Patillas, PR asked in Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: My dad passed away in 2010 in Puerto Rico, my sister was in charge of estate. I was completely left out of will.

What can, or should, I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers
Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: In Puerto Rico, the law provides forced heirs. In general, the law reserves a minimum of 1/3 of the deceased estate to the forced heirs. A forced heir can be left out of the inheritance by disinheritance through a will and only under the grounds provided by law. If you were excluded of the testament and were not lawfully disinherited, you are entitled to request and / or require participation of inheritance. We suggest you contact an attorney in P.R. because you have to claim your rights in time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.