Q: I wkd at this co for 17+ years. I was fired over a policy in place for 1 month and was not warned.
I also had reported to the office liason my thoughts about boss getting pricing from family members, re: printing for marketing info, etc. I have not received my 1st qtr commission bonus, and my pay wasn't received until 5 days after my dismissal. do I have a case?
A: Dear Fired,
I just found your June posting. Here are the quick answers:
1. Oregon has strict time limits on when a person must be paid after termination. You might have had a claim.
2. If you have not asked for your personnel file, you should, and see what is in there.
3. You have time limits to make any claim. If you are late, then your claims are lost forever.
4. If you violated a policy that you knew about and that was lawful, and if they fire everyone who violates the policy, then you might not have much of a case. Unless there is some contract that requires a warning, then they do not have to give you a warning.
5. If the real reason for firing was something else, then the question is what was the real reason. if it is just you squealed on the boss for doing something that was not against the law, that does not sound like much of a case. But this answer is about worth what you paid for it - nothing. You might want to hire a lawyer to go through this in detail. 17 years is a long career.
Jeff Merrick, Oregon Trial Attorney
Injury & Employment Law
The above is not legal advice. I cannot give you sound advice without knowing more information. It is intended to raise some issues for you to discuss with your own lawyer.
Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.
The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.
Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.