Walstonburg, NC asked in Health Care Law for North Carolina

Q: My mother had a stroke.I am her medical power of attorney. My sister is disabled,how do I become her P.O.A.?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Medical or financial? Is your sister mentally competent notwithstanding her disability? Where does your sister live?

If your sister lives in NC or GA, I can prepare a medical and/or financial power of attorney for her for a reasonable fee.

If she resides in a state other than NC, she should consult an attorney in that state. Your sister would need to complete a power of attorney and name you as her agent.

If your sister is not mentally competent, then you will need to pursue a guardianship for her finances and person. Some states call a financial guardian the conservator. I would suggest that if you need to pursue a guardianship that you get an attorney who does elder or family law as they are familiar with these situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.