New Jersey, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: My brother who is 24 and mentally challanged has been abused and we need to get guardianship over him, but have no help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jake Causing Santos
Jake Causing Santos
  • Mount Olive, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You could file a complaint with the local police department but you will have to have some way to substantiate your claim of abuse.

If the abuse was from a healthcare worker, you may be able to file a complaint with the agency that employed the worker or file a complaint with the State if the healthcare worker is licensed by the State.

Your brother may also be able to receive assistance from the NJ Division of Developmental Disabilities, which may include funds to pay for a guardianship proceeding.

You can also hire your own attorney to file for guardianship. Our firm practices in the area of guardianship and disability and may be able to help. More info about our firm is available at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.