Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Rick Davis
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Can I limit my liability as cosigner in a multi-tenant lease, with an addendum stating liability limits in dollar value?

being asked to co-sign for my son in a apartment lease that he will be sharing with two other boys. The landlord has agreed to an addendum that will state a limited liability equal to his portion of the rent over the life of the lease. Can this be accomplished ?

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on May 8, 2017

Yes, if both parties agree you can draft an addendum to provide that you are guaranteeing only a portion of the total rent. As long as both parties sign it, it would be enforceable to limit your liability.

*Please be advised that this answer is for information or educational purposes only...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Kansas on
Q: How easy or hard will it be to break a verbal contract involving the sale of some property

- we disagree on what was agreed upon.

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on May 5, 2017

Generally, speaking a contract for the sale of real property must be in writing. There are very limited exceptions to this rule and they usually involve when a party has moved into the home and started making payments in accordance with a verbal agreement. I would also caution that it does not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Kansas on
Q: How long will it take me to register my new business as an LLC?
Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on May 3, 2017

Registering an LLC only takes a few minutes and can be completed online. With that being said, if you have more than one owner in your business, you will likely want an operating agreement, which will take some time to draft depending on your specific needs. If you are going through an attorney,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: 40 year lease states lessee can buy land for 25K. (value 40 years ago). They want to buy but it's worth 225K (39th year)

how do I get out of this? i'm losing 200K in value. I inherited 25% of land and bought out the others.

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on May 2, 2017

If the lease specifically says they can buy it at a set price, you are probably stuck. With that being said, an attorney can not really answer that question without looking at the document. I would recommend you have an attorney review the contract and provide you an opinion. It is going to cost... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Employment Law for Kansas on
Q: Can use a picture of my work thru one company and use it for my own company website.

I have a picture of a yard that i maintained for a mowing company. I now have my own mowing company and mow for myself. Can i use that same picture of my work for that company and put it on my website

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on Apr 27, 2017

Who took the picture? When was it taken. If you did not take the picture than you can not use it without permission. If you did take the picture, but took it as an employee of the other company, they likely also have the rights to the picture as "employee work product."

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Kansas on
Q: If a Homeowners Association owns a street because the city will not accept it, does the HOA also own utility lines?

If "yes" and this was not disclosed to homeowners (or to HOA), what recourse do the homeowners have?

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on Apr 27, 2017

Generally speaking, the Utility Company would own the utility lines and there would be an easement over the street allow them to run and maintain the line.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Consumer Law and Contracts for Kansas on
Q: How to obtain car title or court order for a car i just purchased?

I bought a car from a guy in Kansas and i have the Bill of Sale, 2 other witnesses, registration papers, and insurance papers. I need to obtain the title but he didn't have it and to him it'll take him $200 to obtain them since he says he needs to drive to Topeka to sign papers. I call BS... Read more »

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on Apr 27, 2017

The only way to obtain a title if he doesn't provide one is to file a quiet title suit. A quiet title suit is a legal proceeding where you ask the court to declare you the owner of the vehicle. Kansas legal services has a guide on how to file these suits. Here is a link to that information:... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.