Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Steve D. Hardin
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Missouri on
Q: St. louis county MO. Married 12yrs have 2 kids, want divorce from husband. Husband is abusive, he lost job 6yrs ago.

I am sole provider for family and house is in my name. I want to leave and rent a safe place but cant pay for both places. Husband refuses to work he has no income. Can I sign a lease and leave family house while married if I fear he will hurt me? Am I legally obligated to support him until we... Read more »

Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin answered on Oct 1, 2020

Please speak to a local family law attorney. More details about the abuse and you situation will be needed to give you a good answer. For instance an order of protection might be in your best interest even if you leave the current home.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Missouri on
Q: I have 2 class d felonies domestic assault and endangering the welfare of child first degree -first offense.

How much time or if anytime do you think I’m looking at?

Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin answered on Sep 28, 2020

To give an educated answer would require a through review of the case against you, your criminal history, and a discussion with you. In other words this is a question you need to ask your criminal defense attorney after thoroughly discussing the case with them.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Missouri on
Q: a sheriff left a note on my door saying that they need to speak with me and they want me to call this #, do I have to?!

I just don’t really trust law enforcement very much

Specially in these days and times

Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin answered on Sep 25, 2020

You absolutely do not have to speak to them. You have the right to remain silent. If the police seek to speak to you might invoke your right to remain silent by saying the magic words. "I want a lawyer." Then shut up do not discuss anything as anything you say to them will be used against you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Missouri on
Q: My son is being accused of touching inappropriately his cousin, this supposedly happened 10-11 yrs ago at 10&14 yrs old
Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin answered on Sep 3, 2020

Your son needs to speak to a criminal defense attorney immediately. He should not speak to anyone other than his attorney or one that he is seeking to hire about this. Anything he says to anyone else may be used against him.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Missouri on
Q: Can a parents rights be terminated for abandonment if his checks are garnished for child support?

My daughter is almost 4 and her biological father hasn't been around since she was about 14 months old. I filed for child support after he told me he wasn't going to help out if he couldn't have me, but has not seen her at all. My husband has been around since she was a few months... Read more »

Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin answered on Aug 17, 2020

No is the short answer. The long answer is that your husband can seek to do a step parent adoption of your daughter that would make him the legal father and terminate the parental rights of the biological father. Realistically you will need an attorney to help with this process.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Missouri on
Q: Father of 15 month old child filed Paternity, Child Support, and Custody with courts. What is he going for?

Father got a full order of protection against me last august. Since then we have tried working on things and hanging out and trying to make things work and getting back together. He never got the order dropped and we are no longer working on things. How is this going to play into what he just filed?

Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin answered on Mar 31, 2020

There is not enough information in your question to give you a good answer. Other than to say that you need to consult with an experienced family law attorney. It is pretty obvious that he is up to something but what his finial goals are would take a full review of the case, talking to you, and... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.