Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Angela Peters
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois on
Q: Third Party Custody/Visitation/Financial Reimbursement? Raised nephew for 7 years. Now birth mother took him.

No father on birth cert. Birth mother in and out of life...more like an aunt. Well documented. Now that she's marrying bf (of 5 years)....and she puts nephew in school/daycare the majority of the time....she took my nephew. I don't have any legal rights. I tried, but it was never... Read more »

Angela Peters
Angela Peters answered on Oct 3, 2016

You mm ay have no right to the parental rights you are seeking, since the child is now in the physical possession of a parent. I suggest you discuss this with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Do I have a right to see my settlement agreement?My husbands attorney is holding it and court is 2 days

My husbands attorney was supposed to do a settlement agreement and terms were discussed 20 days ago and court is in 2 days. She has still not sent it. What do I do ?

Angela Peters
Angela Peters answered on Sep 30, 2016

You need to be in court. The other attorney may tell the Judge it is being worked on, or may say something else to the Judge that you don't agree with. If you feel something is not right, let the Judge know.

Of course, if you have your own attorney, your attorney should be doing...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: I am 4 days to prove up Don't I have a right to see settlement agreement papers before court?

My husband deserted me 6 years ago and I don't even know if this is him. I live in TN and he shows up when he wants. I have an attorney but last time I started questioning stuff he threatened to walk away. Don't I have the right to see that this is my husband that is divorcing me. His... Read more »

Angela Peters
Angela Peters answered on Sep 28, 2016

Of course, you have the right to see settlement papers. In order to qualify as a settlement, both names have to appear on it. If you are being asked to sign it, then you need to read it first. I can't tell from the fact description if one of you lives in one state, and one lives in another... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.