Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Vivek Malik
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Florida on
Q: If I am filing for my wife and I use a lawyer will my lawyer be notified about my filing process from Usics?

Will I be the only one notified by mail or will my lawyer be too?

Vivek Malik
Vivek Malik answered on Apr 30, 2017

If your lawyer is filing an Attorney Representation form G-28 and chooses to be notified, he will be notified of the filing as well. additionally, you may also file a G-1145 form (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance) to get updates on your application progress.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Texas on
Q: Hi, Should I apply for my H1B visa stamping based on current I-797 or my latest approval notice?

my current I-797 is valid till 8/30/17 and I applied for visa extension and got recently approved from 8/31/17 to 2020. I am planning to go for visa stamping next week and was wondering should I fill in DS-160 based on current I-797 which is valid till Aug? Or can I apply for stamping based on the... Read more »

Vivek Malik
Vivek Malik answered on Apr 30, 2017

If your extension is through the same (existing) employer, you should submit both (the existing approval notice and the new I-797) for the visa stamping purpose. The consulate should be able to issue you a visa valid till 2020.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: Can I still apply for citizenship after the divorce?

I was married to my ex for 9 yrs (+4 yrs of dating). It wasn't until the 7th yr that i finally get my green card issued. The actual process of my application only took 1yr though. We got divorce 2.5 yrs after. Now my gc is still valid for another 5yrs. Am i eligible to apply for a citizenship?

Vivek Malik
Vivek Malik answered on Apr 30, 2017

You are eligible for citizenship based on 5 years of your residency. Please contact an attorney to see eligibility based on the dates. The attorney will be able to determine, when you should apply for your citizenship and also other relevant issues related to your naturalization application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.