Purcell, OK asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: I am trying to get a divorce from my husband. I don't know where he is at and he hasn't contacted me in 2yrs.

The last thing he said to me was to hurry and get my divorce. I have not heard from since than

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you meet the Jurisdictional requirements for filing a petiton for divorce, now called dissolution in Oklahoma,you may file the petiton and conduct a diligent search for the address of your husband in order to attempt to serve him the Dissolution papers.If you have made a diligent effort to locate your spouse in order to serve him with the petiton and service of summons and all efforts have failed in your attempt to locate him, you can file pleadings with the Court setting forth the efforts you have made and the Court may then allow you to publish notice of your filing of the Petiton for Dissolution in a legal Newspaper in the County where you filed your petition. It must be published once a week for three consecutive weeks and meet certain requirements of language that must be included in the notice in order to notify your husband of the filing of your petition. You cannot get a Decree of Dissolution prior to forty one days from the first date the publication notice was published. The publication notice will state a date and time for him to answer your petiton or a Decree of Dissolution will be granted to you. On that date, you may appear before the assigned Judge and request he issue a Judgment for Dissolution of your marriage. All your required paperwork must be correct as well as the proof of publication obtained from the newspaper that your notice was published in which you must file with the District Court Clerk in the County where your Petition was filed. Once the Judge has reviewed the file and the required documents, he will swear you in and will ask certain questions of you pertaining to the Jurisdiction of the Court and your efforts in attempting to locate your spouse in order to serve him. Once the Judge is satisfied that the Court has Jurisdiction and the notice was sufficient pursuant to law, he may grant you a dissolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.