Olive Branch, MS asked in Probate for Mississippi

Q: Do I need an lawyer for getting my husbands cars,property etc. in Mississippi? He passed away.

He was an alcoholic and his mother and father took advantage of him until he died. He was disabled and had his mother as payee on SSI and never got his check and was unable to conduct business due to issues to his brain from alcohol and liver failure. All things that they had him do without me knowing are now coming at me since he passed away. I have no medical documents at this time stating his mind frame.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albert Pettigrew, Jr.
Albert Pettigrew, Jr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Ocean Springs, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Being on SSI indicates he had a very small estate. You may be able to obtain the assets in his bank accounts using an affidavit of successor in interest. An attorney can prepare it for you. As to the other property, you may need to open a probate of his estate with the assistance of an attorney. Your last sentence indicates you are considering the possibility of contesting his transfers of property to his mother because of undue influence and incompetence. That will also require the services of an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.