Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Jeff Vandrew Jr

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for New Jersey on

Q: Own a house with ex-husband who has dementia. Accoding to our wills I inherit his and he inherits mine. Do I need a

Trust?? Also his IRA.will I pay taxes on it?

Jeff Vandrew Jr answered on Jun 20, 2011

Assuming his IRA is a traditional and nor Roth IRA, you will pay income tax as you withdraw the funds. However, NJ law often invalidates Wills which leave property to ex-spouses if the Wills date back before the divorce. In addition to everything else I mentioned, if your ex-husband ends up needing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for New Jersey on

Q: If a Contractor does not pay the supplier for materials used to repair my home, Can a lein be put on my house?

Jeff Vandrew Jr answered on Jun 20, 2011

Usually the answer to this question is yes they can, so long as the proper procedures are followed by the party that didn't get paid. The only upside is that you can never be liable to anyone with a construction lien on your home for more money than you were originally supposed to pay the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for New Jersey on

Q: Can i deduct realty property taxes accrued after death as an administration expense on 706 ?

Jeff Vandrew Jr answered on Jun 20, 2011

The general answer is no. Those expenses would instead be deductible on Form 1041 when the Estate files its income tax return. -Jeff Vandrew Jr, Attorney-CPA,, See Disclaimer:

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on

Q: What is the procedure to amend the bylaws of a corporation incorporated in New Jersey?

Jeff Vandrew Jr answered on Jun 20, 2011

Check the current bylaws and Certificate of Incorporation. They should contain the procedure for their own amendment. The foregoing is for discussion purposes only and is not legal advice.

Jeff Vandrew Jr, Attorney-CPA,


View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for New Jersey on

Q: How to update executor short certificate

Jeff Vandrew Jr answered on Jun 20, 2011

More information would be needed to answer this question fully, but I can tell you that it is likely that whatever action is ultimately taken will need to be taken in the Surrogate's office in the county where the will was probated. That would be the first office to call. The foregoing is for... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.