Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law for Minnesota

Q: Can i still have my parental rights if i voluntarily let my son go stay with his father in another state?

My son is staying with his father in another state. the father refuses to let me have any contact with my son and has moved since he/my son went to live there we never went to court for custody or visitation i would like have contact with my son but do not know where they are or how to contact them they have been gone since 2007. what can i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
  • Orange, CA
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: No, you did not give up any rights by letting your son live with his father. You are, however, going to have to start a child custody and child support proceeding with the court where your son is residing. Obviously, you are going to have to find them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.