Questions Answered by Victoria Collins

Q: I am a grandparent. I would like to persure custody of my granddaughter.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Texas on
Answered on Jan 20, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
You may petition for custody if the child had been in your possession and care for at least 6 months (not necessarily consecutive months). Consult a family law attorney to help you.

Q: Can a policeman charge you with possession of cocaine if you actually have crack on you legally

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Answered on Jan 14, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
Yes, you can be arrested for possession of any illegal substance. However if police misidentify the substance you actually possessed the DA can drop the charge on the cocaine and then proceed on a charge for the crack.

Q: Is there an attorney who does pro bono or reduced rate divorce for a victim of abuse?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Texas on
Answered on Jan 13, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
Try Lone Star Legal Aid on Market Street in Galveston.

Q: is There any type of legal document or court order to make my wife or Chase Bank transfer house money to my account

2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Divorce for Texas on
Answered on Jan 13, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
I agree with Ms. Thornton’s answer. Whether or not your name is on the mortgage is irrelevant. What matters is whether the house was purchased before marriage or during the marriage. If it was purchased during the marriage, the house is presumed community property. I recommend consultation with a family lawyer.

Q: Ok so like if my judgement papers from 2003 the day of my sentencing say from the judge I don't have to register under a

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Texas on
Answered on Jan 12, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
If a person is convicted of a sexually-oriented crime then that person is required under Chapter 62 to register as a sex offender. However, without more information here I can’t make determination as to the length of time you were required to remain registered. Further, their are options available under that same chapter that allows motion for early release or exemption.

Q: Can she put me on child support? Do i have any legal obligation to the child?

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas on
Answered on Jan 11, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
If her husband had his name placed on the child’s birth certificate and he resided with the child the first two years of child’s life, he is the presumed father, but this can be rebutted through a paternity suit. So if she files a paternity suit then the court is likely to order a dna test to make sure you are the father. If you are in fact the father you can voluntarily terminate your parental rights.

Q: I pay cs to my ex for our daughter. N she's keeping our daughter away from me CS gets taken out of my check

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Texas on
Answered on Jan 8, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
Your obligation to pay child support is not contingent on whether or not you are allowed visitation with your child and vice-versa. You are entitled to see your child, so you want to see a lawyer who practices family law who can help you enforce your visitation rights.

Q: Inheritance and divorce

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Texas on
Answered on Jan 6, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
No you aren’t. An inheritance is separate property regardless of how the beneficiary chooses to spend it. Her paycheck however is income. And all income received during the marriage is presumed community property.

Q: Is the cost of a drug inpatient program responsibility of non-custodial parent? My daughter is 17.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Texas on
Answered on Jan 4, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
The answer to your question lay in your Final decree of Divorce, your Order of Conservatorship, Mediation Settlement Agreement, or whatever document you have that lays out each parent's rights and duties. Whichever parent is responsible for medical care that is who must pay for the program. Sometimes this is a shared expense. Your being estranged from your daughter does not relieve you of your rights and duties as her parent.

Q: If my child support was terminated and the mother of my child signed off on the papers how could it come back

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Texas on
Answered on Jan 2, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
It depends on the circumstances. Has the child aged out? Turned 18? We’re there child support in arrears and due? What papers did your ex sign? These questions must be answered before an attorney could advise you.

Q: My job is going to offer Health Ins but my ex has my son on Medicaid and is opposed. Do I have to cover him on my plan?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas on
Answered on Jan 1, 2019
Victoria Collins' answer
If your Final decree designates you as the parent who provides the child health insurance, then you are the one responsible to provide. Once you have added the child to your health plan, you may want to seek legal counsel regarding the modification of your support requirements so that you are not paying for Medicaid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.