Rose, OK asked in Employment Discrimination for Oklahoma

Q: Is there anything tp help me with a breathing problem caused by fragrances at work?

I have breathing problems when exposed to fragrances, my Dr has given my work documentation, they have made some allowances to the problem, but there is a vendor who comes in with cologne so strong I can smell him through the door. I have asked him to sell his stuff in the breakroom, he got ugly and told me to keep my door closed, this does not solve the problem and I work there. Is there anything I can do with this situation? If I pepper spray him, I'm in trouble, but he is abusing me by making me sick,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) can apply to a person who has allergic or asthmatic responses to fragrances. Whether the ADA applies to your particular situation depends on all the surrounding facts and circumstances. If ADA applies, your employer may have to do more to protect you from exposure to fragrances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.