Can I take my kids to another state there is no custody order or court involved

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Stephen J. Plog

Answered 2 years ago

So long as there are no court orders or a custody case going on, you are free to leave Colorado with your child. Keep in mind that Colorado would have jurisdiction over your child for custody purposes for a period of 6 months after you leave. The other parent could certainly file a case, as well as a motion to have the child returned to Colorado, but technically you can go. How the court responds will depend on the facts of your case and the relationship between the child and the other parent.