2, 2021

Was your deceased father the plaintiff in a wrongful death action for the loss of another family member? If so, then his share of any recovery belongs to the estate, and it gets disbursed as part of the estate assets. If the basis of the award is in fact your father's death in an accident,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Wrongful Death for Illinois on
Q: If my dog gt killed by my neighbors dog how do I go about filing a lawsuit
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on May 27, 2021

Wrongful Death law only applies to human beings.

I am a dog lover so I do not tell you this lightly. In the law, a dog is a chattel - it is only worth the fair market value of another dog so, at most, you would file a Small Claims case. Though we treat them like family and grieve their...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Wrongful Death for Missouri on
Q: What can a person do when a step sister put a sister in an old folks home for 13 years so she couldnt inherit property.

Then she presented a death certificate showing she was cremated. The sister finally got out of old folks home and everyone shocked shes alive. All this over 2000 acres of land.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 19, 2021

If the facts are anywhere near what I think you are stating, then the Sister may have several causes of action. She will need a very competent MO attorney to search the titles to the entire 2000 acres first. The present owners and tax histories could be horrible. Hopefully the Sister is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Texas on
Q: If my husband hurts or kills someone when driving drunk, can I be sued? He has own car and own insurance.

I have the papers for divorce. I am hoping he will get help. But he drinks and drives. Even though I have tried to get him to stop, he continues to do it. But I am scared one day he is going to hurt or possibly kill someone. If we are married, can the person or person's family sue me as... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on May 17, 2021

While I hope it never comes to this, however, if you live in a community property state and/or you jointly own assets, then it is possible that you could be made a part of a lawsuit seeking to seize assets in which you have an interest. Of course, before this occurs, there would have to be a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Wrongful Death for Tennessee on
Q: can a person with any amount of meth in system be arrested and charged if they hit a pedestrian and pedestrian dies
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 13, 2021

There could be numerous criminal charges generated by such a scenario. If you know who the defendant is, tell him to not talk to anyone and hire a competent attorney immediately. An insurance company may need to be notified by your attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Wrongful Death and Divorce for Indiana on
Q: Can you be tested for poisons if you aren’t dead?

Honestly fear chemical dosing of malicious intent to disable or kill while inheritance money rapidly dissipated and displaced - obvious tampering of bank transactions evident - 150k gone in my state of undiagnosed impairment - time sick and decommissioned paralleled inheritance distribution all the... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on May 13, 2021

You want to take care that you are not perceived as a paranoid, conspiracy theorist. That said, simply share any concerns that you may have with your general practitioner who can certainly test the presence of most harmful substances, depending upon the symptoms that you experience.

If you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Personal Injury, Elder Law and Wrongful Death for California on
Q: Can attorney for deceased mother be relieved by (uninvolved) uncle if daughter refuses release him?

Attorney for mother who suffered abuse and injury that led to death requested that court relieve him from duty and was denied. The daughter who brought the case refuses to release him. Attorney then contacted the uncle and something was discussed. We were just informed by attorney that he... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Apr 26, 2021

Why would you want an attorney to continue to work for you or your mother despite that attorney clearly wishing to resign? How zealous do you think that attorney will be for your cause if you are forcing him to perform against his will? Slavery comes to mind.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Tennessee on
Q: husband went to va to have clot removed out of Stent, now dead. Clot went to heart and killed him do I have case?

didn't remove clot put him on iv blood thinner and clot went to heart and killed him. He was 61 years old.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 22, 2021

A Tennessee attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband. The best way for you to get an answer to your question would be to reach out to attorneys who handle med mal/wrongful death cases. The question you ask calls for a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Texas on
Q: What could be done against former Temporary Administrator of the Estate of a deceased for making a false claim?

In an accident 30 years ago a person died but his wife survived. A wrongful lawsuit followed that resulted in surviving wife receiving compensation for death of her husband and her injuries. Surviving wife found out recently that Temporary Administrator of the Estate of deceased also received a... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Apr 19, 2021

It has been too long for a criminal conviction because there is a 10 year period specified by the statute of limitations for theft from an estate. See: Texas Code of Criminal Procedure article 12.01(2)(A)

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Illinois on
Q: Can a probation office or officer be held accountable for a wrongful death?

