Brentwood, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for California


My children's father was found guilty of armed robbery in 2009 and sentenced to 13 years in state prison. I attended the court hearing in which witnesses testified that they never saw a weapon in his hand, but they believe he had one. There was another person involved in the incident where he has already been convicted to 5 years in state prison but has currently been released for his time served. He has no criminal background whatsoever, and witnesses testified the other person involved touched the money, and there is when they saw the weapon my question is why did he get so much time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy V. Kassouni
Timothy V. Kassouni
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Below, please find legal resources that offer legal services for free or low-cost.

Los Angeles County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service

This agency helps potential clients find attorney’s with expertise in the field of law required. They will set-up a half hour attorney consultation by phone for a nominal fee (approximately $50)

Find an attorney by phone: (213) 243-1525 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST)

Find an attorney online:

Get information about legal issues online:

Central California Legal Services, Inc.

2115 Kern Street, Suite 1

Fresno, CA 93721

Telephone: (559) 570-1200

Fax: (559) 570-1254

Toll free: (800) 675-8001

TTY: (559) 570-1256

Law Help California

California Courts (self-help)

Free Legal Aid California - SAN FRANCISCO

California Rural Legal Assistance Inc. 631 Howard Street Suite 300 San Francisco, CA 94105-3907 Office: (415) 777-2752 Service Area: Colusa, Imperial, Madera, Monterey (North Coast and Salinas Valley areas), San Benito, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, Santa Clara (Gilroy and Morgan Hill areas), Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Yuba, Kern (northwest portion), Santa Barbara (northern portion including Santa Maria)

Sacramento County Bar Association –Lawyer Referral Service

Phone: 916.564.6707

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.