Couple not married custody of child?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Robert Jason De Groot

Answered 2 years ago

If the parties were not married, a paternity action needs to be filed. It should not matter who files it, but the father is generally regarded as having no rights in the child unless he files a paternity and gets his rights either agreed to or ordered by the court.