Decatur, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Three and half years later found my husband was still married to his first wife, after we got married.

He no longer live in Ga. no ideal where he is ,what can i do, don't have money for a divorce ,but am I legally married and to get out this fake marriage ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can contact the authorities in your county regarding his bigamy. You are not legally married. Therefore, you get a annulment, not a divorce. You may want to consult with an attorney regarding this matter. I'm quite sure the two of you have co-mingled matters. An attorney may be able to find your "husband." Even if your "husband" cannot be found, it will not prevent you from obtaining the annulment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.