After serving 7 years my son had completed 4 of his 8 years of parole. His original issues involved opiate abuse & addiction and he was ordered to abstain from alcohol and illegal drugs during his parole. The system was such that his parole consisted of a weekly automated call in number and... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Apr 16, 2021

No public servant has any personal liability for anything they do in the course and scope of their job. Remote check-in was extended because of the Pandemic. A parole officer is supposed to treat each parolee as instructed. If the Court did not order random drug testing or if it was suspended... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: HOA - No liability insurance / money / road maintenance. Negligence accident on road - property owners liable?

October 1981 Subdivision recorded. Private Roads. Plat dedicates use of roads to Property Owners. No language on plat transferring Developer road interests to anyone. No HOA mentioned on record plat. Separate "Declaration of Restrictions" filed by Developer in Public Records several days... Read more »

Barbara Billiot Stage
Barbara Billiot Stage answered on Apr 12, 2021

Generally, if the roads are private roads dedicated to the owners, the owners would be equally and severally liable, meaning any judgment would be paid by the one or ones who are able to pay. A judgment would be against every owner and if not paid, a lien against each property. Your neighbors... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death, DUI / DWI and Personal Injury for Florida on
Q: As a home owner, can I be held liable if someone in my home drinks then drives intoxicated and hurts or kills someone?

I live in Florida. This person is a relative 27 y/o and resides with me. On more than one occasion they have arrived home and passed out behind the wheel. I need to protect the rest of my family.

Jonathan Blecher
Jonathan Blecher answered on Apr 12, 2021

Can you be sued? Yes. Will the suit be successful for a wrongful death claim against YOU? Probably not. Is the relative covered on your auto insurance policy? An injured party may go after your homeowners policy, but I don't know how successful that would be.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Florida on
Q: Can my a family member sue a pharmaceutical company over the death of a loved one?

My stepmother was prescribed xenazine, for treatment of Huntington disease. Xenazine has the known side effects of depression and suicidal thoughts. My step mom was never depressed or suicidal before taking this treatment. 4 years ago, she committed suicide at home.

Is it probable to ask... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Apr 11, 2021

Arising from the situation you describe are potential product liability and medical malpractice claims. However, you may have a statute of limitations problem. Not sure which State you are referencing, as you are writing to Fla. attorneys on Justia, but you are writing from Birmingham, Alabama.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Wrongful Death for Georgia on
Q: Is Faking Your Own Death a Crime? And what charges can you get?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 10, 2021

A Georgia attorney could answer best, but your post remains open for two weeks. If it's done in the context of life insurance benefits, which is the common scenario, the crime is generally insurance fraud. Outside of that or other contexts involving illegal acts (but instead done as a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Ohio on
Q: Can I sue the assisted living facility for negligence that caused my father's death? what type of suit would it be?

My father had dementia and was allowed to leave the facility in the middle of the night in the dead of winter. He ultimately froze to death and was found the next morning because he forgot how to get back or where he was going. He walked passed security and night staff, right out the front door.

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Apr 7, 2021

That sounds terrible, I'm sorry for your loss.

Potentially yes. There may be a number of different causes of action viable in your case. These cases are generally very litigious. You need to sit down with a qualified attorney to review the case and discuss your options.

Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability and Wrongful Death for Florida on
Q: A large amount of employees died from cancer. They all worked at a chemical plant. What type of claim would this be?

How to go about pursuing it?

Michael P Mayoral
Michael P Mayoral answered on Apr 7, 2021

This type of claim is known as a "toxic tort", which is essentially a legal claim for harm (disease) caused by exposure to a dangerous substance, such as a chemical. The claim would potentially be against the employer, the manufacturer of the product that is causing people cancer, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Wrongful Death for Georgia on
Q: can a witness also watch and listen to trial as it takes place

I am a child to a deceased mother, who was killed due to domestic violence,, i am almost sure I will have to testify and i would like to listen and watch the trial as it proceeds. My family is saying that’s not allowed and I’m worried.

Christine King
Christine King answered on Apr 1, 2021

I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure this has been very difficult. Unfortunately, sequestration of witnesses is a normal practice. It is designed to illicit truthful testimony that has not been swayed by the testimony of other witnesses. Ultimately, it is up to the judge.

I hope...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.