Placerville, CA asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: Can a lawyer help me to negotiate with my mortgage company?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Ute Ferdig

  • Newcastle, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you can hire an attorney to help you negotiate with your mortgage company, but it has become increasingly difficult to find an attorney who will take on these kind of cases because of all the bad press and laws that prohibit advance payments for this kind of service. I am assuming you are trying to get a loan modification and the success rate for permanent loan modifications is very low. While I don't handle loan modifications for my clients, I do provide a free consultation to determine if they would qualify and if they choose to proceed with a loan modification, I will tell them how to put together the package to increase their chances at success. In my experience, many loan modification applications fail because the home owners don't understand the eligibility requirements and they don't do a good job at providing the necessary information to the lender.

Zaher Fallahi

  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, loan modification lawyers can help you. Unfortunately, there may not be very many of them because of the bad conduct of some lawyers in the last several years and facing the severe consequences of some of them for their conduct. Call the Bar Association for referral. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.